News

GMIM - 12 October 2009

GMIM - 12 October 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Charles Hewlett writes...

It’s very hard to watch the news at the moment. There seems to be so many bad things happening in our world. In the last few weeks thousands of people have lost their lives in the Philippines floods, the Sumatra earthquake, and the Pacific tsunami. We have heard how this has even impacted the Carey community through Gary Mauga.

I have been impacted by the news of the disappearance of two year old Aisling Symes in West Auckland. It is one week today since she went missing. I find it hard to imagine what the parents must be going through. As we start the week can I ask you to take 5 minutes to find a quiet place, or get together with a small group of people, and pray for Aisling and her family. I have written the prayer below – perhaps you might like to use this.

How long, O Lord? For seven long days and seven long nights she has been missing. How long, O Lord?

Will you forget them forever? Can you forget a child, a little girl, vulnerable, innocent, loved? Can you forget parents in pain, in torment, in sorrow? How much longer, O Lord?

How long will you hide your face from them? How long must they wrestle with their thoughts, and every day have sorrow in their hearts? They are waiting. Waiting for answers. Dread grows; hope diminishes.

Look upon them, look upon us, and answer, O Lord my God.

For only you have all answers. Only you know all truth.

Give sleep where there is sleeplessness, comfort where there is sorrow, strength where there is weakness, wisdom where there is confusion, help where there is helplessness, courage where there is fear, but most of all, please give answers, resolution, and rest.

Do not let the enemy triumph, do not let harm come to this child.

Do not let the parents have to wait any longer.

We trust in your unfailing love - your unfailing love for a little girl and her parents, and their family, and their community. Please help them.

You are a good God, and you have been good to us.

Hear our prayer. Hear our cry.

The Psalmist writes, “The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18) He wrote, “The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.” (Psalm 145:18) God said through the prophet Jeremiah, “I am only a God nearby, and not a God far away.” (Jeremiah 23:23)

Thanks for praying with me. May God bless you this week.

TUESDAY 13th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Carey Dialogues: “The place of denominations”

A panel discussion with Laurie Guy, Jonathan Robinson and Kelvyn Fairhall

Facilitated by Nani de Ocampo and Sam Hennessey

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Kelly Eason: For six years, Kelly has lived and worked in Afghanistan, serving with Interserve, firstly in Kabul and then in the very isolated town of Lal. Her nursing background has allowed her to connect significantly with the local people and most recently she has been the manager of a community health project.

WEDNESDAY 14th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES

This week Ian and Jo Bissett from International Nepal Fellowship will be on-site. Take the opportunity to interact with them and find out more.

Material in the agency boxes may have recently been updated. Highlighting just one NZCMS has added material. Also visit their website www.nzcms.org.nz

END OF SEMESTER BREAKFAST

The Student Association at Carey is putting on a breakfast for the community! This will be free for Student Association members and a gold coin donation for all other students, staff, family and friends who come along!

Tuesday 27 of October; Dining Room!

Please sign up at lunch this week or next week so we can have an idea of numbers attending. Be excited; the breakfast will be amazingly delicious!

DON’T FORGET MOVIE NIGHT

Relive the 80s! see the new remade version of the classic ‘Fame’ movie.

22 October at 8pm

Hoyts Sylvia Park; Cost $20

Come dressed in your favourite 80s clothing for a chance to win a spot prize. See Andrew or Roanna Baldwin about tickets.

PACIFIC TSUNAMI RELIEF

Banzaid and the Baptist Union are standing with our Samoan congregations in this appeal seeking food, clothing, blankets, kitchen items and all other household goods. Collection points have been designated from where containers will be arranged. See college reception or contact the Union on 09 5260333 for collection points.

Donations of Money

These can be deposited directly into the BU account 020 232 0146287 00 clearly marked Samoa appeal.

IF….

”If the ultimate, the hardest, cannot be asked of me; if others hesitate to ask it and turn to someone else, then I know nothing of Calvary love.”

Amy Carmichael (1867-1951) 53 years in South India without home leave.