News

GMIM - 3 May 2010

GMIM - 3 May 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

John Tucker writes...

This coming Sunday – Mothers’ Day – most of us will spend some time thinking with gratitude about our mothers. Well last week I was thinking about fathers. I saw the film Boy. It’s a poignant film set on the rural East Coast of the North Island in 1984. The main character is a young Maori boy – ‘full of potential’ – who lives with his Nan, his little brother, and a gaggle of young cousins. Their mum is dead. And their dad, for much of their childhood, is absent.

Boy imagines that his dad is a war hero, rugby captain, close relation of Michael Jackson, and that he is always away from home because he is a deep-sea diver and treasure hunter. In reality, his dad is doing seven years in jail for robbery. When he returns home one dark night, Boy is slowly forced to come to terms with the truth: his old man is a pot-smoking, law-breaking, self-obsessed, immature, broken man. A man who has never really grown up. A man who has not fulfilled his potential. A man who returns home not to look after his sons and be the father they so desperately need, but to look after himself before he leaves again. It’s all both very funny and very sad.

I guess most of us can relate to the idealism of childhood. I remember thinking that my dad was perfect, invincible. (He told me once, in jest, that didn’t have to fight in World War II because when he turned 18 in 1945 the Germans saw that he was about to enter the conflict and, in fear, immediately surrendered. I believed him, and proceeded to inform my school teacher and the entire class that my father had single-handedly won World War II.) I also remember discovering that my dad was far from perfect. Like us all, he had his foibles. He wasn’t perfect. But, as it turns out, he didn’t need to be. He showed me what it looks like to be a devoted and tender husband, a loving and wise father. He showed me what it looks like to spend your life in service of others and of the kingdom. He showed me what it looks like to love Jesus. And I miss him.

I remember the day that he died. I lay in bed that night thinking, ‘I don’t have a father anymore! I don’t have anyone who loves me like he did, who believes in me like he did, who will be there for me like he was.’ As I was sobbing into my pillow God whispered to me, ‘John, don’t worry. I will be a father to you. I will love you. I will counsel you. I will be with you.’ Isn’t it wonderful to think that we have a heavenly Father who will never disown us or forsake us. A Father who is always available, who we can always approach for help. A Father who really is perfect. And as his children, through our union with Jesus, we will one day reach our full potential and be perfected in him. That’s good news.

TUESDAY 4th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by David Julian and Naomi Coombridge

Speaker: Thalia Kehoe Rowden

Matthew 6:21

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Thalia Kehoe Rowden: With a background in law, Thalia is a pastoral graduate of Carey with a Graduate Diploma of Applied Theology. She is currently the sole pastor at New Plymouth West Baptist Church and has also been on the Carey Board for two years.

WEDNESDAY 5th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Art Week: 2-6 August

Yes it’s a little way off yet but not too early to start thinking about it. For the week itself we will be giving people the opportunity to display their own creations...painting, photography, sculpture, graphic design, you name it. You may like to create something particularly for this week so now is the time to get this underway!

DUTIES

For those with assigned duties, this is Week 7 (an odd week!). If you are unable to carry out your duty for any reason please ensure you find a replacement to cover you. Thanks.

“JUST WORSHIP”…

...a gathering of worship curators interested in non-sung, art and stations-based worship that sustains us, changes us, and changes our world. Arranged by Mark Pierson.

Christchurch, Queens Birthday Weekend (5-7 June)

Info at www.worldvision.org.nz/churchevents

@ THE LIBRARY

Something old and something new!

Grab the library new revised information booklet. You’ll not be disappointed. You may also view it online http://www.carey.ac.nz/library-information-literacy/

PLUS: Check out the new media clips. Go to http://www.carey.ac.nz/library/ and click on “new”.

SOCCER! Friday 7 May

Playing or not...don’t forget to come to Fergusson Park in Oranga, Olea Rd (off Oranga Ave) to support the team as we play Laidlaw College.

Kick off at 1pm....then back to Carey by 3pm for afternoon tea.

COFFEE!

Each Wednesday morning particularly during the lecture break the Student Association will have the coffee machine up and running. $2/cup with all proceeds going back to the association to help them provide for the student community in the future.

CHANGES OF ADDRESS

Should you change any of your contact details please ensure that you let Neroli know as soon as possible. Thanks.

BLOCK COURSE – LEADERSHIP: MARKETPLACE

If you are planning to enrol in the course MM 667 Leadership:Marketplace with Martyn Norrie, in semester two, it would be helpful if you can put your enrolment in by the end of May so that we can pre-order some required course books.

HAIRCUTS!

A Carey student needs your help! Philip Chen is a trained hairdresser. Unfortunately he’s lost his job for a few months and he needs some help on his tuition fee. He’s willing to do haircuts for students and staff for:

Adult $10

Child under 12 $7

Ph: 634 5410 or 636 6886 (based in Onehunga)

Booking is required

PS: If you want to see a sample, Frances is happy to model!!smile

“World in Collision: the gay debate in New Zealand 1960-1986”

Copies of Laurie Guy's book (based on his PhD thesis) are available at the Carey counter for $5.00 (proceeds to Carey Students' Association). Grab a copy if you're interested in social/ethical history issues.