News

GMIM - 22 March 2010

GMIM - 22 March 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Neroli Hollis writes...

The other night I attended Carey’s Celebrating Academic Excellence evening. It was a great occasion – all those academic brains strutting their stuff (humbly as is the Carey way) and all those books by people I actually know, on display. Working here at Carey I know that this is so good for our place.

Now as they waxed lyrical about their various books/ideas/subjects my mind did wander a bit. I thought how exciting it is for them to write books, to have ideas, to discover, to refine, to think...But I probably won’t put a theological book together or even be a lecturer and I’m happy with that. BUT I too can be just as passionate, just as interested and just as much a follower of God as they are because I can do some things well – even excellently but just not quite in Myk Habets’ areas or Laurie’s or George’s or……….

Currently on TV there is a show searching for NZ’s Top Home Baker. I watch it and on numerous occasions since it has been on, people have commented to me that I should be on it! However I can’t stand the idea of performing on TV nor do I think that my baking would be at its best given time constraints, hot studio kitchens, people all around me etc. But I quite like the idea of being the best home baker, so although I will never do the TV show I will strive to be a good home baker. Why? Because I enjoy it, it interests me and it is very satisfying to make something and to then have others enjoy the baking of my labour!

It can be easy at Carey and on such occasions to feel like I don’t have anything to offer and that I am small in the big plans of God but as my wandering mind found last Wednesday night I can be excellent – in my little ways and uniquely who I am. So be encouraged to strive, to achieve, to even produce books or to bake a scone or two (recipe attached to help you on your way!).

Scone Recipe

Turn oven on to 200C and put oven tray in it.

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon of butter

Rub the butter into the flour

Add a pinch of salt

Add 1 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar and 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda

Add whatever flavour you want to make the scones eg dates (1/2 cup of chopped dates (dates are nice if they are chopped then soaked in some orange juice beforehand, or 1 cup grated cheese….etc)

Mix with enough milk to make it moist and stuck together but not too moist.

Roll out onto floured bench with your hands and form it into a long sausage – then cut it into scones depending on the size you want – this recipe will make about 4 large ones (country scones!!)

Take tray out of hot oven and sprinkle with flour.

Put scones on the tray and bake for 12 – 15 minutes. Enjoy!!

TUESDAY 23rd

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Facilitated by Rob Stacey and Chris Bradley

Speaker: John Tucker

Matthew 7:3

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Susan Osborne: For over 30 years, Susan and her husband John have been involved in cross cultural work in South Asia with tranzsend. Last year during time back in NZ, Susan was a visiting lecturer at Carey teaching World Mission and she is back again to focus on her Masters degree.

WEDNESDAY 24th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome to join in.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Graduation!

Saturday 27 March

Manukau City Baptist @ 4pm

Speaker: Charles Hewlett

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

Easter Camps!

1-5 March

Mystery Creek and Canterbury

GRADUATION HELPERS!

We need your help please:

Ushers (4)

Food servers (6-10)

Projectionist (1)

Car park attendants (2)

If you are willing to assist, please see Rachel or Neroli.

Saturday 27 March from 3:30pm-6:30pm (ceremony starts at 4pm)

SICK BAY

Please note that the sick bay located between the two showers by the recreation room, is just that – a sick bay. Please do not use this room for storing personal belongings, especially bikes. There is a bike rack outside the end of the main administration building. Simply ensure that you have a chain/lock to secure it. With thanks.

CALLING ALL BARISTAS!!

If you have barista experience and are keen to give a small amount of time each week (in the break in classes on either Monday or Wednesday) to serve your community at Carey please get in contact with Graeme Todd on 0210424280 or graeme@ctuh.co.nz

SECOND HAND BOOK SALE

Derek Christensen teaches as an adjunct lecturer at Carey in the areas of World Religions, Tentmaking and Marketplace Christianity. He is about to cull his personal library quite significantly and is offering Carey students the first run at buying these books.

From Monday 29– Wednesday 31 March, these books will be available to buy at reasonable prices.

In the chapel foyer area. Cash and cheques only.

FREE COFFEE AND BROWNIE!

Come to the dining room on Wednesday 24th March during the morning lecture break or at 11am for free coffee and brownie provided by the Student Association.

PEER SUPPORT

If you are a first year student and would like some mentoring or study support from a second or third (or forth or fifth!) year student, please talk to Melanie Carroll from the Student Association. Put a note in her pigeon hole with your contact details or email her on melanie_carroll@xtra.co.nz

She will set you up with someone to chat with one on one or in small groups about assignments, essays, the library and anything else you need help with! If you have been at Carey for a while and would like to help out new students, please talk to her too.

LIZ TISDALL NEEDS YOUR HELP!!

Wanted, house/ dog/ cat sitter, in Onehunga from 6 June—7 July 2010. If you are interested in sharing a 2 bedroom cottage for a month with an 11 year old Labrador dog and a 3 year old cat, please contact Liz: phone (09) 526-6596 (work),(09) 622-0472 (home), or library@carey.ac.nz

EASTER CAMPS

Over Easter, Carey will have a presence at both the Mystery Creek and Canterbury camps, each of which has close to 4000 people attend.

Laurie Guy will be doing two seminars at the Canterbury one (Homosexuality and Revelation)

At Mystery Creek, Brian Krum, George Wieland and Tim Bulkeley are facilitating seminars along with graduates, Paul and Sarah Beisly and Miriam Bier.

If you are either camp, come and say hi!

EASTER BREAK

Please note that on Tuesday 6 April (immediately following Easter) Carey, including the Library will be closed.

Everything will re-open as usual at 8:30am on Wednesday 7th April morning.

@ the LIBRARY

1) Please note: Due to the Graduation ceremony, the library will be closed at 1.30pm on Saturday 27 March 2010.

2) Students can still use the library resources if you don’t have your Carey ID card.