News

GMIM 11 October 2010

GMIM 11 October 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Graeme Smith writes...

I can hear music…..

I once read somewhere that riding a bike was like playing in an orchestra. Total concentration and total relaxation at the same time. I am also a fan of Stephen Covey, the author of the business book Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  He makes a statement in this books that you should “Begin with the end in mind”. 

I had an experience last weekend as I rode my Harley to Taupo that tested both these statements.

I was cruising down state highway 1 in the sunshine, not much traffic and totally relaxed. I was planning to turn off highway 1 at Ohinewai and take the road over to highway 27 via Tahuna. This is a great road on a bike, nice twists and turns that are not too challenging, but loads of fun. I had left home with this in mind but forgot the bit about total concentration.

I came up the off ramp from the Waikato expressway, thinking about the road ahead and failed to see the stop sign at the intersection at the top of the hill. The result was lots of rubber smoke from two bike tyres and a big black skid mark that started on one side of the intersection and stopped on the other. There was no other vehicle in sight.  If there had been, then I’m sure there would have been a very different outcome. This was the biggest scare I have had on my bike in the 10 years I have been riding it.

I still had 2 hours to sit on my bike and ponder what had happened.  I had begun with the end in mind; I was totally relaxed and comfortable with my progress towards my planned destination. What I failed to do was to see the warning signs along the way. What made this even worse was that it was not an unexpected warning sign; I knew it was there. 

I then put this into context, as you do when sitting on a bike with no one to talk to. How often in our life journey do we workout where we want to go and even plan out how we are going to get there and then don’t see the warning signals, only to find that they jump out at us when we lest expect it.

This is a challenge for me as I come into a busy time of year at Carey, from an administration perspective. I need to ensure that I begin with the end in mind, I continue to be relaxed in the role, but that I can keep focused and aware of any potential warning signs that will hinder the achievement of my goals.

Carey is a great orchestra and I want to be part of the music. 

TUESDAY 12th

Community Worship 11:15am - 12noon

Facilitated by Rob Hallows and Abdu Busari

David Moko

Kaihautu, Baptist Maori Ministries

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Andrew Thorburn: With extensive experience in the banking industry in New Zealand and Australia, Andrew is currently the Managing Director and CEO of the Bank of New Zealand. Andrew is also a member of the Auckland Bible Church.

WEDNESDAY 13th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel      

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

DUTIES

For those with duties assigned, this week is Week 10…an even week!

MONDAY LUNCHTIME: get fit for summer!

“There’s no free lunch on Mondays, so it’s the perfect time for a gentle training run round the neighbourhood. A 5km circuit at a moderate pace should take about 30 minutes for old people like me, a lot less for fit young students (or staff)!

If you’re keen, turn up with your runners outside the dining room on Monday at 12.45pm.”

George Wieland           

Book sale is still on in the library.

All stock must go.

$0.50 Paperback

$1.00 Hardback

OPEN TUESDAY

There is one further Open Tuesday for 2010. If you are aware of anyone that may be interested in study in 2011 in any of the programmes, please encourage them to come to this. Neroli has full details of the day and she will take registrations. registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776.

19 October; 8:45am-3pm

“the sENDing 2010”

Join the Carey community as we...celebrate the year, commission pastoral leadership students,

reflect on the highlights of their training, recognise special achievements, award some prizes, express appreciation, and receive inspiration...for the road ahead.

Thursday 28 October; 7:00-8:30pm

Carey Baptist College

Speaker: Merrilyn Withers, National Team Leader, Baptist Youth Ministries      

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES

An opportunity to spend time with other Baptist women of the region to listen and learn from others, and learn about the prayer needs of women from around the world.

Saturday 30 October

Lunch 12-12:30pm@ Windsor Park Baptist Church

Dinner 6:30-9:00pm @ Remuera Baptist Church

Saturday 13 November

Breakfast 8:00-10:30am@ Manurewa Baptist Church

Dinner 6:30-9:00pm@ Mt Albert Baptist Church

Cost $15.00

Email leejohnb@xtra.co.nz or abmccarthy@xtra.co.nz or phone 09 278 1716 to register

“Who made God? And other tricky questions” by Brian Smith

A Theology for Children with help for Mum and Dad!

This book written by the Principal Emeritus of Carey, Brian Smith, is available for sale at reception at a cost of $30 each.