News

GMIM - 19 May 2008

GMIM - 19 May 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Mike Crudge writes... Picture this: It was my turn to facilitate communion (Eucharist, Lords Supper...) at the church I go to.  So I get the NZ Blood Service people to come to church that morning and set up a couch at the front and as I'm re-telling the communion story - about Jesus giving his blood, I have a needle in my arm and blood is flowing out slowly filling up a 470ml blood donation bag (which takes me about 5 minutes to fill)... I know different Christians believe a variety of things about the end times and the Kingdom of God, and whatever you believe about this affects the way you live now.  By giving blood myself during communion I was wanting to hook into the church's fascination with blood and show a simple way of the transformation that I believe Christians are to be about in the 'now-ness' of the Kingdom of God. Just as Jesus caused physical (as well as spiritual) transformation in people's lives, that too must be on our minds and giving blood in 21st century NZ is one easy way to holistic-ise our faith - and what better way to be Christ-like than to give blood?

"The gift of blood can only come from another human being... there are no substitutes."  This isn't from the Bible, but from www.nzblood.co.nz (but there's a nice implicit incarnation link in this text).  "It isn't every day you can do something to save someone's life - but that's exactly what you do every time you donate blood. Blood is a priceless gift - a lifesaver."  "Blood is indeed something special. It can't be manufactured and it can't be replaced by animal blood." (aka OT animal sacrifices won't do) "Yet statistics show that less than 5% of all possible donors in NZ give each year," (this could be seen as either poor tithing or a lack of  'harvesters') "while at the same time over 80% of us may need a blood product in our lifetime" (a Calvinistic predestination allusion of the 'chosen' perhaps).

I've only given blood since 2002 so I can remember why I never gave it.  It now surprises me how many people don't give it, when these same people would happily receive it.  Your greatest chance of needing blood today will probably be if you get into a car: car-crash victims often need blood, will you say "no, don't give it to me..."?  Don't worry, just as Jesus freely gave, so too do blood donors.

I didn't really give blood during communion - but I plan to do this sometime.

MONDAY 19th

Community Worship

1:15-1:35pm in the Chapel

Prior Appointment:

All welcome

TUESDAY 20th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Yeah Right!

Mick Duncan

Facilitated by Intermission students

After Dinner Mints

Dean Clarkson & Sam Kilpatrick

Dean and Sam are  pastoral leadership graduates of Carey from 2005 and 2007 respectively. Sam is an associate pastor at Manurewa Baptist Church and Dean is the sole pastor at Mangere Baptist Church.

WEDNESDAY 21st

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

19 May 2008

CAFÉ THEOS

Monday 26 May....

...meet at Myk Habets' office at 12:30pm

We will meet over lunch to discuss the latest reading. Readings are available from Myk.

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday 20 May

8:45am - 4pm

An opportunity for those interested in study at Carey, to come and join us onsite and see what a day at Carey is like plus have the opportunity to ask questions.

If you know of people who may be thinking about coming to Carey, encourage them to this tomorrow.

Contact Neroli for details of the day and to register.  registrar@carey.ac.nz  

WISH YOU HAD A STUDY BUDDY?

Welcome back for the second half-semester. Is it going OK?

If you've found the first couple of assignments hard going or perhaps a little discouraging could a study buddy help? There are still a few students (second year or above) who would be willing to spend an occasional half hour with you. They could help you work out what an assignment is asking for, give some study advice, have a look at what you're doing and check if you're on track - if you think that might be useful to you, get in touch.

George Wieland (george.wieland@carey.ac.nz; 526 6593)

@ THE LIBRARY

Reserve Books - These are the books put On Reserve each Semester by the lecturer. Please replace these books back on the Reserve shelves regularly. Do not leave them in your study carrel upstairs while you're in lectures.

Reference Books - Please return these regularly to the Reference shelves and do not leave them in your study carrels while you're in a lecture or overnight.

If we follow these processes it will mean that everyone gets a chance to use these items.

Did you know that you can borrow a Reserve Book overnight at 6.30pm and then return it by 8.30am in the morning?

"GIRLS' BRUNCH OUT"

An end of semester breakfast/brunch for the women of college

Saturday 7 June; 9:15am

Escape Café,

401 Mt Eden Rd
, Mt Eden

Cost:your own so spend up large or little!

Please let Rachel know by 30 May if you can come so we can confirm numbers with the café.

GIVING BLOOD

For onsite students: There are blood donor rooms just up the road at

71 Great South Rd
, Epsom.  They have a shuttle and mobile service too, so if enough people were keen we could arrange a group effort - let Mike know if you're interested mike.crudge@carey.ac.nz

For distance students: check out www.nzblood.co.nz for your local place to give.

EYES OPEN...

Onsite students...please keep an eye on your assigned duties if you have them and for everyone, an eye on cleaning up after you've used a particular area. It's a huge help to us in keeping the place tidy for everyone.

CAREY T-SHIRTS

We still have some Carey T-shirts in limited sizes available for sale at $10 each from reception.

Distance students email enquiries@carey.ac.nz if you'd like one.

Women - L only

Men - L, XL and XXL

Crew neck style; sizes are quite long