News

GMIM -31 March 2008

GMIM -31 March 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Brian Krum writes...

Earth Hour Guilt

People all over the world switched off lights for an hour to show concern at global warming this past Saturday night. According to the Sunday Herald, "Up to 30 million people were expected to switch off their lights for 60 minutes by the time "Earth Hour", which started at 8pm here in New Zealand and in Fiji, completed its cycle westwards." Did you notice that the Sky Tower switched off its floodlights from 8-9pm on Saturday night?

I read in the paper that General manager of SkyCity said turning off the lights was a "symbolic gesture." He said Auckland "is concerned about global warning, and SkyCity did its bit last night to let people know it is committed to saving energy." I wonder if they turned off all of the pokie machines inside as well?

The Krum family did its bit on Saturday night. We turned off everything at the power point except the fridge, the TV, and the espresso machine. Apparently we were allowed to keep the essentials on...kind of like the pokie machines in SkyCity. My wife said she wanted to join in the awareness campaign. It was a well meaning symbolic gesture for her too. I did it because I didn't want to face the "guilts" from any Carey student that may ask me if I joined the Earth Hour campaign.

You know the guilt I am talking about. It's the same guilt that comes when a student asks me, "Is that Fair Trade coffee you're drinking?" Or "Did you have your quiet time today?" Or the worst one: "How is your diet going" as I am walking back to my table after loading up on some Carey free lunch.

The reason I bring this up is because the organisers of Earth Hour said "that while switching off a light for one hour would have little impact on carbon emissions, the fact that so many people were taking part showed how much interest and concern at the climate crisis had taken hold." They then went on to say, "Next year it will be even bigger."

Much like going through a "fair trade" phase, up until you taste the chocolate; or starting a new year's resolution of diet and quiet times up until 10 January, "awareness campaigns" often make little difference. Yes, they do create awareness, but when they also create an "even bigger campaign next year" we have lost the point.

Change doesn't happen like a diet. How many diets have you been on in your life? A diet is a campaign, and while it may make some change for awhile, as soon as the "campaign" is over, out comes the baggy clothes again. If Denise and I really wanted Earth Hour to influence us, we would need to talk about how we can stop wasting power. And to do that means we would have to face why we waste so much in the first place. And that takes understanding. And once we understood, we could then experiment with our power consumption life style.

Change happens when awareness leads to understanding, and when understanding leads to consistent and transformational action. In a world that tells me I "deserve" to have what I want, I need to understand why I live that way and why that way is wrong. Then I need to try new ways of life that not only help me change, but keep me from going back to the old way again.

So while getting involved in an awareness campaign is good, unless I talk to someone about the issues involved, it does me no good to "guilt" me into joining the next bigger campaign that comes around. Otherwise, I'll just learn to sneak non-fair trade chocolate in the dark when I should be having my quiet time...because then everyone would be happy.

MONDAY 31st

1:05-1:35pm in the Chapel

A special visit ...with Dr. Neville Callam

General Secretary of the Baptist World Alliance.

He will be meeting with a number of people  but is also keen to spend some time interacting with students.

Come and hear something of his story and ask questions of him.

TUESDAY 1st April

DIY DAY

Carey's annual clean-up, fix-it, make-it event when we spend the morning working around the site.

A fun, creative community event finished off with a BBQ lunch together.

WEDNESDAY 2nd 

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

VISIT BY DR. NEVILLE CALLAM

TODAY 1:05-1:35pm in the Chapel

Dr. Neville Callam is the General Secretary of the Baptist World Alliance....the 'top man' if you like. It is not often that this person is in New Zealand  and he is spending the day on site interacting with a number of people. Plus is is also keen to spend some time with students.

So make the most of this opportunity to hear from him on his story and ask any questions you have .

DIY DAY

Tuesday 1 April; 9:30am- 1:00pm

Don't miss our annual 'Team-Up Scrub Up' around the campus next week. If you can paint, plant, build, clean or breathe ... we need you. Make a difference, or only make a mess, but wear clothes to work in, have a few laughs and make some more friends at Carey. This takes place instead of the usual Formation Tuesday.

9:30am            Morning tea in Dining Room

10:00am          DIY team projects around Carey

12 noon          BBQ lunch

If you are keen to help outside in the garden, please bring whatever gardening gear you have at home - loopers, rakes, hedge clippers, trowels, gardening gloves. See you there!

CAFÉ THEOS

Café Theos is back!

Interested in systematic theology? Do you have a theological imagination and like to discuss theology over coffee? Want the opportunity to talk theology and then begin to reflect on how you apply it with a couple of faculty and other like-minded students? Then Café Theos is for you! This year we will meet once a month at a local café with myself and another member of faculty. If interested please let me know ASAP and we will set up the first Café.                                                               Myk Habets

FROM PAUL WINDSOR

"With the new Management Team working so well together through 2007, I asked the Carey Board if I could slip away for a few months and give some long overdue attention to my DMin studies. They have granted me Study Leave from 1st April - 1st September (5 months).

During that time my goal is to complete the writing of the 60,000 word thesis as well as enrol in my final paper. I am grateful to the Board for this opportunity and share the confidence they have in Rachel, Graeme and Laurie to keep Carey moving along just fine. Best wishes for the year ahead."

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS

Daylight Savings finishes this Sunday morning (6 April) - remember to put your clocks, watches, stoves, microwaves etc. back one hour. An extra hour's sleep!

CHURCH STORES BOOKS

During the first week of classes, people from Church Stores were on-site for you to buy or order text books.

If you did order books these are now available at Church Stores at 8 Robert St, Ellerslie (just across the motorway).

Please ensure you head over there as soon as possible and collect and pay for your order.

MONDAY WORSHIP

AND WEDNESDAY PRAYER

Just a reminder about these two worship sessions each week in the chapel.

Mondays 1:15-1:35pm  - reflective worship

Wednesdays 12:40-1:00pm - Prayer for college, community and country.

Take some time out between classes to join with others.

Just a reminder...

For those students enrolled in the Block Course MM667 Leadership: Marketplace with Martyn Norrie...

Thursday 3 - Saturday 5 April