News

GMIM 28 February 2011

GMIM 28 February 2011

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Charles Hewlett writes...
Maybe I am a “stuck record” or “stuck in the mud”. Perhaps I do have a “bee in my bonnet” and need to “get off my soap box” and climb down “off my high horse”.

Call me what you like… but I will happily wear the criticism on the chin! My “Orientation Message” for 2011 is exactly the same as it was in 2010. In fact here it is word-for-word (just in case you have forgotten!):

I want to suggest that the purpose of your theological education is not that you just become cleverer than you were before. It is not just about filling your head with knowledge. Now don’t get me wrong – the academic is vital and your lecturers will be rigourous. However, we must never lose sight that our purpose must be the same as that of the Apostle Paul’s…’knowing Jesus Christ my Lord…gaining Christ and being found in him…to know Christ and the power of his resurrection…becoming like him’. This is our orientation. These are our bearings. This is our location. This is why we exist. Jesus Christ is the focus here at Carey!

Can I encourage you to do a little extra homework this week. Firstly, find a quiet spot by yourself, or maybe with a friend, and read through Philippians 3:7-11 – especially note verse 8, “What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him…”. Notice how valuable Jesus is for Paul. He has become convinced that knowing Christ was so great that everything else paled in comparison. In fact he considered everything else rubbish, rejecting and discarding anything that would hinder his knowing Christ.

Secondly, read through the following. Think about ways they might be able to bring focus to your studies this year:

• As a result of my studies this week do I actually know Jesus more?
• Do I treasure Jesus in a greater way?
• Do I comprehend more of who Jesus is and what he is like?
• Is my relationship with Jesus growing stronger?
• Am I becoming more aware of the things that are important to Jesus?
• How am I becoming more like Jesus?
• Am I displaying the fruit of the Spirit more?
• Am I experiencing the resurrecting power of Jesus more and more in my life?
• Am I becoming more fervent about sharing Jesus with others?
• Do I have a growing desire to see people and communities transformed by Jesus?
• Is the idea of sharing in the sufferings of Jesus just a little less scary than before?

Thirdly, spend some time praying. Ask the Holy Spirit to continue working in your life that you might consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus our Lord.

And don’t forget the old English proverb, “Repetition is the mother of learning”. Have a great week.
Charles

TUESDAY 29th

Community Worship 11:15am - 12noon
"Summer Stories"

After Dinner Mints @ lunch
Pona Solomona is a prison Chaplain and has seen the urgent need for intensive religious intervention with prisoners. Pona worked with Prison Fellowship with the establishment of the first Faith Based Unit now operating at Rimutaka Prison.

WEDNESDAY 30th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel
12:40-1:00pm
Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

WELCOME TO SEMESTER ONE!

Whatever your situation, we’re so glad to have you join the Carey community in 2011. Our prayer is that this year will be a rewarding one for you wherever you’re based. If you’re a distance student, you are very welcome to join us on site for a class or worship and lunch—we’d love to see you here.

Thank you to those who joined us at Carey on Friday night for the Orientation Dinner. It was a wonderful start to the year!

ACCESS TO BUILDINGS

Dining Room/Chapel (card access only)
8:30am-9:30pm Monday - Thursday
8:30am-5:00pm Friday

Lecture/Admin building
Main entrance
8:30am-5pm is open access Mon—Fri.
No student access after 5pm so all evening class access is via the back entrance.

Back entrance
8:30am-9:30pm Monday-Thursday
8:30am-5:00pm Friday

Library Hours
Mon-Thur 8.30 - 5pm. 5.00 - 6.30pm (card access only)
Friday 9 - 5pm
Sat 10 - 2.30pm (card access only)

FEES AND ACCESS CARDS

Fees for distance and onsite students are now due! Please ensure that these are paid as soon as possible.
The access card has your photo on it and is multi-purpose acting as your access, ID and library card. Please note: your fees need to be paid in full and we need your photo before you will receive this card. Allow one week after payment of fees.

Any problems with your access card or if you lose it, please see Chris Lucas, situated off reception.

SECURITY

Please keep an eye on your valuables when onsite. Shared lockers are available in the library, where you can store laptops and bags during the day for a cost of $10/year. Keys/sign-up available at reception. Please avoid leaving valuables in your vehicles.

@THE LIBRARY

Welcome to the Library for 2011! In the unbiased opinion of the library staff the library is the most exciting place on campus.

Library training sessions will start on Monday 7 March at 1.00 - 1.30pm. New Students are encouraged to attend

PLEASE HELP US OUT!

As a non-residential college, we need your help to keep Carey clean and tidy. Over the next week or so, light duties will be assigned to students. There is a sign-up board in the dining room this week where you can put your name to a duty of your choice. Please do enjoy the site but we would simply ask that you keep tidy the area that you are using, clean up the kitchen after you’ve used it. Thanks!

CRECHE

On Tuesday mornings during teaching weeks and while Formation activities are underway, crèche is offered to those with children aged 1-5 years. The cost is $5 per family. Please provide food for your children (in named containers) plus water bottles and send a spare set of named clothes in case they get wet or dirty. Please note that crèche is a ‘nut-free’ space, so please do not send food containing nuts.
9:15am - 12:45pm; recreation room.

LEVEL ONE

Access to the offices of John Tucker and Karen Schilperoort and to the Level One lecture room, is via the back stairs at the end of the admin corridor. The main stairwell off reception is for access to the Baptist Resource Centre and tranzsend only. If for any reason, you need to meet with any of these staff, please check with reception first.

ACADEMICS

Course changes: these can take place for the first two weeks of classes and a $50 change of enrolment applies – this does not apply if changing course levels.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Community Sports
Tuesday 15 March 9:30am-1:00pm
A morning of sports and games and just hanging out getting to know others! Rounded off with lunch together.

Graduation
Saturday 2 April
Manukau City Baptist @ 4pm
Speaker: Nigel Pollock

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.