News

GMIM - 8 June 2009

GMIM - 8 June 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Karen Schilperoort writes:

Over the past few weeks, my husband Erik and I have been running The Marriage Course at our church. We have just concluded Week 3. I love the content – so practical, great testimonies and role modelling! We journey with 9 couples each week. It is a double dose for us, because Erik and I do a practise run on Tuesday nights and then run the course the next night. It’s amazing after 24 years of marriage how much you can still learn about your spouse.

Some of the highlights for me so far have been working with a committed team of people who volunteer to set up, bake and clean up and be at church from 5.00pm – till 10.00pm. What a blessing – each one committed to serve to help facilitate a wonderful night for others.

From Week 1 – I love the emphasis on Marriage Time – quality marriage time, at least 2 hours each week. This is time without TV, computers or DVDs – just you and your spouse chatting over a cup of coffee. Every marriage needs quality time as much as a plant needs water – it’s not optional - it’s foundational to create healthy communication.

From Week 2 – Learning The Art of Good Communication – learning the skills of listening. Are you an interrupter? Go off on tangents? Tempted to always give advice?

“The first service that one owes to others in fellowship consists in listening to them. Just as love of God begins with listening to his word, so the beginning of love for the brethren is learning to listen to them.” - Dietrich Bonheoffer

And last week - Resolving Conflict. Learning skills to be on the same team – taking the issue aside and dealing with it together instead of attacking each other. Accepting your spouse just as they are. “Accept one another then, just as Christ accepted you...” Romans 15:7

I am really looking forward to week 4 --- The Power of Forgiveness – roll on Wednesday.

If you are married please take the time to invest in your marriage, don’t take it for granted. It is never too late to learn new skills. It is never too late to make your marriage the best it can be.

I highly recommend The Marriage Course – check it out on www.themarriagecourse.org.nz

TUESDAY 8th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Carey Dialogues“Conversion: Crisis or Process” Laurie Guy and Jonathan Robinson debate/discuss this issue (see over for further information).

Facilitated by Edmonds Namburi and Rob Markley

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Graeme Finlay: Graeme is a cell biologist at the Auckland Cancer Society Research Centre and a lecturer in scientific pathology at Auckland University. He is also described as a ‘Christian evolutionist’ and has written and spoken in a number of settings on this theme.

WEDNESDAY 9th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

WEEK 12!

It’s hard to believe this is Week 12 already—final week of classes for this semester. However there will be some ‘catch-up’ classes being held early next week due to public holidays.

Any notices regarding semester two and study will go on careyonline over coming weeks.

FROM JONATHAN ROBINSON…

CHANGES TO FIELD EDUCATION AND INTERNSHIPS FOR 2010

“If you are intending to take Field Education or Internship courses with me next year (not PLs or Youth Pastors!) than there are some intended changes you need to know about.

If these changes affect you then talk to me urgently as they will be probably be made final soon.

* From next year Field Education 1, 2 and 3 (Ministry & Praxis is now Field Education 3), will only be available as semester long courses, but will be available in both semesters.

* From next year Internship option will only be available as a full year course starting at the beginning of the year, with no second semester intake.

* From next year enrolment in Field Education 2 and 3, or any level Internship will require my approval prior to enrolment.This means that if you intend to take Field Education or Internship in Semester One next year, you will need to discuss it with me before the end of this year.

Any comments, complaints or questions get in touch!jonathan.robinson@carey.ac.nz or phone: 09 526 7530

STAFF SABBATICALS IN SEMESTER TWO

In each semester there is usually at least one teaching staff member that is on sabbatical—using the time for research, study and/or writing.

In Semester One no-one has been away however in Semester Two we have 3 teaching staff on sabbatical—essentially starting 1 July. These staff are George Wieland, Myk Habets and Mick Duncan.

UPCOMING EVENTS…

MINISTRY DEVELOPMENT COURSE

16-23 June @ Carey

Each year pastoral leadership graduates from the previous two years and others that are involved in pastoral ministry, return to Carey for a week-long course which is an important part of the Baptist minister’s registration process. It’s a week for reflection and refreshment as they hear from and interact with different speakers, share with each other, attend a retreat and re-connect with friends.

CAREY DIALOGUES

This Tuesday at Community Worship, the subject is “Conversion: Process or Crisis?”* Many have become dissatisfied with the “altar call” style of evangelism where if someone makes a “decision” and says a certain prayer they have suddenly become a Christian.’t there more to Christian conversion than this?about discipleship and holiness, where do they fit in? Are words like journey and conversation more appropriate than conversion?sort of questions are very important for the way we do ministry, and especially evangelism.Guy will be arguing for the importance of process, while Jonathan Robinson will state the case for crisis.focus will be on the practical outcomes of what we believe about conversion for ministry.

*Definitions:

Conversion = A change in which one adopts a new religion, faith, or belief.

Process = A series of actions, changes, or functions bringing about a result.

Crisis = A crucial or decisive point or situation; a turning point.

FUNDRAISING DINNER

Come along for a showcase of skits, songs, and testimonies from the

team going on a mission trip to Fiji. Experience the cuisine of Fiji on this island themed evening.

Saturday 13th June, 6:00pm. $20 per person. Franklin Baptist Church, Victoria Street West, Pukekohe

Please see Matthew Bayliss or Renee Lendrum for more details.

“THE STREAM” - WESLEYAN THEOLOGICAL SYMPOSIUM

Keynote speaker: Dr Ben Witherington III

The emphasis will be on practical theology with a missional relevance. The aim of the symposium is to encourage theological thought especially related to our South Pacific context and the key issues of our day.
Thurs 30 July - Sat 1 August

East City Wesleyan Church Centre, 219 Burswood Dr, Burswood / Botany
Cost: $20

For further details see the flyer on the notice board or Peter Benzie.

LIBRARY HOURS

For this last week of the semester the Library will be open from 7am on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thursday and Friday will be as usual.

During the last 2 study weeks of the semester, library hours will be as normal and will change only during the mid semester break.

FROM NEROLI HOLLIS

(ACADEMIC REGISTRAR)

Two reminders:

A) Enrolment deadlines for returning students in semester two courses is Wednesday 24th June

B) Evaluation Forms (in your course books) need to be completed (and returned to Neroli) for each of your courses and returned by the end of the semester . Onsite students there is a box at reception for these. Distance students please post these in. Thank you!

HUNGRY?

With the library opening a little earlier than usual for this last week of classes, those who come in may be hungry! There will be a box of breakfast things in the pantry (cereal, toast etc.) that you can help yourself to. It will be a case of ‘first in’.

Monday 8th, Tuesday 9th and Wednesday 10th.

THE CAREY VERSUS LAIDLAW SOCCER MATCH

This game will take place on Friday 7 August at 1:30pm over at Laidlaw College in Henderson at 1:30pm and will be followed by afternoon tea in the café there.

We currently have a team of 11 but are keen to have some extras to sub on and in case people cannot make it last minute. A few more takers? See Rachel or Neroli if you’re interested. We also need to provide a referee...anyone?

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES

Supporting, Encouraging & Empowering Women

Saturday 27 June; 3:00-9:30pm

Northcote Baptist Church

67 Eban Ave, Northcote

Cost $25—incl. afternoon tea & dinner

Speaker: Merrilyn Withers, President of the Baptist Churches of NZ for 2009.

Ph 09 278 1716 or leejohnb@xtra.co.nz to register.