News

GMIM - 19 October 2009

GMIM - 19 October 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
Brian Krum writes...

“I Have Decided for Myself to Follow Jesus (and God)”

Two weeks ago today my 8 year old daughter called Denise and me to her room with a question. “What does it mean to follow Jesus?” my daughter asked. Instead of answering a straight-forward question with a straight-forward answer, I said “What do you think it means Sydnee?” (as any good Carey lecturer would do).

“I think it means that I will live to make Jesus & God (she always says Jesus and God) happy, and do what ever it is that they ask me to do.” I said, “That sounds like a good answer to me. Why do you ask?” “I have decided for myself to follow Jesus and God.” I smile calmly to her, but inside my heart is racing. This is it! My daughter is going to give her life to Jesus! But how will I know it is a real decision? “Whoa! What was behind that?” I thought to myself.

So I asked Sydnee “Why do you want to decide to follow Jesus?” “Three reasons,” she immediately answered. “One, I want to be like my family, and all of my family follow Jesus and God. Two, I want to make Jesus and God happy. And three, I think this is what Jesus and God want me to do.” I let out a deep sigh of relief. “Yes,” I think to myself. “Something systematic that meets the criteria I need to know to prove this is a genuine decision. “ (Which thinking back, I should have already know, since there was no emotional music playing by the worship band to help her in her decision in the first place smile

“Ok,” I said. Why don’t you tell Jesus.” And God?” Sydnee asked. “Yes, and God” I said with a smile…and she did.

Now my understanding of the Bible tells me that there was a huge celebration when Sydnee made that decision. But why was I initially hesitant to celebrate too? Why did I need more proof of the quality of her decision? Was I looking for an altar call? Was I a bit lost because there was no tract involved? No sinner’s prayer? Why have I made a decision to follow Jesus so difficult?

You would think that someone who teaches the Gospel of John course would be ready for something like this. Jesus simply asks people to believe all through the Fourth Gospel. But I wanted more – a theological treatise, a sobbing confessional, a long walk up the aisle to the front stage (I mean altar) of the church.

Perhaps I have added too much what it means to confess faith in Jesus. Perhaps we have added too much to the process of salvation. Too many hoops to jump through. Sydnee understands that to believe in Jesus means we love Jesus and God (we’ll work on the Spirit later), help people and love everyone else in our church. Those are her words, not mine.

Perhaps they need to be my words too.

TUESDAY 20th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now

John 3:16-17 – Brian Krum

Facilitated by the Intermission students

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Walter Lang: Walter is a retired Baptist minister. He began in Scotland in 1954 before coming to NZ to minister at Hanover St Baptist (now Dunedin City) in 1965. Pastorates followed at Hillsborough and Hamilton Central. Walter has also been active in mentoring a number of Pastoral Leadership students.

WEDNESDAY 21st

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Elizabeth Little from Teen Mission International will be on-site. Take the opportunity to interact with her and find out more about the organisation.

END OF SEMESTER BREAKFAST

The Student Association at Carey is putting on a breakfast for the community! This will be free for Student Association members and a gold coin donation for all other students, staff, family and friends who come along!

Tuesday 27 of October; Dining Room!

Please sign up at lunch this week or next week so we can have an idea of numbers attending. Be excited; the breakfast will be amazingly delicious!

OPEN TUESDAY THIS WEEK

Tuesday this week (20th) is an Open Day for people interested in 2010 study. Please make these people feel welcome if you interact with them in class or over lunch.

FOR SALE

New MiniDisplay Port to VGA Adaptor for a newer model Mac laptop. Cost $55

Please see Rachel Murray.

EVAULATION FORMS

These need to be completed and returned to Neroli by the end of the semester for each of your courses. They can be found in the front of your course books. Onsite students there is a box at reception for these. Distance students please post these in. Thank you!

FROM JONATHAN ROBINSON…

FIELD EDUCATION AND INTERNSHIPS FOR 2010

“If you are intending to take Field Education or Internship courses with me next year (not PLs or Youth Pastors!) than there are some things you need to be aware of.

* From next year Field Education 1, 2 and 3 (Ministry & Praxis is now Field Education 3), will only be available as semester-long courses, but will be available in both semesters.

* From next year the Internship option will only be available as a full year course starting at the beginning of the year, with no second semester intake.

* From next year enrolment in Field Education 2 and 3, or any level Internship will require my approval prior to enrolment.This means that if you intend to take Field Education or Internship in Semester One next year, you will need to discuss it with me before the end of this year.

Any comments or queries get in touch!”

jonathan.robinson@carey.ac.nz or phone: 09 526 7530

LABOUR DAY

Next Monday (26 October) is a public holiday. College will be closed - including the library - back to normal on Tuesday.

The Library will be open as normal on the Saturday ( 24th October) from 10am-2:30pm

COURSE PLANNING 2010

Returning students: As you start to think about the courses you want or need to do next year, do make use of the Dean to discuss your options. This is particularly important to ensure that you are fulfilling requirements for specific qualifications.

Contact Russell for an appointment on russell.thorp@carey.ac.nz or

ph 09 526 6595 (ph 0800 773 776).

CONSIDERING POSTGRADUATE STUDY IN 2010?

Friday 30 October 1:00-1:30pm

Lunch from 12:30-1:00pm—joining with others onsite for a postgraduate seminar.

For all those interested in studying at postgraduate level with Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School next year (MTh and PhD), Tim Bulkeley and Anne Aalbers will be on hand, with a few current postgraduate students to answer your questions.

Please RSVP your interest in a) lunch and/or b) the information session to Tim Bulkeley by Wednesday 28 October tim.bulkeley@carey.ac.nz

IF….

”If I covet any place on earth but the dust at the foot of the cross, then I know nothing of Calvary love.”

Amy Carmichael (1867-1951) 53 years in South India without home leave.

RED LETTER COMMUNITIES

20-21 November (Friday7pm—Saturday 5pm)

Carey Baptist College

Hosted by Mick Duncan and the Alongsiders Trust

Featuring:

Lindy Croucher: part of Urban Neighbours of Hope missional community and Rainbow Church, which invites people from any and every background to join them in life together.

Ants and Sandy Watt: Part of a group of people that have intentionally moved into a neighbourhood and are sharing Christ in their actions and words.

Brian and Denise Krum: partnering with the local community through Tableside, a charitable trust and faith community.

Craig Greenfield: Founder of Servants Vancouver—living and working in the poorest neighbourhood of Canada.

Daryl and Sue Gardiner: For three years they opened their home to the neighbourhood each week for curry. Hear their story.

For more information and to register email mick@michaelduncan.org

EXTENDED LIBRARY HOURS

From Monday 2 November - Wednesday 4 November, the library hours will be extended until 8:00pm.