News

GMIT - 2 June 2009

GMIT - 2 June 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Laura Giddey writes:

Last week I drove with a few of my friends down to Waiouru to watch another friend of ours graduate from the army. For the past 15 weeks he’s been a recruit and at some point during the ceremony he became a private. We all felt very proud of him committing to something so challenging and sacrificial.

The chaplain spoke during the graduation about four character traits that embody the attitude of the NZ army. These words are; commitment, courage, comradeship and integrity. Since then I’ve been thinking about these words and what they could mean for us as Christians. After all we too are signing up for a life of giving, sacrifice and commitment.

For the army commitment is described as working together as a team for the good of other people, putting others before self where necessary. For us commitment is following through on the commands of God and obeying where it seems difficult or confusing or unpopular.

For the army courage is described as physical and moral; physical to stand in the face of danger and moral to stand up for principles in the face of adversity. For us courage is facing our fears because we have God’s strength and Holy Spirit working through us and standing on our convictions in a world that questions us and our God.

For the army comradeship is described as looking after each other; realising that more can be achieved working as a team than as individuals. For us comradeship is acknowledging, not disputing our differences and instead putting our energy into our combined, communal goal; God’s redemptive work through humble servants for the Kingdom of God.

For the army integrity is described as honesty, sincerity, reliability and consistency. For us integrity is being the same person in the community on Saturday as in church on Sunday as in class on Monday.

This is not a recruitment drive for the NZ army! Rather I think these characteristics can be an example to us in our Christian life. I have enjoyed reflecting on them in light of Colossians 1:15-20. I hope you do too!

TUESDAY 2nd

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now

Galatians 2:20 Myk Habets

Facilitated by Ryan Bond and Rob Stacey

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Brian and Shirley Smith: Brian and Shirley are certainly no strangers to Carey as Brian was the Principal of the college from 1984-1997. During this time he was instrumental in seeing the transition from a residential college in Remuera to the current open format

in Penrose. Brian and Shirley also spent a number of years in India with tranzsend/NZBMS.

WEDNESDAY 3rd

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

COMMUNITY WORSHIP

Each semester different students are rostered on to assist in the facilitation of Community Worship on Tuesdays.

If you are interested in being involved in one of these times please let Rachel know before the end of the semester (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz)

KEEN ON BEING PART OF SOME HEALTHY COMPETITION??

Laidlaw College has approached us with the idea of an inter-college soccer match. This used to take place some years ago and there’s even a trophy up for grabs!

They reckon nothing too serious—just for fun!!! Yeah right. There is a trophy up for grabs!

A number of the staff have already thrown their names in to take part—are there any students that are interested? We could do with some cheerleaders and general all round supporters too!

This is likely to be in late July or early August on a Friday early afternoon over at Laidlaw College in Henderson.

See Rachel or Neroli if you’re interested.

LIBRARY HOURS

For the remaining weeks of the semester we will be trialing new opening hours in the Library; Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7am.

A student will open up and be sitting at the front desk to let you in (see Matthew 7:7 for our theological justification!) if you are keen for some early morning study.

STUDENT ASSOCIATION

We would love to know how we can support you as students during your time at Carey. Please come and talk to Laura or any of the team or use the pigeon holes or Carey emails to tell us your ideas on 'enhancing student life'!

If you would like to get in touch with any of the Student Reps, feel free to chat to them when you see them around College, or pop a note in their pigeon hole by the lecture rooms or use the email addresses below:

Laura Giddey - student.rep@carey.ac.nz
Andrew Baldwin - finance.rep@carey.ac.nz
Gary Mauga- sports.rep@carey.ac.nz
Jacky/Emily - chinese.rep@carey.ac.nz
Jaswanth Kukatapalli- peer.support@carey.ac.nz
Michael Rolston - intermission.rep@carey.ac.nz
Rob Stacey - events.rep@carey.ac.nz
Ryan Bond - student.relations@carey.ac.nz
Shaun Hutson - academic.rep@carey.ac.nz

HUNGRY?

With the library opening a little earlier than usual for these last 2 weeks of classes, the Community Life team have decided those who do come in at that time may be a little peckish! There will be a box of breakfast things in the pantry (cereal, toast etc.) that you can help yourself to. It will be a case of ‘first in’. So this will start on Wednesday 3 June and then run Monday 8th, Tuesday 9th and Wednesday 10th.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES THISWEEK

Jono from Servants for Asia’s Urban Poor is on site for Tuesday of this week. If you are interested in finding out more about this mission agency and their work or how you might be involved, please do connect with Jono over lunch.

FROM NEROLI HOLLIS

(ACADEMIC REGISTRAR)

Two reminders:

A) Enrolment deadlines for returning students in semester two courses is Wednesday 24th June

B) Evaluation Forms (in your course books) need to be completed (and returned to Neroli) for each of your courses and returned by the end of the semester . Onsite students there is a box at reception for these. Distance students please post these in.

Thank you!

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES

“Seeing With New Eyes”

Supporting, Encouraging and Empowering Women

Saturday 27 June

3:00-9:30pm

Northcote Baptist Church

67 Eban Ave

Northcote, Auckland

Cost $25—includes afternoon tea & dinner

Speaker: Merrilyn Withers, President of the Baptist Churches of NZ for 2009.

Phone Lee on 09 278 1716 or leejohnb@xtra.co.nz to register.

FROM JONATHAN ROBINSON…

CHANGES TO FIELD EDUCATION AND INTERNSHIPS FOR 2010

“If you are intending to take Field Education or Internship courses with me next year (not PLs or Youth Pastors!) than there are some intended changes you need to know about.

If these changes affect you then talk to me urgently as they will be probably be made final soon.

* From next year Field Education 1, 2 and 3 (Ministry & Praxis is now Field Education 3), will only be available as semester long courses, but will be available in both semesters.

* From next year Internship option will only be available as a full year course starting at the beginning of the year, with no second semester intake.

* From next year enrolment in Field Education 2 and 3, or any level Internship will require my approval prior to enrolment.This means that if you intend to take Field Education or Internship in Semester One next year, you will need to discuss it with me before the end of this year.

Any comments, complaints or questions get in touch!

jonathan.robinson@carey.ac.nz or phone: 09 526 7530

END OF SEMESTER...

...is looming! For those onsite, only 2 weeks of classes (although there will be some ‘make-up’ classes in the week of the 15th June).

Hang in there, the end is in sight!!