News

GMIM - 30 July 2007

GMIM - 30 July 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Mike Crudge writes...

I've been 'pop-quizzing' a few random people over the last week, asking them to explain to me in a simple way what 'The Kingdom of God' is. I was prompted to do this after one of my university lecturers asked me to break down the guts of what a church should be about. Luckily I had already thought about this (this is pretty much the reason I'm doing post-grad study). My response to the lecturer was "to love God and love people" and then I went on to explain 'The Kingdom of God' - but without using that actual phrase because in my experience it no longer has any significant contextual meaning inside the church, so I figured my not-inside-the-church-lecturer would have even less clues. She said to me "that sounds good - so why aren't people going to church anymore?"  So I thought I'd write here about what was formally known as 'The Kingdom of God', but then discovered it's what I wrote here last year!  I find reading pretty tedious, hard, slow, difficult-to-focus-on-bland-pages-of-text and oppressive.  My point here is to do with having a holistic faith.  With my 'Kingdom of God' pop-quizzes, no one has yet been able to 'sell' the idea to me off-the-cuff. 

CommunityCAFÉ THEOS

ART WEEK...THANK YOU!

A massive thank you to all those who contributed your creations for last week. There is an incredible amount of talent lying amongst our community and we're grateful that you have been willing to share it with everyone.

Our hope is that you all enjoyed the work around the college and being able to reflect on it a little.

Your art is available for collection from Rachel's office.

We were also privileged to have Kees Bruin with us and I know he enjoyed being here too.

So good on ya! We'll keep building on this and do it again in 2008!

"ASHES!!"

LOST AND FOUND

A ring was found in Room 2 after the Youth Ministry block course. It has a cross engraved on inner and outer parts of the ring. If this is yours, please contact Lidy at reception.

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday 14 August

8:45am- 4:00pm

If you know of people that might be interested in studying at Carey, onsite or distance, part or full time, please encourage them to come to this day if they are able.

This is a great opportunity for people to come and see us just as we are, to join in Formation activities and lectures and to ask all the questions they have.

Contact Neroli (registrar@carey.ac.nz) for full details or www.carey.ac.nz

A REQUEST FOR HELP...

A couple of requests from us to you...

·     If you come across anything in any area of the college that is broken, damaged, depleted or you're concerned about, please let Lidy at reception know. We try hard to keep on top of maintenance but there will be times when things are missed. We may be aware of it but would rather you said something than not! So please help us to keep things fixed, whole and topped up.

·     We also seem to be missing a number of bowls, cups and trays from the kitchen, which make it difficult to cater functions properly. If you have taken leftovers home on anything, please could these be returned immediately.

Thank you!

BOOKS FOR CENTRAL ASIA

At the first Tuesday Community Worship of the semester, Paul Windsor reflected on his recent trip to Central Asia.

As part of this he mentioned an initiative to raise money for 200 Russian language books for the library of the theological college in that part of the world.

If you're keen to be a part of this initiative and would like details on how to go about it contributing to it, please contact Rachel (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz or 09 526 6598).