News

GMIM - 18 May 2009

GMIM - 18 May 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Phil Halstead writes:

It’s Monday the 18th of May, but the truth is a large part of me is still thinking about a DVD that I viewed two weeks ago. At the time, we were in Omaha for the weekend with some close friends. The rain had set in overnight and after a morning of catching up we decided to rent a film from the local store. My wife, Angelika, felt led to choose a movie entitled Joshua that none of us knew anything about. I was spellbound when I watched it. In fact, the film affected me so much that I watched it a second time the following morning and subsequently have watched it a third time after Angelika tracked down a copy on Trade Me and gave it to me as a surprise gift last week.

The movie describes the effect that Joshua had on the people of Auburn, a sleepy, small town in America when he mysteriously moved into the community. From the outset, he immediately began to respond to the needs that he encountered. For instance, he started to rebuild the Baptist church that had been destroyed a year earlier by a violent storm. He comforted a woman who had tragically lost her husband in a car accident and helped her to see that her life was not over. He also spent time with individuals, spoke the truth in love, and offered sage advice to numerous people. Yet, Joshua’s presence and actions raised the suspicions of certain members of the local clergy. These persons could not fathom that someone would bless others without wanting something in return, so they set out to remove him. Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

What moved me the most, I think, was Joshua’s spirit. Amidst the din of need and accusations, he always seemed to keep connected with God. He was content within himself and with his tasks. And when he spent time with people, he always appeared to love them, see past their facades, and help them to understand what was in their hearts.

How did Joshua do this? What was his secret? As I’ve reflected upon the movie and pondered questions like these I’ve been challenged to ask God on a daily basis one simple question – namely, “What is your invitation for me today Lord?” That is to say, I’ve been encouraged to ask God to open my ears and eyes in a new way, so that I might better hear from him, see as he sees, and love as he loves. Perhaps you might like to adopt a similar strategy as you embark on this new week in the Carey calendar. And perhaps you might be encouraged to watch Joshua, too. If you were to do so, I’m confident that you’ll be blessed and if you can pick how the movie ends before ‘the scene’, the coffee is on me.

TUESDAY 18th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now

Matthew 25: 31-46 – Mick Duncan

Facilitated by the Intermission team

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Sam Lotu-liga: In 2008, Sam was elected the National MP for the Maungakiekie electorate. Sam is a leader with the Samoan community, and takes an active interest in a number of social services organisations. He attends Greenlane Christian Centre.

WEDNESDAY 19th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

FROM YOUR FRIENDLY STUDENT ASSOCIATION TEAM

“During morning tea on Monday 18th and Wednesday 20th May we will be having the coffee machine going as normal but Sam Hennessey will be making hot beverages for $4 and all of the proceeds will go to his fundraising efforts to bring Tuhoe Isaacs to speak at his church about the issue of youth gangs.

Please note that coffee cards will not be accepted on these days as we want to encourage this community outreach.”

OPEN TUESDAY

This Tuesday is an Open Tuesday and there may well be a number of guests to the college who are exploring study options for the future. Please make these people feel welcome as you interact with them.

AMP SCHOLARSHIPS

Each year AMP awards scholarships from a pool of up to $200,000 individuals who demonstrate the courage, passion, determination and commitment to achieve their chosen goal.

Previous recipients range from artists, doctors and scientists, to performers, sports people, entrepreneurs and teachers and almost everything in between.But they all have one thing in common - a determination to succeed and turn their dreams into reality.There is no limit on qualifying activities or goals, and there's no age limit. We think it takes attitude to achieve goals at any age. The only criteria is that you must be a New Zealand citizen or resident. The rest is entirely up to you!

AMP Scholarship winners will be announced in August and will receive scholarships of up to $10,000 each. Each will have the chance of becoming a premium winner and receiving an additional scholarship.All applicants will be notified by email.

If you would like to know more about submitting your application just email ampscholarships@amp.co.nz or find out more information at www.amp.co.nz

Applications close midnight 31 May 2009

THANK YOU!

To all of those who contributed to Music Week whether in Community Worship or over Tuesday or Wednesday lunches. Thank you for sharing something of yourself with us.

DUFFY ROBBINS

Duffy is associate professor of youth ministry at Eastern University in the USA. He is an inspiring thinker and prolific write on youth ministry and speaks around the world educating youth workers. Brought to you by Baptist Youth Ministries (BYM), Duffy will be in NZ in June and facilitating a professional training day for youth pastors, experienced youth leaders and those training for youth work. The topics will focus on adolescent spirituality, youth culture and key practices for staying effective and relevant.

Wednesday 3 June, Auckland $50

Windsor Park Baptist Church, 550 East Coast Rd, Mairangi Bay

To register: alan.ameye@gmail.com or 021 526 393

Thursday 4 June Rotorua $50

Living Well Church, 47 Biak St, Rotorua

To register: tracey@whakatanebaptist.org.nz or 027 2262017

Tuesday 9 June Wellington $50

Avalon Baptist Church,774 High S, Lower Hutt

To register: andrew.whitehead@baptist.org.nz or 021 668 009

10:00am-4:00pm on each date

Cost $50 incl. lunch

www.bym.org.nz

NOTICEBOARD

If you are looking for accommodation or job vacancies keep an eye on the noticeboard down the main corridor. Things can change regularly and you just never know when something might grab your attention. Likewise there are a number of events regularly posted that you may be interested in.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES THISWEEK

Chuni Pema from OMS International will be on site this week. If you are interested in finding out more about this mission agency and their work or how you might be involved, please do connect with Chuni over lunches or in the Intercultural Studies room.

@ THE LIBRARY

Please note that the New Books stand in the Library has been relocated to just beside the main door.

ENROLMENTS FOR SEMESTER TWO

If you are intending to study in Semester Two and have not yet enrolled, please take note that the deadline for this is Wednesday 24 June. After this date, late fees will be added.

DATES IN 2010

Some people have already been asking about the date of Graduation in 2010. This will be Saturday 27 March. ‘Application to Graduate’ forms must be completed for any student finishing, whether you intend on attending the ceremony or not. These are available from the Registrar.

THANKS...

This is Week 9 and therefore an ‘odd’ week for duties—please keep an eye on these and if for some reason you are unable to complete this, please arrange for a replacement. Many thanks.

COMING UP...

It may be a few months off yet so this is some pre-notice of Art Week 2009.

3-7 August

For those of you who have been here for at least a year you will be aware of this week. All the usual activities of classes, lunches and formation etc. take place but we theme various sessions around art. We also want to give you the opportunity to display your own work and these will be placed on the walls and on tables in the lecture rooms, dining room, chapel area and reception area.

Art can be anything you wish - photography, painting, drawing, sculpture, poetry…..

Keep an eye out for further details which will come early in Semester Two, and either submit something you already have or maybe you’d like to create something just for this.