News

GMIM 26 April 2010

GMIM 26 April 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Laurie Guy writes...

Otherness

How much do we relate with people who are different? There are all sorts of shapes, sizes, ages, colours and backgrounds. How much do we relate with people who are ‘other’? Not much, most times I think.

Years ago when I began my first pastorate at Glendowie I called on the local high school principal. Almost his first words were: ‘We’ve got two types at this school, the up-and-outers and the down-and-outers.’ He was referring to the fact that while a majority of Glendowie was fairly well off (middle to upper-middle class) there was a sizeable minority who were not (because of a sizeable state housing block in Glendowie). An Anglican curate whose church was located in Riddell Road where it intersects with the end of Crossfield Road (the intersection of middle to upper-middle class and state housing) made similar comment: ‘There seems to be a wall at the end of Crossfield Road.’

The lack of connection between the two groups stood out a mile (sorry, kilometre) at gatherings like school prize-givings: different clothes, different appearance and different demeanour. And no real connection between the two groups – never the twain would really meet. It’s the same in my sports clubs at Glendowie and Glen Innes: Glendowie middle class tennis; Glen Innes working class and beneficiary badminton. The clubs operate very differently and never the twain shall meet. Only at the Tamaki gym do I see them together – and that’s just because pumping iron and hopping on stationary bikes and rowing machines doesn’t require too much relating. The real exception to all this is the DOC huts – wonderful places to talk with Germans, Japanese, Croats and Israelis after a hard day’s tramp.

Commonly our churches deep down are socially segregated – not officially, of course, but an informal segregation nevertheless, whether it is based on age, ethnicity, educational background, wealth or whatever. It used to be said of America that its most segregated hour was the hour of worship on Sunday mornings. ‘Well, that’s life – birds of a feather flock together’ – so they say.

It may be life, but is it the gospel? Where does the vision, ‘neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female . . . all one in Christ Jesus’ (Galatians 3.28), fit in? Great rhetoric but it doesn’t work in practice, does it? Great rhetoric but we don’t have to live it out, do we? Do we?

Here are a few thoughts on warm relationships with people who are ‘other’:

• It’s part of the of the DNA of the gospel

• It’s a Pentecostal miracle of witness to the world (Acts 2.8-11; 13.1)

• The task of relating to people who are ‘other’ here is the same task as relating to people who are ‘other’ as missionaries overseas. If we don’t relate strongly with people who are ‘other’ here, then overseas mission may look like pointless escapism

• Even with informal ‘segregation’ congregations still have levels of diversity of people; so only through freely and warmly relating to people who are ‘other’ will we have a key quality to be a good pastor here

• It is often hard to relate to people who are ‘other’ – but it makes us grow, and  it is so enriching

How big will our talking and eating circle be at Carey this year? With people like us? Or also with people who are ‘other’?

TUESDAY 27th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by Intermission students

Speaker: Mick Duncan

Matthew 5:39

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Aaron Ironside: Aaron is the presenter of ‘A balanced breakfast’ on Radio Rhema. His radio background includes the Auckland International Airport station, Radio Hauraki and Rhema for the past 11 years. He and his wife are also in pastoral leadership at Harvest Christian Centre. Aaron is a trained psychologist with a Master of Arts.

WEDNESDAY 28th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel    

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Carey vs Laidlaw Soccer match!

Friday 7 May @ 1pm!

Fergusson Park

Olea Rd (off Oranga Ave)

....then back to Carey by 3pm for afternoon tea.

Come and support the Carey team as we take on Laidlaw again!

A few more players would still be great! Please see Neroli to sign up.

WELCOME BACK…

...from the 3 week lecture break! For those onsite, hopefully you’ve enjoyed the change of routine a little and managed to get some good headway on the assignments that starting to kick in. Distance students, we hope that you have also managed to perhaps get an opportunity to rest a little too.  

DUTIES

For those with assigned duties, this is Week 6. If you are unable to carry out your duty for any reason please ensure you find a replacement to cover you. Thanks

ACCESS CARDS

Just a reminder that if you misplace your access/ID card or it is stolen, please let Chris Lucas or Neroli Hollis know as soon as possible so that it can be cancelled but also so that a replacement card can be produced. There is a replacement cost of $20.

MEL’S CLOSE SHAVE…

“I’m shaving my hair in support of the Leukemia and Blood Foundation* and she needs support! My goal is to raise at least $1500 so any and all support is greatly appreciated. Please donate to this worthy cause and come along and watch me lose my locksJMelissa Wilson (2nd year Youth Pastor student)

* The LBF is the national charity dedicated to supporting patients and their families living with blood cancers and related blood conditions. This support can last months or even years.

When: 1 May 2010

Where: The Depot, Lloyd Elsmore Park, Pakuranga (opposite the Netball courts)

Time: 1:30-3:30pm

There will be a BBQ and other activities so bring your wallets!

To donate online go to: www.saveforacure.co.nz

Search ‘shavee’: Melissa Wilson (Event: Mel’s Close Shave)

Follow the links to donate....Thanks heaps!

“JUST WORSHIP”…

...a gathering of worship curators interested in non-sung, art and stations-based worship that sustains us, changes us, and changes our world. Arranged by Mark Pierson.

Christchurch, Queens Birthday Weekend (5-7 June)

Info at www.worldvision.org.nz/churchevents

CONGRATULATIONS

A big congratulations to Naomi Coombridge (1st year Pastoral Leadership student) and Mark Compton who got engaged over the mid-semester break.

@ THE LIBRARY

Something old and something new!  

Grab the library new revised information booklet. You’ll not be disappointed. You may also view it online http://www.carey.ac.nz/library-information-literacy/

PLUS: Check out the new media clips.  Go to http://www.carey.ac.nz/library/ and click on “new”.