News

GMIM - 28 September 2009

GMIM - 28 September 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Russell Thorp writes...

It’s Spring! The sun is rising earlier these mornings. One recent morning the orange glow of the sun filtered through the leaves of our neighbour’s plum tree casting opaque dancing shadows on our lounge wall. I was reading about the proclamation of the Kingdom of God by Philip in Samaria (Acts 8). Philip links Jesus Christ with the Kingdom of God. Great signs and miracles confirmed to many that the message Philip preached was true. Even Simon, a local sorcerer, believed and was baptised. The good news about Jesus was touching and changing lives. As I reflected on this and as the warm orange glow of the sun danced on our walls, I wondered how my life and the impact of Jesus transforming work on me has affected others? How is God’s work filtered through me to others? Do they catch the warmth, the glow of His life, the dance of His life lived through me?

Recently I enjoyed the presentation of Carey students in the Integrative Seminar. Each student reflected on a postcard sized-secret that had been placed on a website. Generally the secrets are sad reflections of life that people feel they cannot share elsewhere. Our students presented well and gave the fruit of their research papers. In particular the presentations were reflecting on the missional outcomes they had concluded from their integrative study of the post-secret. Their missional outcomes reflected an integration of cultural, Biblical, theological/ anthropological study. It’s neat to see students wrestle with how Christians can interact in thoughtful, deep ways with the culture around us using the tools they have gained from their study at Carey. All this is good. The reminder for me from my reflection on the story of Philip in Samaria is that the impact of the good news came not only through creative communication or right relationships, but it was a work of God. The Holy Spirit was at work. May the Holy Spirit work through each of us this week as we give ourselves to the study and task of mission and ministry.

TUESDAY 29th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then and Now Isaiah 6:1-13

Russell Thorp

Facilitated by BAppTheol Formation group

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Keith Taylor: With an extensive background in executive management, Keith is now a professional director and consultant. He serves on various boards including the Earthquake Commission, NZQA, The Government Superannuation Authority and The Reserve Bank of NZ. He is a graduate of Carey and current Board member.

WEDNESDAY 30th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

OPEN TUESDAY THIS WEEK

Tuesday this week is an Open Day for people interested in 2010 study. Please make these people feel welcome if you interact with them in class or over lunch.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Andrew from Missionary Ventures will be on-site. This organisation works amongst different people groups in the Central Asian region. Take the opportunity to interact with him and find out more.

2010 TIMETABLE….

...is out later this week!

This will be available in hard copy at reception and will be online shortly. 2010 fees are included on this sheet.

Enrolment forms are not far off and will also be downloadable from the website, in hard copy at reception or contact Neroli to be posted one.

SAUSAGE SIZZLES

Andrew and Roanna Baldwin (2nd yr PL) are heading to Thailand for 3 months to be associate pastors at the international church in Chiang Mai. This is their summer PL placement. They are needing to raise some funds to help them get there and will be doing sausage sizzles at Carey over the next two weeks.

Monday 28th September

Monday 5th October

...over by the dining room from 12:30pm.

PLUS! Tuesday 30 September they will be selling homemade pizza before the evening class

5:30-6:30 in the dining room

$2 a slice.

So don’t bring your lunch Monday or dinner Tuesday night—support the Baldwins!

CALLING ALL WOMEN...

Time for an end-of-year brunch for Carey women! Just a relaxed catch-up with great company and good food!

Saturday 17 October;

9:15am; Cost: your own

Kings Plant Barn Café (not Palmers!)

236 Orakei Rd, Remuera

Please let Rachel know by 14 October if you can join us!

COMMUNITY WORSHIP, PRAYER, LUNCH!

Over the coming 5 weeks we are conscious that for all of you there will be lots happening with assignments coming due and some thinking about next year.

Amongst all of that, do try and make the time to come to Community Worship, Prayer and Lunches if you are onsite.

BAPTIST LIFE WEBSITE LAUNCH

This website is “a knowledge basket of topics, images, audio, video, web links, documents, and discussion which are contributed by the community”. It is a digital library of resources for and about Baptist life in NZ, designed to add value to the heritage of the denomination.

www.baptistlife.org.nz

The website will be launched officially on Thursday 1 October at 2:30pm in the Carey Baptist College chapel.

Please RSVP to Siong (526 0347 or siong.ng@carey.ac.nz) to attend.

COFFEE!!

Make the most of the opportunities in each week to enjoy some good coffee in the dining room thanks to the Student Association team!

Alternative Mondays and Wednesdays

10:45-11:15am; $2 cup