News

GMIM 30 March 2009

GMIM 30 March 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Lesley Utting writes:

Rachel and I were musing recently, on the coincidence that my name was down to write for GMIM on this particular date, a few days before I’m due to leave Carey. When the roster was set for GMIM, changing my job was not in the forefront of my mind, but the thought was loitering, of where to from here!

My career as a librarian has been a satisfying one. However my career has also had some hiccups along the way. I started a qualification which due to circumstances, applying to regulations, I didn’t complete. I was gaining valuable experience, but the uncompleted qualification remained as “unfinished business” for me. In the early 90’s I started afresh on my course of study and completed the qualification. I then went on to undertake more study and gained qualifications as part of my ongoing professional development. In 2001 I was recognised by my peers and awarded an Associateship of LIANZA.

I guess what I’m saying is, don’t leave unfinished business, be willing to step out of your comfort zone, give out to others, be grateful and make a difference wherever you are. I endeavour to live my life feeling grateful for the opportunities and experiences which have come my way. I plan to always pay forward the many kindnesses that have been shown to me.

During my time at Carey I have experienced some life experiences which had the potential to undermine me. None of these experiences were pleasant and it is wonderful to look back and feel the hand of God on my life. I was ministered to, loved, prayed for, cared for by students and staff alike. It is a wonderful thing to have colleagues who care deeply for you and I am constantly aware of God’s grace towards me through them. How many people can experience a wonderful working environment in their lifetime, for some, work is sheer drudgery. When I came to Carey I knew that I was in the right job at the right time. Now, as I leave Carey I know without a doubt that I am moving on to the right job at this particular time in my life.

I’d like to end with a poem by Marilyn Chandler McEntyre “How to recognize Grace”

“It takes you by surprise, it comes in odd packages, it sometimes looks like loss or mistakes.

It acts like rain or like a seed. It’s both reliable and unpredictable.

It’s not what you were aiming at or what you thought you deserved.

It supplies what you need not necessarily what you want.

It grows you up and lets you be a child.

It reminds you you’re not in control and that not being in control is a form of freedom.”

May you experience God’s grace in all that you do.

Blessings.

TUESDAY 31st

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Gospel Then & Now

Luke 4 – Susan Osborne

Facilitators:

Bryce Millar and David Julian

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Cherie West: Cherie and her husband Richard spent a number of years with Mission Aviation Fellowship in Papua New Guinea. Cherie returned to NZ with her children in 2005 after Richard was suddenly killed while flying. Amongst many activities she now operates Latitude Six coffee – grown in PNG and sold in NZ.

WEDNESDAY 25th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Easter Camps!

10-13 April

A number of Carey staff will be speaking and doing seminars at camps all over New Zealand. Plus there are a large number of students involved in either leading the camps or taking youth groups—keep them in your prayers as they prepare.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES THISWEEK

Jamie Wood from Pioneers will be on site Tuesday 31 March.

If you are interested in finding out more about this organisation and their work in the Africa, Asia and Latin America or how you might be involved, please do connect with him over lunch or in the Intercultural Studies room.

SEMINAR WITH HUGH EVANS..

Hugh Evans is a 25 year old Australian that is fast making a name for himself. He was the young Australian of the year in 2004 & was the organiser of the Make Poverty History campaign with Bono. Hugh is in NZ next week presenting some seminars.

In Auckland:

Monday 30th at St Pauls at 7pm

“ Mobilisng and engaging young people with the world around them.”

Tuesday 31 March at Maxim Institute at 6pm

“ The bonds between us: what does civic responsibility look like in our time and place?”

See www.bethlehem.ac.nz for more info and other seminar locations.

FOCUS ON BIBLE TRANSLATION

Saturday 4 April; 2:00-4:30pm

Eden Community Church

72 View Rd, Mt Eden

Contact Murray ph 630 7205 or salisburys@clear.net.nz

Facilitated by Murray Salisbury from Wycliffe Bible Translators this seminar will focus on a) an overview of bible translation worldwide and b) meeting people and exploring resources involved in the work c) looking at what translators actually do.

THANK YOU!

...for being a part of the Graduation ceremony held on Saturday. It was great to see so many receive their qualifications in the presence of friends and family.

FAREWELL...

This week we say farewell to Paul Windsor after 11 years of service as Principal. He will be onsite for the early part of this week only.

Although the formal farewells have taken place, we do again acknowledge the massive contribution that Paul has made to this college and to all those individuals that have studied whether onsite or distance and to staff. We wish him all the very best as he transitions into his new role as Associate Director of Preaching with Langham Partnership.

TOWARDS A KIWI-MADE PREACHING

A forum exploring the possibilities for biblical preaching in NZ.

If you are committed to the future of biblical preaching in NZ, then this smorgasbord of questions provoked by experienced and emerging preaching from within this Kiwi context is for you.

There will be many contributors from a range of organisations and churches from all over NZ, including special guest: Jonathan Lamb (Director, Langham Preaching)

When: Saturday 18 April

Time: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Where:
Carey Baptist College

Cost: (By April 15): $60 waged and $30 unwaged

Contact: For registrations contact Alyssa Windsor (alyssa.windsor@gmail.com)

Brought to you by Langham Partnership (NZ).www.langhampartnership.org.nz

A REMINDER...

If you have been assigned or have signed up to a duty for this semester, please do continue to remember to do these...we appreciate it and it makes a big difference if everyone is on track. Thanks

CAREYMEDIA—DVDs

Each year we have been filming and producing DVDs from the preaching slots in Tuesday Community Worship. These have followed a series of ‘Then and Now’ looking at Scripture along a particular theme and each with a discussion booklet...ideal for small groups or individual use

Mission Then and Now

Church Then and Now

Leadership Then and Now

Sermon on the Mount

Spirit Then and Now

These are normally $30 sold individually but we have a deal going at the moment..

Buy all 5 and pay just $100 for the lot!

Please contact Lidy at reception if you’d like to purchase these.

We also have 3 other DVDs on offer...

· New Age for Dummies: A Christian response to New Spiritualities with Ross Clifford

· Against the Flow with Marva Dawn: fresh [perspectives on technology, worship and sexuality.

· Compassionate Community Work with Dave Andrews

COFFEE!!!

Each week alternate Mondays and Wednesdays from 10.45am-11.45am, the coffee machine in the dining room will be brewing up a storm. So take a break from the study and join other students or grab a coffee during the lecture break.

Once you have used your coupon received a couple of weeks ago, a fresh cup of coffee is just $2! What a bargain for deliciousness.