News

GMIM - 7 April 2008

GMIM - 7 April 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Neroli Hodges writes...

Of Timing and People

This year I have found myself reading through books about New Zealand sportspeople. Last year I had it as one of my New Year's resolutions to read one biography and one autobiography - I did succeed in all of my other resolutions but that one I did not. This year it just seems to have happened and the timing has been perfect!

First up was Lorraine Moller.  Lorraine Moller came from the same wee rural town of Putaruru that I spent some of my growing up years in - she was a little older than me but I knew some of the places and people she mentions in her book. It's a good read and you wouldn't have to come from Putaruru (or even know where it is!) to enjoy it.

Next up I read Susan Devoy's book only because I was looking for another book to read while I work out at the gym every week day morning and it happened to be at the Hospice Shop in Mt Eden that I volunteer at once a month (a perk of the job is you get to read the books for free!).

My third one is Hamish Carter's book which a mate at the gym has loaned me after seeing me reading away at the gym on the bikes!.

Lorraine's book inspired me in my own sporting prowess!  At the time I began to read it I was in training myself not for a marathon but a half marathon  (walking it not running it!). She may have been up there in world class athletics but she had a way of (nearly!) convincing me I could take on the world!

Susan Devoy's story is one of a determined girl in a family of boys who seemed to have a built-in desire to succeed. Although if she had not had older brothers we may not have seen her pick up a squash racket.

Hamish Carter's book I'm only part way through but already you can pick the determination and the drive that got him to the top. From an early age he had heroes and the inspiration to go for it!

All these athletes succeeded at some time or other - timing was a factor but through all the pages of their own particular journey you get the picture that family and people mattered and ended up being part of the package that got them to their own particular high points, which included Olympic medals or World No 1 in their sport.  They achieved greatness and enjoyed for a moment standing in their dream.

I did succeed in going under my targeted 3 hour walk time - coming 16 minutes under actually! Timing may have played a part for I had met a man the day before - but that story may have to wait for another GMIM - after all timing is (nearly!) everything - people matter more!

MONDAY 7th

Community Worship

1:15-1:35pm in the Chapel

"Prior Appointment".

All welcome.

TUESDAY 8th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

"Spirit Then & Now" John 16:1-15

Brian Krum

Facilitated by Stu Print & Rhett Snell

After Dinner Mints

Bruce Pilbrow

Bruce is the CEO of Parents Inc. where he is responsible for the strategic, marketing and business direction of the organisation. His background includes advertising and marketing in the corporate and not-for-profit sectors.

WEDNESDAY 9th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

emester 1

CAFÉ THEOS

Café Theos is back!

If you are interested joining in Café Theos please meet briefly in the dining room after lunch on Tuesday.                                                                Myk Habets

MONDAY WORSHIP

AND WEDNESDAY PRAYER

Just a reminder about these two worship sessions each week in the chapel.

Mondays 1:15-1:35pm  - reflective worship

Wednesdays 12:40-1:00pm - Prayer for college, community and country.

Take some time out between classes to join with others.

CHURCH STORES VACANCY

Church Stores in Ellerslie is looking for someone to work in the store 10-12 hours a week. If you are interested please ring Carol or Malcolm on ph 5251380.

STUDENT SURVEYS

A reminder about the Student Survey. For onsite students, a copy will have been put in your pigeon hole and is also available at the reception counter. Please take 5 minutes to complete this and return it to the blue and white box at reception no later than Friday 11 April.

Thanks!

GAINING A HEART FOR THAILAND AND MYANMAR

An OMF Auckland event

Saturday 12 April

3:30-7:30pm

Carey Chapel

Cost $10

RSVP to nz-admin@omf.net or ph 630 5778

THANK YOU...

...to everyone involved in the DIY day last Tuesday. Thankfully the weather held just long enough for us to get the gardens transformed. They look great thanks to a lot of muscle and hard work. Likewise those who got stuck into the cleaning around the place, the moving of furniture and all the other things taken care of that day....thank you all for mucking in.

WORSHIP RETREAT

Leisured conversations about God and us

with Donna Dinsmore

Tuesday 1- Thursday 3 July

Tauhara Retreat Centre

Taupo

Numbers are limited to 30 people so get in quickly if your interested.

For more information and to register online www.WorshipRetreat.com

FIRE EVACUATION POLICY

As we work through the updates of our fire evacuation policy we are required by law to have a drill periodically. Please be aware that this will take place in the near future.

NB: If the fire alarm goes...

- please exit the building you are in as quickly and calmly as possible by the nearest safe exit.

- Your meeting point is the rear car park.

- Please remain there until the fire warden indicates you can return to the building.

DINING ROOM AND KITCHEN

Just a reminder...you are more than welcome to use the kitchen facilities however please do help us out by ensuring that you completely clean up after yourself including putting away any dishes that go through the steriliser. Many thanks