CareyWeekly Newsletter 2024 S1 Week 10

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2024 S1 Week 10

by Student Communication -
Number of replies: 0

CAREY WEEKLY NEWSLETTER 2024 S1 WEEK 10

A note from our principal

Kia ora koutou,

I’m writing to let you know about two staff changes at Carey.

Andrew Picard will be finishing as Director of the Carey Graduate School at the end of this semester. Over these last 13 years, Andrew has made a very rich contribution to the Carey community, especially in the area of our Tiriti hikoi. Andrew has accepted the role of Manutaki Akoranga (Academic Director) at Te Kareti O Hoani Tapu Te Kaikauwhau i Te Rongopai / the College of St John the Evangelist.

He writes: “Aside from my family, Carey has been the biggest influence on my adult life…Leaving Carey is one of the hardest decisions I’ve made…I love and admire Carey…I will always be of Carey, and I’m proud to be so.” If you are enrolled for Revelation in semester 2, you need not worry. Andrew will teach this course as planned.

Eugene Fuimaono will also be finishing in his position as the Māori Student Support Advisor at Carey Baptist College. Eugene has taken a position with Communio, where he will work under and alongside his PhD supervisor, Dr Wayne Te Kawa. Eugene’s last day with us will be Wednesday 22 May. Eugene writes: “It has been an honour and a privilege to serve in this role and to work alongside such dedicated colleagues and students…I want to express my deepest gratitude to the Carey Baptist College community for the support, encouragement, and camaraderie I have experienced during my time here.”

We are currently working on interim plans to ensure that our ongoing support for all students (and especially for Māori and Pasifika learners) remains strong and responsive, even without Eugene in this space.

We will miss Andrew and Eugene, and pray that the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit may be with them both as they move into this new season (2 Cor 13:14). If you have any questions about this news, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

God bless,

John

Carey Open Events

Tuesday, 28 May from 9am-3pm is Open Day at Carey. If you are on campus, we encourage you to spread a little Carey kindness to anyone attending.

Have a mate
register for Open Day so they can know how cool it is to study here too! There’s a prize if you bring a friend.

Also, Online Open Evening is Tuesday, 4 June from 7.30-8.45pm. You can tell your friends about our
Online Open Evening too, ya know?

Reminder about Due Dates and Extensions—Plan Ahead!

You’ve got some time, so don’t lose your mind just yet. But, this is just a friendly reminder to check the due dates for assessments, and plan accordingly.

Assessments handed in up to one week after the due date are marked with 10% late penalty; assessments handed in between 7-14 days are marked pass/fail. Assessments handed in after the two-week period normally are not marked and receive a fail grade. So, be on time!

If you need an extension, please talk to your teacher and Neroli, and complete an
application for an extension.

Psalms Conference Student Rates

There are still some student-rate tickets for the Psalms conference, but not many!

Come along to our Psalms Conference, a three-day participatory event in July, and explore how the Bible’s songbook and prayerbook can inspire Christian worship and shape God’s people here in Aotearoa.

There is also a one-day access ticket if you can’t make the whole conference. The access code for the students discount is ONEDAY, but get your one-day ticket here or click one-day button below to go straight to the promo page.

Graduation helpers still needed!

We still need some helpers for graduation next week. It's one of the most special days on the Carey calendar, but it doesn't happen without heaps of work. That’s where you come in!

If you are able to help set up and tear down at graduation on Saturday, 18 May at 2pm at Manukau City Baptist Church, let Neroli know.

Karakia this week

Karakia was back this week, as Helen Brereton shared with us from 1 Timothy 5. Next week, we have another guest speaker with William HC. See you Tuesday in the chapel!

Karakia recordings

Don’t forget, we’ve got all the recordings from the first half of the semester, so check them out.

Let’s eat together!

We’ve got our opportunities to have some face-to-face and kai time together with Coffee, Tea, and Cake on Monday (bring your lunch along) and a free shared lunch on Tuesday. If you’re on-site, come along!

The Library

The year keeps going on, and the library continues to be unbelievable. If you need anything, Mei Ling, Anna, and Siong are available to help however you need!

Library hours:
Monday to Thursday 8.30am-6.30pm
Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12.30pm

Facebook iconInstagram iconLinkedIn icon

Copyright © 2024 Carey Baptist College, All rights reserved.