News

GMIM - 17 August 2009

GMIM - 17 August 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Karen Schilperoort writes...

Good morning it’s Monday!

I am amazed how quickly Mondays come around. There’s always that weekly build up to Fridays…..then the weekend and then Mondays again.

It’s Sunday night and I’m thinking on what to write in this weeks GMIM… there are so many possible threads…how its felt the past few months being an empty nester…or maybe all that I’ve learnt from the grief process of losing my Dad in March…or the joy of discovering I can call my daughters cell phone in Arizona and talk for 2 hours for $5.00. No nothing is gelling!

I’m actually feeling inspired to write about how much I love working at Carey. It’s Monday tomorrow and I am really looking forward to coming into work. Three reasons why!

My work colleagues are the most wonderful group of colleagues you could ever hope for. I work with godly, inspiring, loving, forgiving people. If you could listen to the conversations in the staff room over morning tea and lunch on a Monday it will be about how they were involved in church or their community (or both!) on the weekend…each one a practitioner.

What a privilege it is to work with students and watch the Lord work in their lives. In our Pastoral Leadership niche of the college, I love the emphasis not only on the Knowing and Doing but on the Being and Feeling.

Formation Tuesday has to be my favourite! I love the community that gathers for chapel, and then a shared lunch with a speaker…what great conversations we have around those tables.

This is a community that I treasure, thank you for being part of it.

TUESDAY 18th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Nigel Wright

Principal of Spurgeon’s College, London

Facilitated by Melanie Carroll and Dale Campbell

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Nigel Wright: The Principal of Spurgeon’s College, London, Nigel is known for his extensive preaching, teaching and writings in the areas of theology and ministry. He has also served as the President of the Baptist Union of Great Britain and is a council member of the Baptist World Alliance.

WEDNESDAY 13th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome.

BAPTIST HERITAGE DINNER 2009

Saturday 22 August 6:30pm

“Barrycourt”, Parnell, Auckland

Speaker: Dr. Nigel Wright.

Nigel is the Principal at Spurgeon’s College in London. A renowned writer and Church leader Nigel is visiting New Zealand in August at the invitation of the NZ Baptist Union.

You can book a ticket at the Heritage Dinner on the Response Form enclosed with this update. Please give your name and payment of $25/ticket to reception by 14 August.

ART WEEK PIECES

If you have not already taken your art work from the walls etc. please collect this from Rachel’s office this week.

Thanks for lending it to us!

DUTIES REMINDER

Thanks for assisting us in keeping the place clean and tidy. A reminder though that if you are unable to do your duty in any given week, please arrange for someone else to do this for you.

On Thursdays and Fridays when fewer people are around, please do take responsibility for your own dishes in the kitchen.

COFFEE!!

A reminder that each Monday and Wednesday from 10:45-11:15am the Student Association offers coffee in the dining room at the low cost of $2 a cup.

Get in and support this team!

A DATE FOR YOUR DIARY

You’ll hear more about this in the second half of the semester but please circle Thursday 29 October at 7pm.

This is the date of Carey’s annual sENDing event—an event where we farewell and commission our final year Pastoral Leadership students and thank various individuals. It’s a public event that will be held here at Carey and is a good opportunity to support your fellow students as they leave us.

DIY THANKS!!

Massive thanks to those who were here for DIY and for getting stuck in so willingly. The lists were completed and even a couple of extra tasks as well. We appreciate your help.

TUESDAY 18 AUGUST

This is an Open Tuesday for prospective PL and Youth Pastor students. Keep an eye out for new people who may be in your class at some point and around at lunch and make them feel welcome. Thanks.

LAURA G...

A very Happy Birthday to your Student Convenor who turned 21 last Friday…..and she even had to attend the Board meeting!

PLEASE NOTE…

If you are contemplating either the Pastoral Leadership or the Youth Pastor training programmes, it is not just a matter of enrolling in courses.

There is an application process to work through for these programmes and both have deadlines.

Pastoral Leadership (PL) - 30 September

Youth Pastor - 30 October

Please see Karen Schilperoort or Sarah Beisly for detailed information on what is required and to express your interest.

karen.schilperoort@carey.ac.nz

sarah.beisly@carey.ac.nz

Phone 0800 773 776 or Karen directly on 09 526 6590

HEADSPACE…”GOD AND SUFFERING”

Real life stories and conversation on pain, experience and theology for women 17+ years of age.

Special Guests Charles and
Joanne Hewlett will be sharing their own story, an experience of God in the midst of suffering.

Friday 28th August
Carey Baptist College
473 Great South Road, Penrose,
Auckland
7.30pm to 10pm

Cost: $10

Coffee and cake will be provided. Suzie Espie will be providing entertainment...Plus there will also be a panel discussion and reflection space.
RSVP: jax@bloom.org.nz

Presented by BLOOM—a charitable trust committed to inspiring, resourcing and walking alongside young women.

@ THE LIBRARY

Library week—It was a great week. had a variety of events and competitions.

Thank you for your contributions and we are looking forward to next year Library Week.Check the library blog for all our competition entries.

FOR SALE...

New MiniDisplay Port to VGA Adaptor for a newer model Mac laptop. Cost $55

Please see Rachel Murray.