News

GMIM - 9 August 2010

GMIM - 9 August 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Chris Lucas writes...

Life at the Dingwall Orphanage is never boring. Eight children living under your roof has its fair amount of challenges, some of which are quite harrowing, and others which bring joy and fulfilment to the caregiver. As a caregiver to these children, it is helpful to be able to reflect on the gift of love shown to me by my own mother. A high percentage of the children at Dingwall do not have this privilege, although most of the children appear to have one “significant other” whom they are attached to. Usually this is an older sister or brother, or a grandparent. Some of the children have been abandoned and do not know their parents or wider family. I cannot imagine how this would feel.

Thinking of my own children and grandchildren, and the loving close environment in which they are nurtured and cared for, helps me to offer my best to impart to the Dingwall children, a sense of belonging and value. One of our boys was recently contacted via Facebook by a relative overseas. I remember going home that night to be met by his beaming face. His dad whom he had not seen for 14 years was emailing him an airline ticket to enable them to reconnect. How excited he was as he set out on a very long flight to meet his dad. He felt a sense of belonging. My prayer was that at the end of the journey he would receive an embrace from someone he belonged too.

I’m thankful that I belong to a family, a family that has shown me love, love I have received with open arms. Are you thankful today that you have been raised in a loving environment? Perhaps this is the very reason why you are where you are today. Who is that someone you can thank for offering you love and life commitment?

TUESDAY 3rd

Community Worship 11:15am-12noon

Facilitated by David Bosma and Simon Alexander

Speaker: George Wieland

Matthew 20:16

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Chris Clarke: Chris took on the role of CEO of World Vision New Zealand early in 2010 and was previously the CEO of the Hawke’s Bay District Health Board. He has also been involved with the World Health Organisation in Europe.

WEDNESDAY 4th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Library Week - 16-20 August

Open Tuesday – 17 August

ART WEEK 2010

Thanks to all those that contributed work for display and/or uploaded photos/files online. There is some incredible talent amongst this community and I suspect we’ve only just scraped the surface.

We will keep the works displayed for a second week, however if you’d like to take them earlier simply let Rachel know.

NEPAL BAPTIST BIBLE COLLEGE (NBBC)

A fundraising opportunity 16-24 August

nepal

This Bible College, located in Kathmandu, Nepal is just 4 years old and has been established to train and equip people for mission and ministry in Baptist Churches in Nepal. 7-8 students each year are accepted for 3 years of full time study, plus field work, a year’s internship in their home environment and then another 6 months back at the college. This is a residential college and activities are conducted in English and in Nepali. Most students come from remote villages and it can be a struggle to pay the fees required (~NZ$150 per annum) in addition to accommodation and food.

At Carey we have been exploring the possibilities of being able to partner in some way with a Bible College in another part of the world and to broaden the college’s horizons as it were. George Wieland taught at NBBC late in 2009 and Laurie Guy will be there teaching in October this year.

NBBC has some specific needs and we can assist with these (noted below). During the week of 16-24th August, you (onsite and distance) will have the opportunity to financially give to some of these needs. On what basis you choose to give is up to you however some suggestions could be:

ü Take a self denial approach. Think of some of the ‘extra’ things that you would purchase during a week and instead use that money for NBBC e.g. extra coffees or meals out, a movie out or a DVD in etc.

ü Simply empty your wallet, drawers, jars, car ash trays, dig between couch cushionsJ of that small change that most of us have lying dormant around our homes.

ü Challenge yourself and/or some of your peers/friends/colleagues…take $5 and multiply it to whatever you can in a week.

THEN

Onsite people - On Tuesday 24 August, bring in your dollars and cents and we will collect this during Community Worship. Distance students – post in or drop off a cheque/cash for the amount you’d like to give. Please note if you’d like money to go towards a specific need.

Some specific needs of NBBC include (most of these items sit in value in the range of US$200-700 in total):

- Study chairs and book shelves for the library

- Installation of Broadband for the 12 computers in the library

- A decent photocopier

- Wall fans

- Publication of a quality prospectus

- Student fees scholarships

LAIDLAW-CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL (LCGS)

a) Tim Meadowcroft from LCGS is onsite at Carey every second Wednesday. He is located in the upstairs group study room in the Library if you wish to talk with him about postgraduate study.

b) Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School handbooks with 2011 course offering details are now available. Please see Neroli for a copy of this and further details.

c) Postgraduate Seminar - Friday 13th August at Carey. 1:30-3:00pm in Room 2. Lunch from 12:30pm but please RSVP to Ioana at imaier@laidlaw.ac.nz by 5pm on Thursday 12th Aug.

From John Tucker: “'A many-headed hydra': The Battle to Slay the Gambling Monster, 1890-1940.” One hundred years ago one of the hottest public debates in New Zealand concerned the spread of gambling. Protestant churches largely spearheaded a massive campaign to slay the gambling ‘monster’. This paper traces Baptist involvement in the debate and examines the reasons for both the early success and ultimate failure of this campaign.

From Tim Meadowcroft: “Scripture Read in Community (Nehemiah 8).” Nehemiah 8 recounts an encounter with God through the public reading of the holy text. There is both a personal impact on the hearers and a more subliminal effect on the society of the hearers. The dynamics that emerge from this incident about hearing Scripture and about its interpretation give further insight into the manner in which the Bible becomes and is the word of God to those who read it today. Indeed, the account contained in Nehemiah 8 provides a cameo on the human dynamics within which the word of God comes to a group of people when the text is opened and read.

d) Research Workshop...For all students planning to enrol in research courses (R 413.930 to R418.930 (Dissertation or Thesis)). This will include Discussion with LCGS faculty on: Proposal preparation, Supervision, Ethics application, Methodology, Enrolment

Saturday, 21st August, 2010

Breakfast 8.30 am - Seminar 9.15 am – 12noon

Venue: Staff Lounge, Laidlaw College, 80 Central Park Dr, Henderson

RSVP / enquiries to: Anne Aalbers, aaalbers@laidlaw.ac.nz

OPEN TUESDAY - 17 AUGUST

8:45am-3:30pm approx.

This particular Open Tuesday will have a focus on Pastoral Leadership (senior, sole, associate, youth). If you are aware of people that may be interested in this training, please encourage them to think about being with us for the day on the 17th August. Contact Karen Schilperoort for full details. (ph 09 5266590 directly or email karen.schilperoort@carey.ac.nz).

If as a current student you are thinking about pastoral leadership, feel free to contact Karen for further information on application deadlines and/or to talk this option through with her or John Tucker.

COFFEE!

In the breaks of the morning classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, the Student Association offers coffee at $2/cup. Come join the rest of the students for a good coffee during these times.

LIBRARY WEEK

Monday 16- Friday 20 August

Free coffee in the dining room for staff and students on Monday 16 August at 10.45library weekam