News

GMIM- 15 March 2010

GMIM- 15 March 2010

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Laura Giddey writes...

This year will be my 5th year at Carey.

And although I’m reaching the end of my time at Carey, I’m certainly not reaching the end of all the learning there is to be done. The longer I’ve been here the more some words and concepts start to make sense but also the more I’m made aware of how much I don’t know! So I encourage you to make the most of your time at Carey – however long that might be for you. Work hard but also enjoy getting to know each other as you study.

But there is one though that has been a consistent lesson I’ve learnt each year at Carey and beyond and I’d like to share it. It is in line with what Charles shared in the first GMIM for 2010 – your personal relationship with Jesus. It is crucial that we remember our first love and delight in the joy of knowing Jesus Christ.

This lesson came to me again through my recent summer placement. I found I had to be very intentional about maintaining my relationship with God daily, especially when I felt like I was ‘losing’ my Sunday worship time in leading the service. And if I’m not careful, I know that I could do the same thing with study. I could get distracted and overwhelmed by theology and biblical research and all the things that need to be done, that my relationship with God could take a back seat. The study seeks to point to God but I could easily drown myself in deadlines and assignments. I could forget that I have been given such abundant grace and how else could I live, but to share this with others in the way I’ve been called.

So please, this year and always, seek God with all you have and give Him the place He deserves in your life. Enjoy learning but enjoy God more!

TUESDAY 16th

9:30am-1:00pm

A morning of sports and games and just hanging out getting to know others! Rounded off with lunch together at 12 noon.

Meet at 9:30am in the Dining Room for morning tea together and then it’ll be into a couple of hours of different sports activities in teams together. Volleyball, indoor bowls, table tennis...etc. You don’t need to be sporty, just come and have some fun!

NB: This takes the place of the usual formation groups and Community Worship. Crèche will still take place.

WEDNESDAY 17th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome to join in.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Graduation!

Saturday 27 March

Manukau City Baptist @ 4pm

Speaker: Charles Hewlett

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

SURVIVING CAREY STUDY

Often people feel disoriented when they start study, especially if they haven't done study at tertiary level before. To help you with the process, Russell Thorp will run one further one-hour session to help you study successfully.

Learn what is required to write essays and answer questions at Carey.

Tuesday 16th March @ 1:15pm-2:15pm in the chapel.

LAIDLAW-CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL (LCGS)

Throughout 2010, Tim Meadowcroft (Dean of LCGS) will be onsite every 2nd Wednesday (next one is 17 March) from 10:30am-2:30pm and located in the upstairs study room in the library. If you would like to see him either pop by or email on TMeadowcroft@laidlaw.ac.nz

He is happy to talk with anyone interested in pursuing postgraduate study.

GRADUATION HELPERS!

We need your help please:

Ushers (4)

Food servers (6-10)

Projectionist (1)

Car park attendants (2)

If you are willing to assist, please see Rachel or Neroli.

Saturday 27 March from 3:30pm-6:30pm (ceremony starts at 4pm).

A NOTE TO PARENTS...

Should you use a highchair during a Tuesday or Wednesday lunch, please do ensure that it is cleaned and put away again when you are done. Also please ensure that any food that has fallen on the carpet during lunch is picked up and disposed of. Thanks!

CELL PHONES

Please ensure that all cell phones are switched off or are set to silent while you are in classes.

Thanks for your co-operation.

FEES

Please note that the notice posted on careyonline last week was a general notice about fees. If you have paid for Semester One and have your ID card then you are all sorted and don’t have to worry further. However if you are at all unsure, please contact Neroli (registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776) to check.