News

GMIM 18 October 2010

GMIM 18 October 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Frances Leung writes...

Frances Leung writes…

Good morning! This is the second to last week of the lecture weeks. For most of the current students, I believe this is one of the busiest times of your year when the last few assignments are due to be completed. Before a time of excitement at looking at how much you have achieved this year, some of you may still be going through a very tough time due to the difficult assignments, the limited time pressure, the running out of energy and concentration, and the uncertainty of next year. No matter which state you are at, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

I had a significant life experience last month.

I am a person who cares a lot about how people look at me and what they expect of me.Expectations are pressures at times especially from my loved ones like my parents, and they usually cannot be fulfilled immediately but keep being mentioned again and again. One day, I had a lot of expectations from various sources. It was especially tough because I felt that I was misunderstood and condemned, but was given very little opportunity to prove myself and my willingness and ability to improve. After half a day of struggling I fell into a very negative self-image mentality. In the midst of self abandoning, I suddenly gained strength to turn 180 degrees. I saw another way out. I realised that there may always be a gap between the one who expects and the one who is being expected, because we are different persons with different personalities and with different strengths, weaknesses and limitations. Then, with complete calmness I thought to myself, ‘no matter how people perceive me, I will keep going, as long as I ensure that I try my best to improve. It was a life changing experience to me. In fact, it was a miracle, because later on I found out that someone was actually praying for me, at the time when I was struggling, and wondering how prayer works.

So, dear students, I sincerely think of you in my prayers these days, trusting God that He is the one who will give you strength and hope -because He is faithful!

TUESDAY 19th

Community Worship 11:15am - 12noon

Facilitated by Gary Mauga and Gareth Wood

Tim Bulkeley

Matthew 22:21

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Nettie Holm: A secondary school maths teacher by background, Nettie is the national co-ordinator of Community Ministries for the Baptist Churches of NZ, is the pastor of Oxford Street Community Church in Hamilton and also heads up Te Whanau Putahi (Family Centre) which reaches out to the community of Fairfield.

WEDNESDAY 20th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel      

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

DUTIES

For those with duties assigned, this week is Week 10…an even week!

Coffee and Brownie - Monday 18th October
Come along to the dining room during the morning lecture break and enjoy brownie (and lemon slice) on the Student Association and coffee at just $2 a cup!

Carey Breakfast - Wednesday 27th October
Next week is the final teaching week of the semester; so what better chance to finish the Carey year with a pancake-shaped bang!  The Student Association are putting on breakfast for students, staff, family and anyone else who is hungry.   
Costume theme - favourite biblical story!  Unleash your creativity...
Cost - free for Student Association members and a gold coin donation for anyone else

Student Association Reps
The new Student Association team for 2011 will be revealed next week during Tuesday lunch and the Wednesday breakfast.  Thank you to everyone who has been part of the team this year.

MONDAY LUNCHTIME: get fit for summer!

“There’s no free lunch on Mondays, so it’s the perfect time for a gentle training run round the neighbourhood. A 5km circuit at a moderate pace should take about 30 minutes for old people like me, a lot less for fit young students (or staff)!

If you’re keen, turn up with your runners outside the dining room on Monday at 12.45pm.”

George Wieland           

OPEN TUESDAY

There is one further Open Tuesday for 2010. If you are aware of anyone that may be interested in study in 2011 in any of the programmes, please encourage them to come to this. Neroli has full details of the day and she will take registrations. registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776.

19 October; 8:45am-3pm

“the sENDing 2010”

Join the Carey community as we...celebrate the year, commission pastoral leadership students,

reflect on the highlights of their training, recognise special achievements,

award some prizes, express appreciation and receive inspiration...for the road ahead.

Thursday 28 October; 7:00-8:30pm

Carey Baptist College

Speaker: Merrilyn Withers, National Team Leader, Baptist Youth Ministries