News

GMIM 27 September 2010

GMIM 27 September 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Mick Duncan writes...

Was it really a Miracle?

The day after the big quake in Canterbury I was in Christchurch, staying in a hotel right in the heart of the CBD. People were amazed that there was no loss of life. They called it a miracle! I am not so sure. Let me explain by way of telling you another incident that likewise has been labeled as a miracle.

Thursday, January 15, 2009; Flight 1549 departed LaGuardia Airport and headed for Charlotte, North Carolina. Two minutes into the flight the Airbus A320 ran straight into a flock of Canada geese. Both engines on the plane went down. With time fast running out, Captain Sullenberger made the call to attempt a landing on the Hudson River. This he did and all lives were saved. Understandably, this event was described as “miraculous.” But the really fascinating thing is that when Sullenberger was pressed as to how it happened, he pointed to the fact that he and his co-pilot had practiced such scenarios thousands of times. In other words, “he” got the plane down. No disrespect to God here, but I say, all praise to Sullenberger! My God does perform miracles, but this instance, was not one of them.

Likewise with the quake in Canterbury. Stringent building codes saved the lives of countless. We have Parliament and local Government to thank and indeed praise for this. The loss of life in the Haiti quake was terrible but not because God took a day off miracles on that day, but because their building codes were simply not good enough.

TUESDAY 28th

Community Worship 11:15am - 12noon

Facilitated by Sherman Huang and Michael Riley

The Power of the Gospel

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Rachel Murray: Rachel has recently been appointed as Manager of Mobilising and Support Services with the NZ Baptist Missionary Society. Rachel will reflect on her observations of training for mission and ministry during her 5½ years as Executive Assistant to the Principal of Carey.

WEDNESDAY 29th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

DUTIES

For those with duties assigned, this week is Week 8…an even week!

OPEN TUESDAYS

This Tuesday is an Open Tuesday and there will be people on site who are investigating Carey as an option for study in 2011. Please make these people feel welcome if you see them in class, at worship or at lunch.

GRADUATION 2011…from the Academic Registrar

To all students intending to complete a Carey qualification this year – please remember to get the Graduation 2011 form from either reception or email Neroli for it. (registrar@carey.ac.nz) In order to graduate you need to complete this form in full whether or not you attend the ceremony.

The event itself will be held at the Manukau City Baptist Church on Saturday 2nd April 2011.

@ THE LIBRARY

Free access to ALL Sage journals until 15 October!! Go to https://online.sagepub.com/cgi/register?registration=FT2010-1 and register there.

Please make use of this opportunity. Any problems, please contact the library.

MONDAY LUNCHTIME: get fit for summer!

“There’s no free lunch on Mondays, so it’s the perfect time for a gentle training run round the neighbourhood. A 5km circuit at a moderate pace should take about 30 minutes for old people like me, a lot less for fit young students (or staff)!

If you’re keen, turn up with your runners outside the dining room on Monday at 12.45pm.” George Wieland

INTERESTED IN POSTGRADUATE STUDY?

All students interested in postgraduate study with Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School are invited to speak with the registrar, Anne Aalbers, and Myk Habets on October 5 @ 1:00pm in the Chapel, immediately after lunch, about study options and courses for 2011.