News

GMIM - 2 August 2010

GMIM - 2 August 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Karen Schilperoort writes...

Dare to let go...

My beautiful sister in law sent me a wooden plaque in the mail recently. It has the words engraved “Dare to let go”. This totally sums up my life the past couple of years.

Daring to let go of ...holding onto my Dad when he passed away last year... walking through the grief process. A journey I had to walk by myself.

Daring to let go of ...both of my kids from home...eek the realisation of being an empty nester!!

Daring to let go of ...my first born daughter - now married and living overseas

Daring to let go of...anger and pride. Working with a counsellor to dig deeper into issues from my past

Daring to let go of “me” getting in the way of God .....it's not about me Karen...it’s what God wants to do through you. ....Being myself. Not trying to be someone else.

How has the “daring to let go” process been??? Freeing, new grace for myself and others, less striving, peaceful.

Having the courage to let go, let God take over, and I trust, trust, trust for the new season ahead.

“Take me, and all I have, and do with me whatever you will. Send me where you will.

Use me as you will. I surrender myself and all I possess absolutely and entirely, unconditionally and forever, to your control”. James Borst.

TUESDAY 3rd

Community Worship 11:15am-12noon

A Creative Worship facilitated by Peter Majendie

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Peter Majendie: Based in Christchurch, Peter is known as a speaker, facilitator, curator, comedian and artist. With ‘Side Door Arts Trust’, Peter has created large scale multimedia art installations at key times of the Christian calendar and these have attracted thousands of people with their contemplative and interactive styles.

WEDNESDAY 4th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Open Tuesday – 17 August

ART WEEK – 2-6 August 2010

An annual event when we can celebrate our own creativity.

This week is Art Week. Take the time to look around the college, in the halls, dining room and lecture rooms at the various creations that people have brought in to display. Feel free to connect with the creator (if they are named) on what they have done and why.

A forum area has been created on careyonline to which anyone can upload photos of your own work and/or comment and connect with the artist online. Go to ‘Art Week 2010’ on the left side of the main menu on the home page.

COFFEE!

In the breaks of the morning classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, the Student Association offers coffee at $2/cup. Come join the rest of the students for a good coffee during these times.

‘IS GOD A TRINITY?’….. a debate including our own Myk Habets.

Co-hosted by Auckland University's Evangelical Union & Islamic Society:

Tuesday 3rd August

12:30pm-2:00pm

Conference Centre, Architecture Building (at end of Engineering Dept building).

Refreshments after (juice & cookies)

LAIDLAW-CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL (LCGS)

a) Tim Meadowcroft from LCGS is onsite at Carey every second Wednesday. He is located in the upstairs group study room in the Library if you wish to talk with him about postgraduate study.

b) Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School handbooks with 2011 course offering details are now available. Please see Neroli for a copy of this and further details.

c) Postgraduate Seminar - Friday 13th August at Carey. 1:30-3:00pm in Room 2. Lunch from 12:30pm but please RSVP to Ioana at imaier@laidlaw.ac.nz by 5pm on Thursday 12th Aug.

From John Tucker: “'A many-headed hydra': The Battle to Slay the Gambling Monster, 1890-1940.” One hundred years ago one of the hottest public debates in New Zealand concerned the spread of gambling. Protestant churches largely spearheaded a massive campaign to slay the gambling ‘monster’. This paper traces Baptist involvement in the debate and examines the reasons for both the early success and ultimate failure of this campaign.

From Tim Meadowcroft: “Scripture Read in Community (Nehemiah 8).” Nehemiah 8 recounts an encounter with God through the public reading of the holy text. There is both a personal impact on the hearers and a more subliminal effect on the society of the hearers. The dynamics that emerge from this incident about hearing Scripture and about its interpretation give further insight into the manner in which the Bible becomes and is the word of God to those who read it today. Indeed, the account contained in Nehemiah 8 provides a cameo on the human dynamics within which the word of God comes to a group of people when the text is opened and read.

d) Research Workshop...For all students planning to enrol in research courses (R 413.930 to R418.930 (Dissertation or Thesis)). This will include Discussion with LCGS faculty on: Proposal preparation, Supervision, Ethics application, Methodology, Enrolment

Saturday, 21st August, 2010

Breakfast 8.30 am - Seminar 9.15 am – 12noon

Venue: Staff Lounge, Laidlaw College, 80 Central Park Dr, Henderson

RSVP / enquiries to: Anne Aalbers, aaalbers@laidlaw.ac.nz

OPEN TUESDAY - 17 AUGUST

8:45am-3:30pm approx.

This particular Open Tuesday will have a focus on Pastoral Leadership (senior, sole, associate, youth). If you are aware of people that may be interested in this training, please encourage them to think about being with us for the day on the 17th August. Contact Karen Schilperoort for full details. (ph 09 5266590 directly or email karen/Schilperoort@carey.ac.nz).

If as a current student you are thinking about pastoral leadership, feel free to contact Karen for further information on a