News

GMIT - 5 June 2007

GMIT - 5 June 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Laurie Guy writes...

In the Tuesday chapels we've had a number of addresses taken from the Sermon on the Mount. I'm not taking one of those; so here's my take on Matthew 6.

I've been doing a lot of research in the last year or two on how the churches of New Zealand have responded in the past on various public issues: alcohol, abortion, the 1981 Springbok tour, feminism etc. Another of my topics is sexuality.

Back in 1954 there was reported major incidence of underage sex in the Hutt Valley. This led to sixty youths being prosecuted. It also led to a government inquiry known as the Mazengarb inquiry. Mazengarb, who headed the inquiry, was a Baptist lawyer. His report underscored the pervasive public view of the time that sex found its appropriate location only within marriage (how times have changed!). However, while Mazengarb's report affirmed the traditionally-held stance it recognised that change was afoot. 1954 was, after all, the year when James Dean's Rebel without a Cause came out on the big screen and was just before Marlon Brando's The Wild One was to appear.

As part of my research I thought I had better view Rebel without a Cause. So there I was in the middle of this morally anarchic movie last week when the phone rang. It was L. J. Hooker on the line. Not Mr Hooker, but one of his minions. I listened politely for a couple of minutes while the Hooker man told me about a wonderful seminar to show me how to multiply my money through property investment. Then the crunch question, 'Would I like material sent to me, followed up with contact with a view to going to the seminar?'

'No', I said emphatically. The Hooker man was ready to hang up, but I went on. 'You'll probably think I'm a bit weird', I said, 'but I don't want to make any more money. I could have made a lot more money that I have, but I don't want to. It all seems so pointless and empty'. The Hooker man was now quick to end the conversation and get away from this weird bloke.

And I - I went back to Rebel without a Cause to see the tragic outcome of a whole lot of rich kids who seemed to lack love and positive purpose in their lives.

And I thought of Jesus' words: 'Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth. . . . But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness' (Matthew 6.19, 33).

And I thought, is it these words or the Hooker words which are the drivers in our society? And even in the thinking of us Christians?

TUESDAY 5th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Paul Windsor

"Celebrating Simplicity"

After Dinner Mints

Mark Strom

Mark is the Principal of the Bible College of NZ in Henderson. His background includes working as an adviser to corporate, government, educational and community leaders.

WEDNESDAY 6th

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

CAFÉ THEOS

No Café Theos this week....we'll resume in Semester Two.

@ THE LIBRARY

Extra late nights @ the Library

Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th June

open until 9pm

Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th June

open until 9pm

Tuesday 19th and Wednesday 20th June

open until 9pm

ACCESS HOURS OVER THE BREAK

Admin Building: 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (exception Monday 11th June which is normal Monday hours for make up classes)

Chapel/Dining: 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (exception Monday 11 June for evening class)

If you are around over the mid-year break please be aware that noise levels may be higher than normal due to the renovations.

ACADEMICS.....

A couple of things from Neroli...

A)           Evaluation forms: please remember to complete these and hand/post to Neroli as soon as possible. Distance students, these are in your course books.

A)           Semester Two enrolments: The closing date for returning students in semester two courses in Wednesday 20 June.  If you are not currently enrolled but are thinking and planning towards this, please do so sooner rather than later.

PLANNING FOR SEMESTER TWO

Although the focus is on finishing Semester One at the moment, there are a number of things due to happen in the early weeks of Semester Two that you will need to keep aware of:

1)         Art week: 23-27 July - Guest speaker and artist, some hands-on activities, kids' colouring competition, art integrated into lecture discussions, art displayed around the college...Keep thinking now about your own art and what you would like to contribute and have displayed for that week. Distance students  - we'd love to have some of your artwork here too - you'll just need to get it to us! Keep an eye on careyonline for further details in July.

2)         Orientation: For all new students there will be a 'mini-orientation' over a light dinner on Thursday 19 July. Full details to come.

MASSEY EXAMS

These will be held in Rooms 1 and 2 from 13-23 June. Please be aware and keep noise levels down along the corridor and along the outside of the building.

ASSESMENTS

Running late with your assignments?

In most cases these can come in late but will receive a penalty. After two weeks lateness the penalty means your mark will be marked on a pass/fail basis (maximum = 50%). But hey, that's better than failing a course. According to Carey's academic regulations late essays cannot come in after the end of the semester (= 22 June). However, if something like a late medical emergency crops up to push that date out further, get in touch with the registrar (Neroli) with your medical certificate to see whether a few days extension beyond 22 June is possible.

NO MORE EXCUSES!!

Thanks to all those of you signed the "NO MORE EXCUSES" petition last week. The signatures have been sent with a letter to Helen Clark and the photos will soon be clicking round the web site along with several hundred others. Check it out (good for information about the issues as well) on www.nomoreexcuses07.org/                                                                    George Wieland

MID SEMESTER BREAK

Our hope and prayer is that you enjoy the mid-year break - a well deserved rest for all of you wherever you're based. We look forward to having you with us whether onsite or by distance in Semester Two!

MICAH CHALLENGE

If you are not aware of Micah Challenge, check out the website www.micahchallenge.org.nz  This is a global campaign that is designed to challenge not only the individual about engagement with the poor but also political bodies about fulfilling their promises on development goals.