News

GMIM 9 March 2009

GMIM 9 March 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Charles Hewlett writes...

I don’t know about you, but I often have feelings of inadequacy.

As Director of Ministry Training at Carey Baptist College I am responsible for overseeing the training of about 35 pastoral leadership students, and then about another 20 in their first 2 years of ministry. Sometimes I lie awake at night and think, “Why on earth did they give me this job?” When I stand in front of the class and have to talk about self-care, and managing people, and being a pastor, and theological reflection, and so on, it is very easy to wonder, “Who am I to be talking about this?” “I don’t have the ability to do this!”

Do you ever feel inadequate? As leaders we are often expected to do a number of things: to lead a team of people, model Christian living, articulate vision, develop communities of love and fellowship, establish mission, motivate, preach and teach, handle conflict, care for people, raise finances, reach the lost – the list, and the pressure, goes on and on and on... And we look at our humanity and our weaknesses and we can feel inadequate. And you might ask, “Why in earth did they give me this job?” Moses felt it, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” Gideon asked, “How can I save Israel…my clan is the weakest…and I am the least in my family.” Isaiah, “I am a man of unclean lips,” and Jeremiah, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.”

I am learning that God’s prescription for those of us who are feeling inadequate is to be humble. I love his words in Isaiah 57:15, “I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite.” Is this not one of the most beautiful statements in Scripture? The one who is totally separated from the inhabitants of earth in his “holy place” says his dwelling place is with the lowly and the contrite.

This week I would like to encourage those of us feeling inadequate – perhaps it is a good thing – we can be assured of God’s presence with us! It’s not a case of “I’m inadequate so I better give up” but rather it’s a case of being assured that it is in these very situations that God dwells with his people. God’s prescription is for us to look for his strength, rather than being burdened by our own inadequacies.

I think being a humble leader means:

being prepared to admit our weaknesses and dependence on God

being prepared to acknowledge his guidance and protection in what we are doing

being open to wise counsel and having a teachable spirit

not thinking it is our dynamic personality or marketing savvy that has caused success

being prepared to acknowledge when other people contribute

The basis of our confidence should not be in what we can or can’t do, but rather in who God is and his relationship with us. James 4:6 reads, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” Have a good week.

TUESDAY 11th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now: Genesis 1:1

Tim Bulkeley

Facilitators: Tim Palmer & Shaun Hutson

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Merrilyn Withers: Merrilyn is well-known around the corridors and classrooms of Carey as she regularly teaches here in the area of Youth Ministry. In 2009 Merrilyn takes on the role of President for the Baptist Churches of NZ – a role which will see her travel around the country interacting with Baptist churches.

WEDNESDAY 12th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

All welcome to join in.

ACCESS TO BUILDINGS

Dining Room/Chapel (card access only)

8:30am-9:30pm Monday - Thursday

8:30am-5:00pm Friday

Lecture/Admin

Main entrance

8:30am-5pm is open access Mon—Fri.

No student access after 5pm.

Back entrance

8:30am-9:30pm Monday-Thursday

8:30am-5:00pm Friday

MAXX TRANSPORT TICKETS

For full time students who regularly use the bus, ferry or train to get around, we have a number of MAXX ID stickers that go on your student ID card which will allow you up to 40% discount of the cost of public transport. Please see reception for this sticker!

PLEASE HELP US OUT!

As a non-residential college, we need your help to keep Carey clean and tidy.

Please do enjoy the site but we would simply ask that you keep tidy the area that you are using, clean up the kitchen after you’ve used it.

Also we ask that items located in the kitchen are not removed from it. It becomes very awkward for others if the next group does not have the equipment they need.

Thank you!

CRECHE

On Tuesday mornings during teaching weeks and while Formation activities are underway, crèche is offered to those with children 1-5 years only. At this stage parents will need to make alternative arrangements for the under 1s.

9:30am - 1pm in the recreation room.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Coffee and Food!!

Monday 9th March

10:45am-11:30am in the dining room.

Good coffee, good food.

Come interact with others over morning tea.

Community Sports Day!

Tuesday 17 March 9:30am-1:00pm

A morning of sports and games and just hanging out getting to know others! Rounded off with lunch together.

Graduation!

Saturday 28 March

Auckland Baptist Tabernacle @ 4pm

Speaker: Paul Windsor

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

BURMESE CHRISTIAN GROUPS….

...in Auckland are holding another “Love Burma” Dinner. Loads of delicious food, cultural displays & ethnic dancing! There will be a short report from Dr Aung Mang of MEGST on cyclone relief and Christian witness as well. A fun and informative evening out.

Sunday 15 March 5pm-8pm at Laidlaw College. Cost $30. Do tell your friends, or why not make up a party! For more details, talk to Tim Bulkeley.

SURVIVING CAREY STUDY

Often people feel disoriented when they start study, especially if they haven't done study at tertiary level before. To help you with the process, Russell Thorp will run two one-hour sessions, one week apart, to help you study successfully. There will be topics like how to read an academic book, how to manage your studies, how to prepare for an assignment, how to write an essay etc.

The first session will occur today Monday 9th March at 1:30pm in Room 1 and will be repeated on Tuesday 10th March at 9am in the chapel.

The second session will occur one week later at the same times. Do come if you think the topics could be of help to you.

TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY LUNCHES

If you have particular dietary requirements e.g. vegetarian, gluten free, please let Rachel know this week and we will do what we can to assist in this area.

STAFF UPDATES

After 14 years as the Library Manager at Carey, Lesley Utting will be leaving us at Easter and will be taking up a role as Library Manager at Laidlaw College. Lesley has developed the Carey library over her time here to be a place of significance in theological college circles. We warmly wish her all the best and will certainly miss her around this place.

Over coming weeks do take the time to talk with Lesley, thank her and say goodbye before Easter.

FAREWELLING PAUL WINDSOR

After 11 years, Paul Windsor moves on from the role of Principal at the end of this month. We are holding a farewell and thanksgiving dinner and you are welcome to attend. Details below:

Friday 27 March 2009

6:30pm

Cost $30 per person

Manukau City Baptist Church

9 Lambie Drive

Manukau City

Please RSVP by Monday 16 March to

Rachel Murray

PO Box 12149

Auckland 1642

Ph 09 526 6598; rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz

We would like to present Paul and Barbara with a book of tributes, messages and memories and we invite you contribute to this. Please forward these either via email or in hard copy to the above email or postal address no later than Friday 13 March.

GRADUATION HELP!

On Saturday 28 March we will hold our annual Graduation Ceremony at the Auckland Baptist Tabernacle.

In order for this to run well we need some help. If you are willing to assist with any of the below please let Rachel know (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz; 526 6598)

· Ushers (4)

· Servers for the refreshments post ceremony (8-10)

· Sound operator

· Data projectionist

· Parking attendants

SECONDHAND BOOKS

If you are looking for second hand Christian books try:

Evermore Books

7 - 9 Ellis Avenue

Mt Roskill

ph 626 2256

or

Christian Value Books

www.christianvaluebooks.co.nz

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES THISWEEK

Alison Given from Interserve will be on site Tuesday 10 March.

If you are interested in finding out more about Interserve and their work in Asia and the Middle East or how you might be involved, please do connect with her over lunch or in the Intercultural Studies room.

NOTICEBOARDS

When you are onsite keep an eye on the noticeboard particularly down the corridor outside the lecture rooms. This often has job vacancies and accommodation option on it that regularly change, along with notices about various events coming up.

HEADING INTO CROSS-CULTURAL MISSION?

Many of us around Carey have already had some experience in cross-cultural mission, are considering moving in that direction, or have a passion for this aspect of what God is doing in the world. Does that include you?

If so, I’d love to connect with you and see if there are ways in which we could support each other in the Carey part of the journey.

Please get in touch. George Wieland (PH 526 6593 or george@carey.ac.nz, office two doors along from the dining room)