News

GMIM - 27 October 2009

GMIM - 27 October 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Graeme Smith writes...

A reflection of a month in India...

Organisations Visited

South Asia Institute of Advanced Christian Studies (SAIACS) Bangalore. A theological institution teaching Masters and Doctoral studies

Indian Mission Association (IMA) Hyderabad. An organisation comprising of 240 mission agencies representing 50,000+ cross-cultural missionaries working in India.

The Association For Theological Education by Extension. (TAFTEE) Bangalore. A distance-training organisation that has over 12,000 students located all over India.

Why I went

I was asked to review the structures and business processes of SAIACS and offer any assistance that they would find beneficial from a business perspective. While I was there I was asked to spend time with TAFEE staff and also to go up to Hyderabad to meet with the staff & some board members from the IMA.

What I did

Nothing out of the ordinary. I spent the first week or two talking and listening to staff and faculty getting an understanding of SAIACS. At the end of my time there I delivered a full report of my findings. I spent a week in Hyderabad with the General Secretary of IMA sitting in with their restructuring committee. I spent some time with the Executive Director of TAFTEE trying to understand the organisation and advise on some of the HR issues they have been experiencing.

What I learnt

Heaps about the history & purpose of these organisations and their staff, but more importantly it has certainly changed my view on missions to India. At Baptist Assembly last year, George Wieland talked about the Arthington Mission, an organisation that sent missionaries from Wales to North India in 1890s. I met one of the senior IMA staff who was from a church in Mizoram North India—his church had been established by the Arthington Mission. As much as I thought it was remarkable to see a person from the Mizoram church in such a strategic position, I was astounded when he told me that the church in Wales had recently called two members of his church to be pastors of the church back in Wales. India is now sending missionaries to the UK. I was involved in a conversation with a SAIACS post-grad student together with a pastor from NZ. The student was astonished that the pastor was only responsible for one church and had never planted a church during his time in ministry. The student said he was responsible for four village churches that he had planted and as one church became established he would hand over responsibility, then move to a nearby village in the area and plant another church. He had been doing this for several years. Theologically trained Indians reaching Indians with the gospel. I am still processing all this in terms of my own missional worldview and New Zealander’s working with the poor of India. I’m currently in the place of seeing it as a case of “both and …..”

But the processing isn’t finished yet.

TUESDAY 27th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Final Communion facilitated by the final year Pastoral Leadership students

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Chris Bullen: Chris is the Director of the Clinical Trials Research Unit in Auckland. He is involved in a range of public health groups and has interests in the interface between primary care and public health. Until recently Chris was the medical advisor for tranzsend and serves as an elder at Royal Oak Baptist.

WEDNESDAY 21st

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

END OF YEAR!!!

Enjoy the summer break whether holiday, work or placement. If you’re completing your qualification, congratulations! If you're returning we look forward to having you back with us in March 2010.

CAREY LIBRARY

From Monday 2 November - Wednesday 4 November, the library hours will be extended until 8:00pm.

Library books: You must return all library books once you have completed your assignments.

IF….

”If I forget that the way of the cross leads to the cross and not to a bank of flowers; if I regulate my life on these lines so that I am surprised when the way is rough and think that this is strange, then I know nothing of Calvary love.”

Amy Carmichael (1867-1951) 53 years in South India without home leave.

FROM JONATHAN ROBINSON…FIELD EDUCATION AND INTERNSHIPS FOR 2010

“If you are intending to take Field Education or Internship courses with me next year (not PLs or Youth Pastors!) than there are some things you need to be aware of.

* From next year Field Education 1, 2 and 3 (Ministry & Praxis is now Field Education 3), will only be available as semester-long courses, but will be available in both semesters.

* From next year the Internship option will only be available as a full year course starting at the beginning of the year, with no second semester intake.

* From next year enrolment in Field Education 2 and 3, or any level Internship will require my approval prior to enrolment.This means that if you intend to take Field Education or Internship in Semester One next year, you will need to discuss it with me before the end of this year.

Any comments or queries get in touch!jonathan.robinson@carey.ac.nz or phone: 09 526 7530”

GRADUATION 2010

Saturday 27 March; 4:00pm

Manukau City Baptist Church

Just a reminder...if you think you will have completed all the requirements of your qualification at the end of this semester, please complete a blue ‘Application to Graduate’ form currently at reception or download from careyonline.

This will need to be completed whether you plan to attend the ceremony or not.

‘the sENDing 2009’

Thursday 29 October; 7pm @Carey

A time to farewell and commission the final year Pastoral Leadership students who have completed the requirements of the Diploma in Pastoral Leadership and will be moving on to different roles in 2009. Plan to come and celebrate with these students and their friends and families.

COURSE EVALUATIONS

We are required to get feedback on each course offered at Carey. Please could all students (distance and onsite) complete and return the evaluation forms for each paper. These forms are found in the front of your course books.

Onsite students there is a box at reception.

Distance students, please post this back to The Registrar, Carey Baptist College, PO Box 12149, Auckland 1642.

2010 COURSE OPTIONS & ENROLMENT

Timetable 2010

This finalised timetable is out at reception—if you have a previous version please destroy it as there have been some changes.

Enrolment forms

Continuing student enrolment forms are also available from reception of downloaded from the Carey website and can be completed at any stage from now on.

Be encouraged to complete these early. NB: you are able to change course enrolments at any stage up until classes begin on 1 March without penalty.

Returning student enrolment closes

Tuesday 15 December

Late enrolments will be accepted but with penalty.

CONSIDERING POSTGRADUATE STUDY IN 2010?

Friday 30 October 1:00-1:30pm

Lunch from 12:30-1:00pm—joining with others onsite for a postgraduate seminar.

For all those interested in studying at postgraduate level with Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School next year (MTh’s and PhD’s), Tim Bulkeley and Anne Aalbers will be on hand, with a few current postgraduate students to answer your questions.

Please RSVP your interest in a) lunch and/or b) the information session to Tim Bulkeley by Wednesday 28 October tim.bulkeley@carey.ac.nz

CALLING ALL AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN!

“Seeing God’s creation with new eyes”

The Auckland Baptist Women’s Ministries invites you to join in “A Day of Prayer” and to pray for the needs of women in New Zealand and around the world.

Saturday 7 November—register by 2 November

Windsor Park Baptist Church

12 noon2:30pm over lunch

Saturday 14 November—register by 9 November

Manurewa Baptist Church

8:00-10:00am (over breakfast)

Saturday 14 November—register by 9 November

Blockhouse Bay Baptist Church

6:30-9:00pm (over dinner)

To register with payment:

Lee Bell, Unit 3, 122 Carruth Rd, Papatoetoe, Auckland 2025

THANK YOU!!

There are a number of people that work behind the scenes around Carey, who assist in making things run smoothly. Particular thanks go to :

Cynthia Jeyachandran—for feeding us twice a week during teaching time

Brian Hooker—for overseeing the property maintenance and ensuring the gardens stay tidy

Sue Zhang—for keeping on top of the dining room kitchen

Cassie Parker and Sue Zhang— for looking after the little people each Tuesday morning in crèche during teaching weeks.

We appreciate their willingness to be part of Carey and to be involved.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Sandy Gallen from Voice of the Martyrs will be on-site. Take the opportunity to interact and find out more about the organisation.