News

GMIM - 16 March 2009

GMIM - 16 March 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Chris Lucas writes...

Godwits Jesus and Me

Endurance, why is it so hard to endure? Am I lazy? Are my goals not desired strongly enough?

Thomas Carlyle said that endurance is patience concentrated. Obviously I am struggling.

I have been trying to shed some extra kilos for a year. I have tried Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. I have certainly been ‘watching’ the weight go on, and Jenny Craig is yet to reveal herself to me. I’ve stopped eating bread and complex carbohydrates, all the things I relish. None of these exploits have been successful and self-gratification has embedded itself deep within.

The subject of endurance was brought to mind recently after watching a news item about the bar tailed godwit. This amazing little bird, in fact thousands of them, regularly spend the summer in New Zealand. These birds know all about endurance. They have flown 11000kms from Alaska for a southern hemisphere vacation, resting in the warm climate while eating delectable morsels, fattening up, and enlarging their hearts in order to fly back to Alaska. Prepared and goal focused, they know the exact time when to leave our shores.

They remind me of Jesus. The parallel between this little bird and Jesus makes me ponder about how I should endure better. Success never comes easy, it does take endurance, courage, self sacrifice and determination.

The Godwit, so small and insignificant yet so focused and enduring. God gave Jesus to mankind as our example of grace and “concentrated patience.” He was the finest example.

I need “concentrated patience” – endurance, which by definition is “the power to withstand hardship and stress”. Why should I bother? Because I would like to do the will of God in my life.

I need endurance as an ongoing characteristic of the Christian model to the ever present observers and to maintain an overcoming spirit. Obviously, I need more of Jesus in my life.

TUESDAY 11th

Carey Community Sports...

An annual Carey event...for everyone whether to compete or to cheer!

9:30am— Meet in the dining room for morning tea.

10am ish—the games begin!

WEDNESDAY 12th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

All welcome to join in.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Graduation!

Saturday 28 March

Auckland Baptist Tabernacle @ 4pm

Speaker: Paul Windsor

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

Easter Camps!

10-13 April

A number of Carey staff will be speaking and doing seminars at camps all over New Zealand. Plus there are a large number of students involved in either leading the camps or taking youth groups—keep them in your prayers as they prepare.

SURVIVING CAREY STUDY

Often people feel disoriented when they start study, especially if they haven't done study at tertiary level before. To help you with the process, Russell Thorp will run two one-hour sessions, one week apart, to help you study successfully. There will be topics like how to read an academic book, how to manage your studies, how to prepare for an assignment, how to write an essay etc.

This session will occur today Monday 16th March at 1:30pm in the Chapel will be repeated on Tuesday 17th March at 9am in the Chapel.

Do come if you think the topics could be of help to you.

GRADUATION HELP!

On Saturday 28 March we will hold our annual Graduation Ceremony at the Auckland Baptist Tabernacle.

In order for this to run well we need some help. If you are willing to assist with any of the below please let Rachel know (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz; 526 6598)

· Ushers (4)

· Servers for the refreshments post ceremony (4-6)

· Parking attendants

BLOOM EVENT!

‘bloom’ exists to resource, inspire and walk alongside young women and this year we haveinspiring/challenging and resourceful seminars planned that are open to any young woman from 17 plus years and also will be helpful for anyone working with young woman!

Cherith Joy Vaha'akolo is straight up and funny.Passionate about young people and interested inworldandof its challenges, she is a communicatorwill remember.understands that at the heart ofgirl isquestion 'who really thinks I am beautiful out there?"Joy wants toyouquestion.

This open, real and challenging forum will address issues around sex, loneliness, singleness, relationships and intimacy with God and each other.

Mangere Baptist Church

Friday 27 March @ 7:30pm

Cost $10

RSVP to: Jax Clarkson, ph 021 500 058 or jax@bloom.org.nz

ESSAY COMPETITION

Are you interested in gender and faith?

For the first time in our history, Christians for Biblical Equality (CBE) is holding a student paper competition!

Students from around the world are invited to submit their research papers to CBE. Three students will be awarded a scholarship to present their research papers at CBE’s 2009 conference in St. Louis, MO, on July 24-26. All papers submitted may also be considered for publication in one of CBE’s award-winning journals.

The submission deadline for the student paper competition is May 1, 2009.

For more information about the conference, visit www.cbeinternational.org

To view the paper guidelines for the student paper competition, visit:

www.cbeinternational.org/new/events/StLouis09/paper_guidelines_web.pdf

TOWARDS A KIWI-MADE PREACHING

A forum exploring the possibilities for biblical preaching in NZ

If you are committed to the future of biblical preaching in NZ, then this smorgasbord of questions provoked by experienced and emerging preaching from within this Kiwi context is for you.

There will be many contributors from a range of organisations and churches from all over NZ, including special guest: Jonathan Lamb (Director, Langham Preaching)

When: Saturday 18 April

Time: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Where:
Carey Baptist College

Cost: Early Bird (March 20):$50 waged and $20 (unwaged)

(After April 15): $60 waged and $30 unwaged

Contact: For cost and registrations (early bird specials apply) contact Alyssa Windsor (alyssa.windsor@gmail.com)

Brought to you by Langham Partnership (NZ).www.langhampartnership.org.nz

UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY

“Hi my name is Shannon and I am eighteen months old. I am trying to help my parents find me a grown up Christian playmate to become part of our family for at least a year. We are praying for a special person who could play with me and work part time hours to keep our house going. In return we would provide you with full board and lodgings, access to our car and possible foreign holidays.

We live in Mt Wellington, 2km from Sylvia park and from Carey. We would like a pastoral reference (or similar). For further info. please contact Sarah on sarahgordon1066@hotmail.com

“One Free Coffee”

Yes that’s right present this coupon on one of our coffee days coming up and save yourself - $2. Watch this space for dates and times!

From your Student Association team