News

GMIM - 6 August 2007

GMIM - 6 August 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Michael Hanson writes...

As some of you know, I have been away over the last couple of weeks studying.  One of the courses that I really enjoyed was taught by Tod Bolsinger, Senior Pastor of San Clemente Presbyterian church in the USA and author of the book called It Takes A Church to Raise a Christian.

The book picks up the theme of an African proverb that says that "It takes a village to raise a child" and gives it a Christian focus by claiming that "It takes a Church to raise a Christian."

The class looked at a number of themes in the book.  Probably the biggest reminder to me was the significance of the local church.  It is easy to forget about the importance of the local church in God's plan.  Bill Hybels said that the "the local church is the hope of the world," but many of us seem to have lost hope in the church.  I am not trying to say that the church is all that it should be - there is a lot that our churches need to do better, but I do believe that the church is the hope of the world!

One focus of the class was looking at how the Godhead is a triune community and the significant implications that this has on the local church.  If the Godhead is a triune community then the church should be an expression of this triune community.  The importance of Christian community both as a reflection of the nature of God and as a practical means of moving towards Christian maturity, cannot be ignored.

"Why do we need to be part of the community? Because the community is a reflection of the image of God, and only within the community can we become what we were made for." Bolsinger It Takes a Church to Raise a Christian p. 165-6

Churches today are often presented more like shops in a shopping mall, simply vendors of religious services, than a community of God's people.  All we need to do is come to church, pick up what we need and then go on our way.  For many people there is no expectation that they commit themselves to church any more than they would to their favourite supermarket or hardware shop.

But this is not what we see in the New Testament.  The church is the people of the people, a transformed and transforming community of Jesus people.  Numerous scriptures remind us of this - for example consider 1 Peter 2:9-10

But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you - from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted.   (The Message)

For me the challenge is this.

The local church as "hope of the world", but do I really believe it?

The church is the means by which I am being transformed into the likeness of God but how committed am I do it?

What do you think?

MONDAY 6th

Community Worship

12.:40-12:50pm

Own reflection and worship in the chapel

TUESDAY 7th

No usual Formation Tuesday

"ASHES"

9:30am-1:00pm

An annual Carey community-wide event - a morning of fun and games plus lunch together.

WEDNESDAY 8th 

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

"ASHES!!"

Tuesday 7 August

A morning of games, fun and getting to know others.

9:30am - meet in the dining room for morning tea.

10am - Move into different activities.

12 noon - And it's all wrapped up with lunch together.

Usual Formation Tuesday activities will be cancelled for that week with the exception of Speakers Corners at 9am which will still take place.

Thanks to the Student Association team for overseeing this day.

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday 14 August

8:45am- 4:00pm

If you know of people that might be interested in studying at Carey, onsite or distance, part or full time, please encourage them to come to this day if they are able.

This is a great opportunity for people to come and see us just as we are, to join in Formation activities and lectures and to ask all the questions they have.

Contact Neroli (registrar@carey.ac.nz) for full details or www.carey.ac.nz

BOOKS AND BOOKSTALL

FOR CENTRAL ASIA

An initiative is underway to raise money for 200 Russian language books for the theological library college in Central Asia. If you would like to be a part of this (wherever you are in the country) and donate to the project, please contact Rachel for details (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz or 09 526 6598).

We are also planning a bookstall on Wednesday 22 August with proceeds going towards this project. If you have books that you would be happy to donate towards this please see Rachel. Please note this is a stall for theological, biblical, mission and ministry related books.

More details to come on this.

NOTICEBOARDS AND NOTICES

With the renovations, the placement of the large noticeboard has had to be revisited. From now, notices related to job vacancies, accommodation, events and general Carey activities will be on the board outside the chapel and in the dining room.

If you would like a notice placed on the boards, please pass it through reception first.

MUSIC STANDS

We're looking for one or two music stands that can be used in our chapel and in classes as needed. If you have one that you no longer use and would be happy to donate it to us, please contact Rachel (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz).

LOST PROPERTY

Please keep a close eye on your belongings when you are at Carey. If however you think you have misplaced something while you're here, please check with reception as it might be there. Also if you come across property left in classrooms or the dining room etc., please bring it to reception.

At the moment in reception, there is...

- one brown and green scarf

- a small blue chilly bag left in the dining room and complete with lunch in it