News

GMIM 19 September 2011

GMIM 19 September 2011

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Frances Leung writes…

A few months ago, I got a flatmate whom I had many conversations and interactions with. She mentioned a few times a statement from her mother, which she also thinks is wisdom for life, goes ‘It is better to know/learn how to BE (a person) than how to DO (works), as an ox also knows how to DO’ (I am translating that from Chinese, I hope is it understandable. If you can read Chinese, the original statement is ‘懂得做人比懂得做事好, 因為牛也懂得做事’). From the conversations we had, her meaning of ‘how to BE’ is to know how to interact with people, skilfully, making/remaining good relationships and fitting in with others.

For a more secular intention, it could also mean flattering, playing tricks, roping in others, forming divisional groups in order to make ‘good’ relationships to avoid extra work or losing your job. However, if we see it from a Christian perspective, I think the phrase ‘learn how to BE’ is worth paying attention to.

We are all very familiar with the concept of ‘being’ – to be disciples of Christ. I have no doubt in myself or other followers of Christ that we strive to be a person God wants us to be. We should also be a person in good relationships with others. Throughout the years, there are hindrances I found, that they were not merely about my self-centred nature, but also about my lack of basic life skills. Some well-known skills are time management, task planning, etc. Over the years, the skills I found that I need to constantly learn are: how to deal with failure, how to deal with criticism and demands from others, how to solve problems, how to manage anger, fear and other emotional instabilities. For the positive ones, I would say to learn how to be responsible and accountable, how to be realistic while still dare to dream, how to face challenges, how to accept and appreciate myself, how to prevent discouragements, how to encourage positive conversations, how to retain spiritual disciplines, etc. I hope you would have some resonance with me. I too hope parents can continue helping their kids in developing these skills. However above all, our Christian faith is the base of all of these developments. Without the love of Christ I don’t think I will learn how ‘to BE’ in the right way.

TUESDAY 20th

Community Worship 11:15am-12noon

Facilitated by Carey Staff Team

John Tucker

Phil 4:4-9

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Kerry Manders is the Media and Communications Director for Netball NZ. She has a communications degree with a major in Public Relations. Her key responsibilities include directing internal and external relations of Netball NZ and all media relations for the Silverferns. She is married to NIck.

WEDNESDAY 14th

Prayer for our Nation

Prayer for our 12:40-1:00pm

Come and join us as we pray Christ into our Nation. We will be praying for our Cities and Towns this week!

UPCOMING EVENTS

25 October Kiwi Made Preaching

Daylight Savings

Starts this weekend… don’t forget to put your clocks forward 1 hour on Sat after the rugby!

Kiwi Made Preaching Forums on 25th October

Help needed

Shireen needs some students to help out with registrations on the morning of the 25th of October. Please send her an email if you are willing to help out!

For students who are interested in signing up for this, please register at http://kiwimadepreaching.com/2011-forum/. The cost for Carey students is $30 for the whole day.

OPEN TUESDAYS

There are two further Open Tuesdays for 2011. If you are aware of anyone that may be interested in study in 2012 in any of the programmes, please encourage them to come to this. Neroli has full details of the day and she will take registrations. registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776.

27 September and 11 October; 8:45am-3pm

GRADUATION 2012…from the Academic Registrar

To all students intending to complete a Carey qualification this year – please remember to get the Graduation 2012 form from either reception or email Neroli for it. (registrar@carey.ac.nz) In order to graduate you need to complete this form in full whether or not you attend the ceremony.

The event itself will be held at the Manukau City Baptist Church on Saturday 24 March 2011.

ADVANCE WARNING FOR 2012!

The academic regulations relating to the late submission of assessment items will change next year. From the start of semester 1 2012:

1. all assessment work submitted after the due date, and up to one week late, will incur an academic penalty of a 10% reduction in marks (normally this will be equivalent to two grade steps – eg an A reducing to a B+, or a B+ reducing to a B- etc) ;

2. all assessment work submitted more than one week after the due date will be marked, but will not be graded, and will receive only a “Pass” or “Fail” result

Except that for final course assessments the latest date for submission will be the last day of each semester (no longer one week after the end of semester). Consequently no assessment work will be marked if it is submitted after this date, unless the student has previously been granted an extension.

Any questions? Please contact Peter Hart, Dean of Studies

CAREY PRAYER CHAIN

We’re keen to offer faithful, daily prayer for students, lecturers and friends/family – please email your requests to carey.prayer@gmail.com or anonymously in Nigel Irwin’s pigeon hole if you wish. And if you’d like to join the prayer-chain, let me (Nigel) know. James 5:16, Phil 4:6