News

GMIM - 21 May 2007

GMIM - 21 May 2007

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Michael Hanson writes...

Why I like Jerry Falwell!

Jerry Falwell, the self-described fundamentalist passed away this week.  Probably not so well known in New Zealand as in his home country of North America, Falwell was a church planter, preacher, political activist, and founder of a Christian university.

Falwell has left a tremendous legacy and many have described his as a "giant" of the faith. I have to say as I have reflected on his life, I have been both inspired and angered.

So what inspired me?

There is much about Falwell's life that inspires me.

1. First and foremost he was a family man. Falwell was totally committed to his wife, children and grandchildren. His family was his number one priority.

2. His commitment to the lost. Falwell was a church planter.  He became a Christian at age 22 and not long after this planted Thomas Road Baptist Church. Today the church has a congregation of around 22,000.  His radio and TV ministry have impacted millions for Christ around the world.

3. His passion for what he believed in. Falwell was driven by his convictions.  The legacy that he leaves is huge - he was totally committed to what he believed in.

4. His desire to have his faith impacts all areas of life. Falwell believed that Christianity should impact all areas of life - family, church, education and politics.  The "Religious Right" has become a major force in American political life - this was largely mobilised by Falwell.

So what angered me?

As I was inspired about many aspects of his life, so too some of his life angered me.

1. His lack of compassion. Falwell was outspoken and often appeared to lack compassion for those who were different.  For example, after the terrorist attacks of September 11th 2001 he blamed abortionists, feminists, and homosexuals.

2.  His legalism. The approach that Falwell took to his faith was legalistic. Christianity is not defined by a set of rules.  Yes, as followers of Christ, our behaviour should be exemplary but our faith is not defined by "following the rules."

3. His focus on money. Falwell was a master of raising money. Over the years millions, probably billions of dollars have been raised by Falwell for his various ministries. I do wonder if this was the best use of the large amounts of money that Falwell raised.

So why do I like Jerry Falwell? - still not sure if I do or if I don't - I am still considering that.  But it has made me think - what would I be remembered for?

MONDAY 21st

Community Worship

12.:40-12:50pm

"Prayerstop"

Reflection and worship facilitated by George Wieland

TUESDAY 22nd

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by the

Intermission students

After Dinner Mints

Martin McCauley

Martin is the minister at St Paul's Presbyterian Church in Katikati. As part of developing their vision of strong community links, the church is undertaking a huge building project that will provide an attractive facility for a range of activities.

WEDNESDAY 23rd

CHIPS PRAYER

9:00-9:25am  - chapel

Praying for the college, community & country

Community Worship

12:40-1:00pm

Worship for the whole community - creative, visual reflection.

CAFÉ THEOS

Cafe Theos is on, Thursday 1-2pm.

This week we are discussing the issue of 'Does God Suffer'. All welcome.             Myk Habets

COLLEGE WOMEN

Thursday 31 May

6:45pm starting with dessert in the dining room

Come join with other women of college -staff, students, spouses, friends.

RENOVATIONS.....UPDATES

Please be aware that over the next week or so there will be a lot of activity around the administration area.

1)             From next week (Monday 28 May), the reception area will be located in the photocopy room. This is to make way for stairs to the first floor and a lift to be installed.

2)      Because of the above, although they will be around and able to deal with requests, administration staff will be limited in providing assistance on Thursday and Friday this week as various moves take place. Neroli will not be available Thurs 24th - Mon 25th. Please keep this in mind if you need to contact people.

3)         Office changes...from Monday 28th May.

a.      Neroli Hodges moves to Graeme Smith's office

b.      Graeme moves to Michael Hanson's office

c.      Michael moves to Derek Christensen's office

d.      Derek moves to Anne Harrison's office

e.      Anne moves to the copy room

f.       Lidy and reception move to the copy room

4)             With the need to relocate the server, the internet will also be unavailable in the library and around the campus from Friday and over the weekend.

We are very aware of the fact that this is 'mucky' and disruptive and with the noise coming through the walls and roof particularly in Room One. These are unfortunately the inevitabilities of construction and renovation. We apologise but please continue to bear with us! Once it settles down it'll all be good!

Thanks

@ THE LIBRARY

The Library will be open on Saturday 2nd June from 10am to 2.30pm and will be closed on Monday 4th June - Queen's Birthday weekend.

Extra late nights @ the Library

Tuesday 5th and Wednesday 6th June

open until 9pm

Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th June

open until 9pm

Tuesday 19th and Wednesday 20th June

open until 9pm

ART WEEK - 23-27 JULY

You will hear more about this in coming weeks but a little warning and to give you something to plan towards....

We began a new tradition of an art week in 2006.  It was a great beginning and a number of people contributed their own works for display around the college.

In 2007, we are taking this week to a new level and will have a number of things happening, including a guest speaker and artist, some hands-on activities etc. Start thinking now about your own art and what you would like to contribute to have displayed for that week. We'll fill you in with more details as they come to hand.