News

GMIM 21 March 2011

GMIM 21 March 2011

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Damir Trupinic writes...

A few weeks ago I commented on a movie I saw recently, and was asked if that was a foreign language movie. “Yes it was,” I replayed.“Well, than it is not for me”. “I don’t bother reading those funny subtitles and at the same time, following the action on the screen”, said the person next to me. I must say that I heard that complaint before. Actually, I heard it too many times that I can’t simple ignore it. I also know that in the United States, Germany and some other western countries, producers would just synchronise actor’s lips with whatever language and fix this problem for the lazy audience. Practice, that is in my opinion almost a crime against humanity. It’s like making a dish without using spices. What you get is food without soul. Same thing with movies too.

In Hollywood, only few directors dared to introduce a foreign language in American made movies. Perhaps the risk is too high. But it is well worth it, as far as I am concerned. So, if you watch a movie whose story had taken place in 1st century Judea, it’s appropriate to hear not English or German but ancient Aramaic, Latin or Hebrew language; like Mel Gibson did in his movie “Passion of the Christ” or Clint Eastwood with Japanese language in “the Letters from Iwo Jima”. These movies were both commercially successful despite the subtitles.

Language is what makes us unique and interesting, and it is also all about acknowledging other cultures with respect. We, who have English as a second language understand that very well. We are “born” with the ability to watch every foreign movie under the sky because we haven’t been “privileged”to be part of the English speaking world. If we wanted to know more we had to watch English and other non –English movies. Today I think about it as a gift. For me, it opened whole new worlds. There is so much out there in the non English speaking world and if you want to reach people you know nothing about,movies are a perfect medium to find out more. You can’t afford to ignore it.

However, the real reason I am writing this text is actually to promote a foreign language movie which I thought at the time of its purchase it would be excellent addition/source for our ever growing library collection.In order to promote it I wrote a review for it and published it on our library blog.

http://aysoncliffordlibrary.blogspot.com/2009/06/video-dvd.html

Good intention, but probably wrong place. It passed completely unnoticed and apart from my colleague Liz, I doubt that anyone has actually seen it. Having got a second chance I might hit the right target this time. I’m sure more people read GMIM than they read the library blog. So I am not giving up! If I find one more person (remember Liz was first!), my mission will be fulfilled.

John Tucker wrote about meeting a film director from Sri Lanka who found Jesus and decided to stop making movies. As an artist, he probably faced similar dilemma as Andrei Rublev, 15th century monk-painter and the main character in the movie I am talking about.

Andrei also faced questions like: What am I supposed to do? Dedicate my life to God and stay in monastery or not waste my talent and serve Him in my unique way by becoming a painter? He made the right decision, left his monastery and gave us, among other great works, the ever intriguing icon o f the Holy Trinity. A timeless image which does not have equals in the history of religious art.

This movie is for people who like solving puzzles. People like Laurie. It’s like the Book of Revelation in a sense. It is a multi layered picture full of mystery and open questions but in my opinion that’s the best part. At the end, isn’t life itself one big mystery?

21 March 2011 Semester 1

TUESDAY 22nd

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by Sam Schurmann and Tim Hart

Speaker: Andrew Picard

Phillipians 1:12-18

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Brent Morgan: is the Executive Directorof the Leprosy Mission NZ. For the last six years he has worked in the international development sector firstly with World Vision and now with the Leprosy Mission. Brent has held senior corporate roles in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry both in New Zealand and abroad and spent six years living and working in India

WEDNESDAY 23rd

Lenten Prayers

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

All welcome to join in.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Graduation!

Saturday 2 April

Manukau City Baptist @ 4pm

Speaker: Nigel Pollock

Everyone is invited to come along and celebrate with our students who have completed their qualifications. Book it in the diary and come and be a part of the Carey Community on one of our significant events of the year.

LENTEN PRAYERS

This week is the third week of Lent. Come along on Wednesdays at 12.40 at the Chapel as wereflect on Lent. All are welcome!

GRADUATION HELPERS!

We need your help please:

Food servers (6-10)

Car park attendants (2)

If you are willing to assist, please see Shireen

Saturday 2 April from 3pm-6:30pm

(ceremony starts at 4pm)

'UN-CHOIR' PRACTICE

Thanks to all of those people who have volunteered to be part of the 'un-choir' for this weeks chapel service. Just a reminder that we will be having a run through and practice in the chapel at 10:50 before the service starts. You will need to beat this practice to be a part of it. I appreciate your time and service! Sam