News

GMIM - 9 June 2008

GMIM - 9 June 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Charles Hewlett writes...

Recently my wife and I have taken to reading a chapter each night from a gospel before we turn the light out. I'm not sure why - we both had this real sense of wanting the life of Jesus to speak to us in a fresh way. So we have motored our way through Mark and we are now half way though the gospel of Luke.

I was sitting at home one afternoon working at my computer when the phone rang. I was a little annoyed with the interruption but I decided to answer it. "Hi," the quiet voice said to me on the other end, "It's Debbie." My initial response was, "Oh no! Not Debbie." Now don't get me wrong, she's a lovely person. Debbie is a follower of Jesus and I once attended the same home group as her and her husband Paul. But for Debbie life is hard. She has a mental illness and I would describe her as high maintenance - the sort of person who would have a different crisis each week and if you showed just a little bit of interest in her she would start camping out at your house. She was very time consuming. I hadn't seen Debbie for many years.

This afternoon the voice on the phone said, "Hi, It's Debbie. Paul has left me for someone else." Caught unawares, there was an embarrassing pause. She continued on, "I have a good therapist and they have increased my medication. I'm doing okay."

In these few seconds I had to make a decision. Do I express a deep love and concern for this person (and have her back busying my life) or do I politely let her know I am sorry and get back to marking assignments (and hope she will find her support elsewhere). I knew that if I had relied on my human strength and my limited compassion the response would have been very clear, "I can't get involved in all this. I must be wise and protect myself. I have far more important and pressing things to attend to - she will just suck me dry!"

But, this afternoon, as I listened to Debbie talk, all I could hear were the gospel stories that my wife and I had been soaking ourselves in. As I listened to her all I could think about was the love that Jesus expressed to so many people: the possessed man in Capernaum , the leper he reached out and compassionately touched, the mentally and physically disabled. I thought about all of the love that was behind the crucifixion events. I realised too, that Jesus expressed this love for me!

And all this compelled me to love and take a deep interest in Debbie. At that moment all I wanted to do was reach my arms out down the phone and give her a big hug. It was solely the love of God that made me react and respond in this way.

This week, may our lives be so immersed in God's love that we have no choice but to love and serve those around us. Jesus said, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself."

Have a good week.

MONDAY 9th

Community Worship

PRIOR APPOINTM ENT has changed!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

TUESDAY 10th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Luke 4:16-30

Murray Robertson

Facilitated by

Mark Powell & Martin Baldwin

After Dinner Mints

Murray Robertson

Murray has been the senior pastor at Spreydon Baptist Church in Christchurch for 40 years - one of the largest Baptist churches in NZ and the longest serving pastor in one position. He has also taken on the role of President of the Baptist Churches of NZ in 2008. We look forward to having Murray spend the day with us.

WEDNESDAY 11th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

THE PRIOR APPOINTMENT THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot, is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave."                               William Drummond

BYE...

There are number of you for whom this semester is the last one at Carey. Thank you for being a part of this community whether by distance or onsite. We have been privileged to have had you study with us and we pray God goes with you to whatever comes next. See you at Graduation on 28 March 2009 maybe?!

WORKING TOWARDS SEMESTER TWO

For returning students (distance or onsite)... please remember that the enrolment deadline for semester two courses is Wednesday 25 June.

And on the money front - fees for semester two are due Friday 11 July.

If you have not decided on courses and need to talk this through please connect with Russell Thorp (Dean of undergraduate Studies) or Neroli Hodges (Registrar) sooner rather than later.

EVALUATION FORMS

Please remember to complete your course evaluation forms for this semester by 27 June and hand or send back to reception. These forms are found in the front of your workbooks - this is your chance to give us feedback ☺

TE REO COURSES

We have the possibility of being able to offer a free Te Reo (Maori language) & Maori culture course onsite at Carey in the second semester. The course is run over ~12 weeks and timeframes are open at this point. However before we confirm this offer we'd like to gauge how much interest there may be.

If this is an opportunity you would be keen to take up, please let Rachel know or write your name on the sheet on the dining room noticeboard by 11 June.

DOULOS SHIP IS COMING TO AUCKLAND 10-30 JUNE

The Doulos will be docked at Princes Wharf and will be open to the public to tour and enjoy its onboard programmes organised by the crew. Entrance is Free
Opening Hours:
Tue-Sat: 10am-10pm
Sun-Mon: 2-10pm

See flyer on noticeboard for details of events and programmes taking place or the website www.om.org.nz/doulos

@ THE LIBRARY. STOP PRESS!! NB!!

The Library will be open until 9pm on:

Monday 16th June

Tuesday 17th June

Wednesday 18th June

Monday 23rd June

Tuesday 24th June

Wednesday 25th June

See you there!!

A WORSHIP WORKSHOP WITH DONNA DINSMORE

Saturday 28 June

10am - 4pm

Mt Roskill Baptist Church

483 Richardson Rd , Mt Roskill, Auckland

Morning and afternoon tea provided, but bring your own lunch

Donna has worked as a choral music educator and as Music and Worship Coordinator in the USA and Canada . She integrates her music education experience with spirituality and theology facilitating interactive worship that falls somewhere between the traditional and the current contemporary. www.donnadinsmore.com

What can you expect? To explore the depth and breadth of Christian worship. Interactive, engaging, evoking conversation. Learn to grapple with how God speaks to us and how best to design worship experiences that create a space for more authentic conversing between God and us.

Who will benefit? Worship leaders, worshippers, musicians, pastors and everyone with a heart for thoughtful and creative Christian worship.

Cost? Suggested koha of $20