News

GMIM 4 October 2010

GMIM 4 October 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Siong Ng writes...

Ready to go?      

For some of you, this might be your last semester at Carey or you might be thinking ‘I almost survived this year’. No matter where you are in your journey, may I challenge you to continue learning. This might sound boring but I discovered that we all learn new things every day.

“Lifelong learning” is not just a term used among the seniors but I believe is a process for everyone to develop throughout their lives. Use your time at Carey wisely and learn as much as possible from lecturers, friends and last but not least, the library! Ask questions, discuss with one another and make use of the librarians. Pick our brains about the right questions to ask. We love the challenge but BEWARE, we are very chatty!

You might feel unequipped and fearful. Be brave. You will never learn everything at Carey. Your time at Carey is just a snapshot.  In order to grow, you will need to continue learning.  When I was doing my library qualification, I was not taught how to change toners, deal with theological students or chase after overdue books. By God's grace, I learnt this along the way and I seek to learn new things every day. 

Do not be fearful as you have your whole life to learn. “…..let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.” Hebrews 12:1. May you finish well and be a lifelong learner.  By the way, remember to return any library books before you run away!

TUESDAY 5th

Community Worship 11:15am - 12noon

Facilitated by Kevin Robertson and Blair Vercoe

Jonathan Robinson

Matthew 6:34

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Reuben Munn: Reuben is the senior pastor of Shore Community Church. He oversees the leadership of all staff and direction of the church and is the primary teacher/speaker on Connection Point – a media organisation based out of the church that screens via Shine TV.

WEDNESDAY 6th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel      

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

DUTIES

For those with duties assigned, this week is Week 9…an odd week!

STAFF UPDATE

Russell Thorp has recently resigned as the Dean of Undergraduate Studies and will be leaving Carey in January 2011. He has accepted the role of Director of Mission for Global Connections – the mission agency arm of the Brethren denomination. We will miss Russell for sure but certainly wish him well for the future.

MONDAY LUNCHTIME: get fit for summer!

“There’s no free lunch on Mondays, so it’s the perfect time for a gentle training run round the neighbourhood. A 5km circuit at a moderate pace should take about 30 minutes for old people like me, a lot less for fit young students (or staff)! If you’re keen, turn up with your runners outside the dining room on Monday at 12.45pm.”                                                            George Wieland           

INTERESTED IN POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

All students interested in postgraduate study with Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School are invited to speak with the registrar, Anne Aalbers, and Myk Habets on Tuesday October 5 @ 1:00pm in the Chapel, immediately after lunch, about study options and courses for 2011.

@ THE LIBRARY

Another book sale is on! Cheap, very cheap books! Will run until the stock goes!

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES

An opportunity to spend time with other Baptist women of the region to listen and learn from others, and learn about the prayer needs of women from around the world.

Saturday 30 October

Lunch 12-12:30pm@ Windsor Park Baptist Church

Dinner 6:30-9:00pm @ Remuera Baptist Church

Saturday 13 November

Breakfast 8:00-10:30am@ Manurewa Baptist Church

Dinner 6:30-9:00pm@ Mt Albert Baptist Church

Cost $15.00

Email leejohnb@xtra.co.nz or abmccarthy@xtra.co.nz or phone 09 278 1716 to register

“Who made God? And other tricky questions” by Brian Smith

A Theology for Children with help for Mum and Dad!

This book written by the Principal Emeritus of Carey, Brian Smith, is available for sale at reception at a cost of $30 each.

FROM RACHEL…

“Although I have connected with many of you in recent days, for those whom I have not being able to do so, I just wanted to say a very big thank you. As I noted on Tuesday I believe Carey is a very special place and I will always have a soft spot in my heart. I have thoroughly enjoyed my ten years or so moving from student to staff member and am grateful for the privilege of knowing so many people as they have transitioned through this place. This body of people has made my job easy (with a few challenges on the sideJ) and certainly fun. Go well in whatever your learning leads you to.”