News

GMIM 12 May 2008

GMIM 12 May 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Graeme Smith writes...

Tuesday last week I got up early to go for a run along the beach. I got as far as the front door to discover the rain pouring down. Plan B, a quiet workout in the gym in the apartment block we're living in. As I entered I found that someone else had also moved to plan B. It was the lady from the penthouse apartment. Now you may not appreciate that apartment block residents tend to isolate themselves and are only rarely seen when they have the misfortune to get into a lift that is already occupied.

The fact that I startled this lady when I walked in was a great conversation starter. I apologised. The conversation quickly moved on to the weather as the standard "safe" discussion topic with our apartment dwellers. Not deterred and in keeping with the weather theme I ask if she and her husband were planning a break from work during the winter. I think she was encouraged that someone had taken the time to ask and proceeded to tell me how they had a trip booked to go to Tuscany for a couple of weeks before moving on to Venice and finishing up with a week on a 100 foot launch around the Mediterranean.

There was a period of silence in the gym while I rowed the next half a kilometre and she bicycled with her eyes shut, I'm sure thinking about the Tuscany countryside. Then she asked, with what I thought was genuine concern, whether I would get very wet riding my bike to work. I assured her that I dressed up for the occasion and so it wasn't a problem. It became clear that the reason she was asking about my bike was to lead into the conversation that her husband wanted to buy a Harley Davidson and she was trying hard to dissuade him from doing so. Now being a male I thought it was my duty to suggest that it might be good for him to have an outlet for his passion for things mechanical. Her response was to inform me it would probably gather dust with the last toy he purchased, that now sits in the basement garage and doesn't get used. What was this other toy you may ask? It was the Ferrari he had purchased last year when he sold his Maserati.

I finished my plan B workout with a quick 3 km run in front of the full-length gym mirror. As I went to the lift my gym cohabiter also got in and while she punched the key for the lofty heights of the penthouse, I exited on the lowly level 3 to contemplate a winter in Penrose.

As I rode my bike through the rain and traffic to work, I contemplated my morning thus far. Words that came to mind were ones like envy, jealousy; you know the usual things you knock yourself over the head with. The one I felt deserved my attention was perspective.

When I arrived at work that morning and picked up a copy of the latest Baptist magazine, I saw Tim Bulkeley 's article on the Karen people of the Mae La Refugee camp. It was really encouraging to see that worthwhile time away from work is not about Tuscany , Venice , or the Mediterranean , but about being able to go to places like Mae La and experiencing God through the reality of life in a refugee camp. - Thanks Tim, this was the perspective I needed.

MONDAY 12th

Community Worship

1:15-1:35pm in the Chapel

Prior Appointment: "Rhythm of love ripples on"

All welcome

TUESDAY 13th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Spirit Then & Now: Luke 4:14-22

Laurie Guy

Facilitated by Bryce McKeown & Ben Wakefield

After Dinner Mints

Jo Duncan

Amongst study for a Social Science degree , Jo has founded a social action movement (Streetworks) for young people to involve themselves in their community. She also spends most days in high schools presenting programmes on sexual health, relationships and life skills.

WEDNESDAY 14th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

12 May 2008

WELCOME BACK...!

...to this second half of the semester...5 weeks of teaching to go! Hope you all had some time out (whether distance or onsite) and had a good shot at a number of assessments ☺☺

CAFÉ THEOS

Monday 26 May....meet at Myk Habets' office at 12:30pm

We will meet over lunch to discuss the latest reading. Readings are available from Myk.

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday 20 May

8:45am - 4pm

An opportunity for those interested in study at Carey, to come and join us onsite and see what a day at Carey is like plus have the opportunity to ask questions.

If you know of people who may be thinking about coming to Carey, encourage them to this.

Contact Neroli for details of the day and to register. registrar@carey.ac.nz

LANYARDS

To maintain security at 473 Great South Road , all staff and students have been given a lanyard for attaching their swipe card to. Please wear the lanyard to identify yourself as being part of the Carey community. If you do not have a lanyard please see Chris Lucas in the reception area. Thank you.

WISH YOU HAD A STUDY BUDDY?

Welcome back for the second half-semester. Is it going OK?

If you've found the first couple of assignments hard going or perhaps a little discouraging could a study buddy help? There are still a few students (second year or above) who would be willing to spend an occasional half hour with you. They could help you work out what an assignment is asking for, give some study advice, have a look at what you're doing and check if you're on track - if you think that might be useful to you, get in touch.

George Wieland (george.wieland@carey.ac.nz; 526 6593)

SECURITY AND BUILDINGS

Over the holiday period, it was noted that members of the public were let into the library one evening which should not have happened. Because of the need to maintain security on site at all times, please be vigilant about who might be going in. Thank you.

TIM'S BIG 60 RAMBO BASH!

Tim Bulkeley invites you all (and anyone else who is interested) to "Tim's Big 60 Rambo* Feast."

6pm Sunday 18th May

Balmoral Baptist Church

corner Dominion Rd and Queens Ave ,

Balmoral , Auckland

RSVP for catering to tim@carey.ac.nz or

09 526 0344

Loads of yummy Karen-style food (not too spicy), photos, videos (though not of Sylvester) and stories from the Mae La Refugee Camp and an IDP (Internally Displaced Person) village.

Please bring a cash present - not for Tim - but for relief of victims of Cyclone Nargis and the Myanmar Government and also the Bethel Baptist Church in the Karen IDP village, to help their school. (The village and school also feature in "Mission Matters" in this Baptist.)

If we all give what we'd normally pay for an evening out, we'll raise enough for some significant relief work (that enters through the back door) and to give a load of Karen IDP kids a better education, and we'll have some fun...

...for those who can't make it and will be deprived, there are photos and videos at

http://AsiaBible.WordPress.com

* while I was in the Karen refugee camp and IDP village, people in NZ were watching the Rambo film where he rescues Karen IDPs. So be like Rambo! Help the IDPs!

It would be great if you could be there, and do bring anyone else who might be interested, even if they have never met me they are welcome!