News

GMIM 24 August 2009

GMIM 24 August 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Frances Leung writes...

Hi there!

This is the 6th week of the semester. Although it is only half way, I can see that the assignments are already enough to create pressures for you.

I hope everyone is still coping and doing well!

I want to share with you one of my personal growths that happened a few months ago. It is abstract and I don’t feel easy in describing it, so please be patient with me.

I graduated with a Bachelor of Science eight years ago. In these eight years, I’ve had three full time jobs, two part time jobs and have been a full time student for one semester. To many people I’m already very fortunate, but to me I often felt unsatisfied with my achievements. I don’t have a profession, and I don’t know if I have the potential to pursue one because I do not see what I am particularly good at. I seem to know a bit of everything but nothing is significantly good.

I shared this with my friend one day and what he responded impacted me. He said it may be the values of the society that give us the illusion that we may only consider smart people are professionals or scholars. But what I have, that I know a bit of everything and can complete a wide range of tasks, is also a valuable skill that not everyone has.

Oh yes, I then changed my perspective. Moreover, when I pondered this further, I realised my mindset was not only influenced by our society, but also from my background culture, my parents and my own personality. I am thankful that I now feel much more satisfied and settled on what I have and who I am as how God created me, and I rejoice in it! Just like what we say in Carey that we not only learn to know and to do, but also to be and to feel. In my case, ‘being’ is the lesson for me to learn.

How important it is for us, particular as Christians, to regularly see clearly what has been influencing us and to distinguish from the distorted values in the world, so that we can live in the values that Jesus taught us without hindrance.

TUESDAY 25th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now

Genesis 12: 1-3 – Jonathan Robinson

Facilitated by the Laidlaw-Carey Graduate students

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Ian Foster: Ian has been the coach of the Chiefs Super 14 rugby team for six seasons and is a former Chiefs player himself. He is also the co-coach for the junior All Blacks. Ian often speaks to various groups, frequently on his faith in such a public world.

WEDNESDAY 26th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

MID SEMESTER BREAK

All usual classes, Formation activities etc. will be on hold from Monday 31 August for 3 weeks during this break. Classes resume as normal on Monday 21 September.

Two block courses will be held during this break:

a) Thematic Integrative Seminar

(16-18 September)

b) Mission within Youth Culture

(17-18 September)

Study well!!

THEMATIC INTEGRATIVE SEMINAR

Please remember that all two-sided synopses for this block course MUST be in no later than 5pm Tuesday 15th September.

This is simply to allow time for collation ready for the next morning. If yours is late it will hold this process up so please help us in this matter.

Sheets can be emailed to Rachel directly (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz)or handed to reception; from next week there will be a box on the front desk to put these in. It does not need to be signed in through the assignment box.

HEADSPACE…”GOD AND SUFFERING”

Real life stories and conversation on pain, experience and theology for women 17+ years of age.

Special Guests Charles and Joanne Hewlett will be sharing their own story, an experience of God in the midst of suffering.

Friday 28th August
Carey Baptist College, 473 Great South Road, Penrose, Auckland
7.30pm to 10:00pm
Cost: $10

Coffee and cake will be provided. Suzie Espie will be providing entertainment...Plus there will also be a panel discussion and reflection space.
RSVP: jax@bloom.org.nz

Presented by BLOOM—a charitable trust committed to inspiring, resourcing and walking alongside young women.