News

GMIM - 26 May 2008

GMIM - 26 May 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Frances Leung writes...

I want to share with you my experience of the death of my beloved great aunt that happened last year.

I had a strong bond with my great aunt because her family took care of me in the first two years of my life. I was brought up at church, while they got involved with the traditional Chinese religion Daoism when I was 14, just before I came to NZ. Due to the distance between two places I did not have much contact with them, nor did I have much prayer for them. But whenever I went back to Hong Kong I tried to talk about Jesus, using the 'evangelical skills' that I learned, but not really the 'listening skills', so you can imagine how well they would listen to me.

My great aunt had suffered from many types of illness over the years. Last year I got a phone call from them to say that she was diagnosed with only three months to live. I was stunned by the news, but most of all, I regretted that I had not been praying for the salvation of her spiritual life. I confessed to the Lord but acknowledged that it does not depend on my work or the amount of my prayers; all I could do was to cry out to Him for mercy and put all my hopes in Him.

The evening I arrived Hong Kong, I went straight to the hospital that my great aunt was staying. With more than 20 relatives and friends standing around (as they thought she was going to die) I was a bit scared. I then had courage from the Spirit and I briefly talked about Jesus and asked if she would accept Him into her life. She could not talk a lot at that stage, but she nodded her head firmly, even though she was being constantly reminded to follow the 'leader' of her religion after this life. All the people around witnessed her nod too. I was so amazed and grateful for the work of God.

She passed away five days later. I went with her daughters (my aunties) to arrange the funeral for her. They chose the Daoism way for sure. But surprisingly one of my aunts asked my opinion of the arrangements. I told her that I'd be happy if they are happy. I then realised how different it is when I learned to 'accept' and to 'walk with' them in their life journeys, that my aunt also became more open to me. Now I pray that they would accept Jesus one day too, by the mercy of God.

MONDAY 26th

Community Worship

PRIOR APPOINTMENT is changing!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

TUESDAY 27th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Yeah Right!

Myk Habets

Facilitated by Darren Ayling & Antony Glading

After Dinner Mints

David Moko

With a background in YWAM, David took up the role of Kaihautu for Baptist Maori Ministries in 2007 and is based on Level One with the Baptist Union offices two days a week.  He and his family are involved with Harvest Baptist Church in Manurewa.

WEDNESDAY 28th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.mester 1

26 ay 2008

CAFÉ THEOS...ON TODAY

12:45-1:45PM

Join us for theological conversation at McDonald's Greenlane conference room (meet outside Myk's office to car pool.

The Reverend Brian Krum will be our special guest! A reading is available from Myk.

"GIRLS' BRUNCH OUT"

An end of semester breakfast/brunch for the women of college

Saturday 7 June; 9:15am

Escape Café,

401 Mt Eden Rd
, Mt Eden

Cost:your own so spend up large or little!

Please let Rachel know by 30 May if you can come so we can confirm numbers with the café.

STUDENT DISCOUNTS

1) Warehouse Stationery

The  store adjacent to Carey is offering a 10% discount to Carey students. You simply need to ask for it and show your Carey ID.

Please note that it is only the Penrose store that has this offer.

2) Subway@ Caltex Penrose (across the road from Carey)

Buy a 6-inch or foot-long sub or a wrap, ask for the discount and show your Carey ID and you'll receive a free drink and cookie.

Thanks to the Student Convenor Mike Warring for arranging these for you!

WORKING TOWARDS SEMESTER TWO

For returning students (distance or onsite)...please remember that the enrolment deadline for semester two courses is Wednesday 25 June.

And on the money front - fees for semester two are due Friday 11 July.

If you have not decided on courses and need to talk this through please connect with Russell Thorp (Dean of undergraduate Studies) or Neroli Hodges (Registrar) sooner rather than later.

THE PRIOR APPOINTMENT THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

"When Christians do not live with a deep sense of gratitude for what God has done for them in Christ, they will become engulfed in anxieties and will be tempted to look for security in something other than Christ."

WEEKLY WORSHIP

Please note that Community Worship on a Monday ("PRIOR APPOINTMENT") is changing!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

On occasion during these days the chapel may be in use. Please take note of this and visit for Prior Appointment around these times.

INTERESTED IN CROSS-CULTURAL MISSION RESOURCES?

Remember to make use of the Centre for Intercultural Studies at the end of the hallway opposite Room 2. There are a number of print and visual resources available to look at plus information from many of the mission agencies in NZ - grab a magazine, hang out on the couch, jump on the mission websites. It's a resource room available for your use.

On occasion there will also be representatives from mission agencies working in there - we'll let you know when they are onsite - but make the most of the opportunities to talk with them.