News

GMIM - 21 September 2009

GMIM - 21 September 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Laura Giddey (Student Convenor) writes...

A couple of weeks ago I embarked on a Spiritual Retreat for two nights.The venue was stunning, the food was scrumptious, the views were divine and the company was ok too.However there was one catch!One day of the retreat was instructed to be spent in silence.Silence!A whole day!8 hours.Of.Silence.So after this initial surprise revelation, I headed off to my room to sleep and prepare myself for the day ahead.

However, by the end of that day of silence I had walked down the beach and back, several times, read my Bible and memoir on Joni Eareckson Tada (I recommend it!), done a lot of reflecting in my journal and spent the rest of the day (most of the day really) in prayer.And I thoroughly enjoyed it.Some may say that as an introvert by nature, I was bound to enjoy a silent retreat but I think that introversion and extroversion have nothing to do with the picture at all.I think that what is more relevant is being open to hearing God speak. And anyone can do this if they are willing and ready to let Him do so, possibly in ways they may not usually allow Him to.Although I had no idea what God would reveal to me over the day, I was open to the idea of me shutting up and of Him speaking with no distractions.If I hadn't given him the chance that day to meet with me, with no other voices interrupting, I would have continued to trundle full steam ahead through the rest of this year without the benefit of a rest.

The silent retreat gave me another spiritual discipline or practice that I aim to foster in my life over the years to come.But it also reminded that I don't want to limit God to the ways in which He has chosen to speak to me before, and to these ways only.I think that if I did that, it could say something about my view of God and I believe in God who is BEYOND my understanding, not within it.So I want to challenge myself to be open to other opportunities, outside of my comfort zone, where God can work in me and continue moulding me.

I would like to challenge you as you enter the second half of the second semester of 2009.Who knows what this next part of the year will bring!But I hope that for you it will bring lots of chances for you to listen to God and delight in His company and presence in your life.Why not humble yourself and let God meet you in new ways!

TUESDAY 22nd

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Rodney Macann

National Leader; Baptist Churches of NZ

Facilitated by Geoff Dixon, Sherman Huang and Eamon Sullivan

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Lauren Roche: Lauren’s story is one of brokenness and healing. After years of trouble and turbulence she became a medical doctor and has authored two books outlining her story. Lauren has also been doing part-time study at Carey over a few years.

WEDNESDAY 23rd

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

WEDNESDAY THIS WEEK!!!

Student Association

Indian Banquet Lunch!

Wednesday the 23rd of September, 1pm.

Come to the lunchroom for an exciting lunch experience.

OPEN TUESDAYS

Two more for this year. Feel free to let people know about these days.

Register with Neroli on 0800 773 776 or registrar@carey.ac.nz

Tuesday 29 September

Tuesday 20 October

8:45am-3pm

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS

Yes already! It’s gotta be good for you though. Don’t forget to change your clocks forward 1 hour on Saturday night (26th September).

CONGRATULATIONS!

To Bryce Millar (1st year Youth Pastor programme) on his engagement to Carol announced just before the break.

To Nani de Ocampo (3rd year BAppTheol) and Naomi Scott (Intermission) on their engagement during the break.

BOOK SALE AT THE LIBRARY!!

Paperbacks 0.50 cents

Hardbacks $1

...or otherwise marked.

Starting Monday 21 September.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Bruce from People International will be on-site. This organisation works amongst different people groups in the Central Asian region. Take the opportunity to interact with him and find out more.

GRADUATION 2010

Saturday 27 March

Just a reminder...if you think you will have completed all the requirements of your qualification at the end of this semester, please complete a blue ‘Application to Graduate’ form currently at reception or download from careyonline.

This will need to be completed whether you plan to attend the ceremony or not. Thanks!

2010 TIMETABLE….

...is coming soon! Final tweaks are being sorted now. This will be available in hard copy at reception shortly and soon afterwards online. For those also wondering about 2010...first date of Semester One is Monday 1 March.