News

GMIM - 20 August 2007

GMIM - 20 August 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Rachel Murray writes...

I love airports. There's just something about the atmosphere of them that is exciting, inspiring and gets the blood going! Because of that I didn't have to think twice about going to the international terminal at 5am on Sunday morning to pick up my brother, who'd had 5 weeks kitesurfing and playing in Southern Europe. While I waited for him to come through customs, I people-watched (although they were probably watching me as much as I was watching them!).

There's the woman across the way waiting for her husband or maybe a sister or someone she's never met. The kids behind me are bouncing around excitedly because Dad is coming home, the tour operators and shuttle bus drivers are lined up with their many signs. The couple in front of me are anxious because the person they're waiting for hasn't come through the gates and the flight number has disappeared off the board. The cafe is churning out the coffee, keeping people awake given the early hour, luggage keeps falling off trolleys because they're overladen and people are running to connect to domestic flights. There is laughter, tears, plenty of hugs, flowers, balloons, gifts etc. etc. Airports simply buzz with activity. I couldn't help wondering what the stories were behind every situation. Why did they leave? What led them to NZ? Where did they go? Are they breathing a sigh of relief because they're home and things are familiar or feeling nervous because they're stepping into the unknown?

And that's exactly it. How often do we ever step into the unknown whether that be in our own back yard or beyond? I don't just mean in the big things but even in the little things. Taking on a new role, talking to someone new, leading something from 'up front', doing something in the background instead of up front...essentially doing something which may mean not necessarily knowing the outcome, but being prepared to find out! Being brave and giving it a shot! How much do we ever take that risk? The 'I can't' excuse is a very easy one to use in order to avoid the unknown.

When my brother and I moved across to the domestic terminal to wait for his next flight, he pulled out his photo storage gizmo thingy (all way too much technology for me!) and showed me some of the photos he'd taken. Many of the images showed how much he'd had to be prepared to 'give it a shot' and be ready to face the outcome of that decision. Because he was willing he has some incredible memories of people and places and his character will grow because of it.

This is also one of the reasons that Ruth is one of my favourite women of the Bible. She was someone who when everything had fallen apart around her, was prepared to say, "I'll go and I'll try" when it would have been so easy to say 'I can't, it's all too hard'. Her faith and willingness to risk it all resulted in huge blessing for her and others and just look at the lineage she became part of!

So what do you reckon? Prepared to say 'I'll try' to something this week instead of 'I can't'? Willing to step across the boundary of the known, to the unknown? Ready to add something to your story? I'll try if you will!

MONDAY 20th

Community Worship

12.:40-1:00pm

Own reflection and worship in the chapel

TUESDAY 21st

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 7:1-6

Mick Duncan

Facilitated by Intermission students

After Dinner Mints

Donna Dinsmore

Donna is an accomplished musician and educator and has been the key worship facilitator and director at Regent College in Canada. Currently at Carey Theological College in Canada, she is skilled at inviting people to participate fully in worship.

WEDNESDAY 23rd 

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

August

CAFÉ THEOS

Mondays 12.45 - 1.45pm in the dining room.

All welcome to casually discuss theology over lunch and coffee. Please see Myk Habets for a reading.

The Great Big Kiwi-to-Kyrgyz

No-Junk Book Sale

Wednesday 22 August

1:20 - 3:00pm

Reception Area

This is part of Project 200...

*          an initiative to raise money to buy 200 Russian-language books

*          for a leading theological college in the Central Asian Republics

*          library has no budgeted income - it is dependent on donations

*          every NZ $25 we raise will buy one book for the library

*          the idea for a book sale comes from the desire to give expression

*          to the biblical value of "out of our surplus to supply their need"

EFTPOS facility will be available

If you have some quality books you'd like to contribute to this sale please leave them with Rachel by Tuesday 21 August

PIGEON HOLES AND ACCESS

Pigeon holes have moved! This has been necessary to ensure that all students can access these whether during the day or in the evening. These are now located down the main corridor outside the lecture rooms.

Access to some areas has also changed from this week. Onsite students should have all received something about this in your pigeon holes, however please note that the internal doors near Room 1 will be closed and locked from 5:30pm - 8am each night. If you have evening classes you will need to enter and exit the building through the rear doors.

Thank you for your patience and understanding through all this renovation and as things settle into a new routine for everyone.

"WORSHIP MATTERS"

Tuesday 21 August; 1:00-1:45pm in the chapel

At the beginning of the semester we enjoyed having with us, Donna Dinsmore who led us in our Community Worship. Donna will be our guest speaker at lunch on 21 August and then has offered to facilitate a conversation with anyone interested in the area of worship. Make the most of this special opportunity.

WELCOME TO BAPTIST UNION,

TRANZSEND AND MPIL STAFF

As you move around college, you may well come across the staff that are now based on Level One. Please say hi to them, welcome them to this site and get to know them as they interact with us.

@ THE LIBRARY OVER THE BREAK

The Library will remain on usual hours, including evenings and Saturdays, over the next 3 weeks during the mid semester break and study week.

Enjoy the break!

A break from lectures it may be for 3 weeks from next Monday but we know there is still plenty going on for you. Enjoy any time off you have, study hard and we look forward to seeing you back in classes on Monday 17 September.

Distance students, we hope you are also able to find some space to relax a little in this time.

CHRYSALIS SEES TRUST

Tuesday 18 September; 1-1:45pm in the chapel

Chrysalis Seed Trust is an organisation that aims to help resource artists from a Christian perspective - via support groups, information, exhibitions and a regular magazine (CS Arts). Check out their website at www.cs.org.nz . Peter and Jessica from this Trust will be onsite on the 18th to talk with anyone that has an interest in this area.

NEXT OPEN TUESDAYS

Tuesday 25 September; 6-9pm

Tuesday 16 October; 8:45am-4pm

We have two more Open Tuesdays in 2007. One an evening and one a day event.  If you are aware of people who are thinking of theological study, please encourage them to come along to one of these days and to be in touch with Neroli for details or check out the website www.carey.ac.nz