News

GMIM 23 March 2009

GMIM 23 March 2009

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Paul Windsor writes:

With big changes ahead of me, my daughter Bethany convinced me recently that Facebook would be a good way to keep in touch with the people with whom it will be most easy to lose contact - like former students!

In the Facebook 'Profile' there is the opportunity to describe my 'Religion'. For some weeks I thought about what to write. I am not sure 'Christian' is that helpful. The word is too fluid and the connotations often counterproductive. What about 'follower of Jesus'? I have always liked that phrase. But is it sufficient? I have my doubts...

In the end I returned to the little picture about prepositions which I have used with students in Preaching classes over the years. "The little words that mean so much." Words like 'through' and 'on' and 'in' and 'under' and 'with' and 'for' and 'like'... When these little words are attached to 'Christ' a much fuller understanding of what it means to be a Christian is gained. While it may all start with being a 'follower-of-Jesus' (as we see in the Gospels), it certainly does not remain there (as we see in the rest of the New Testament).

So this is how I understand my Religion. I aim at being a prepositional Christian. Through Christ. On Christ. In Christ. With Christ. For Christ. And being all this until I become Like Christ. It is about discovering the full significance of these phrases, celebrating them with others of like mind, and letting them take us wherever they will in God's world.

As I do this I find two challenges surface every single day. Firstly, it is about obeying Christ. Jesus is my Lord and my Master. If he is not Lord of all, he is not Lord at all. I trust and obey and he opens the way. I do not need to be ambitious. His call settles on me for a season (as has been the case for me at Carey) - and then his call lifts and settles somewhere else. As it has turned out, I am a few months short of 50 and I have yet to get out there and apply for a job. While this is not the more 'spiritual' path to take, I confess that I kinda like it like this. It is about following Christ's life and teaching and letting it lead me on.

Secondly, it is about uniting with Christ. This is why saying I am a 'follower of Jesus' is true - but it is not true enough. It is more than this. We are in Christ. Christ is in us. There is a mutual indwelling. Unique among the religions of the world, Christianity is about a merger with the founder. Start with the vine and the branches (in John 15) and its picture of an organic, dependent relationship between us and Jesus - and when you have eyes to see this, you see it everywhere in the New Testament.

I commend the prepositioned life to you.

PS - For you FB-ers out there, I am expecting a few 'friend requests' out of this one smile

TUESDAY 24th

Community Worship 11:15am-12pm

Carey Dialogues

Tim Bulkeley and Myk Habets discuss/debate an issue.

Facilitators: Antony Glading & Bruce Geddes

After Dinner Mints @ lunch

Ian Mobsby: Ian is one of the founding members of the Moot Community in London. He has a strong interest and is currently engaged in exploring alternative, emerging and fresh expressions of Church.

WEDNESDAY 25th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people. All welcome!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Graduation!

Saturday 28 March

Auckland Baptist Tabernacle @ 4pm

Speaker: Paul Windsor

Come celebrate with those who have completed their qualifications.

Easter Camps!

10-13 April

A number of Carey staff will be speaking and doing seminars at camps all over New Zealand. Plus there are a large number of students involved in either leading the camps or taking youth groups—keep them in your prayers as they prepare.

FROM THE DESK OF THE STUDENT PEER SUPPORT NETWORK REP

Are you new to Carey, finding it difficult to settle into Carey life? Are you new to Carey, getting scared about planning your assessments? Are you new to Carey, confused about careyonline and would love to have a buddy to help you to get started? If so I'd love to put you in touch with someone who could help make these first weeks less stressful!

Please talk to me around Carey or email me at peer.support@carey.ac.nz
Buddies will be needed, so if you would be willing to help in peer-support
of new students, please let me know.

Jaswanth Kukatlapalli

TOWARDS A KIWI-MADE PREACHING

A forum exploring the possibilities for biblical preaching in NZ.

If you are committed to the future of biblical preaching in NZ, then this smorgasbord of questions provoked by experienced and emerging preaching from within this Kiwi context is for you.

There will be many contributors from a range of organisations and churches from all over NZ, including special guest: Jonathan Lamb (Director, Langham Preaching)

When: Saturday 18 April

Time: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Where:
Carey Baptist College

Cost: Early Bird (March 20):

$50 waged and $20 (unwaged)

(After April 15): $60 waged and $30 unwaged

Contact: For registrations contact Alyssa Windsor (alyssa.windsor@gmail.com)

Brought to you by Langham Partnership (NZ).www.langhampartnership.org.nz

ESSAY COMPETITION

Are you interested in gender and faith?

For the first time in our history, Christians for Biblical Equality (CBE) is holding a student paper competition!

Students from around the world are invited to submit their research papers to CBE. Three students will be awarded a scholarship to present their research papers at CBE’s 2009 conference in St. Louis, MO, on July 24-26. All papers submitted may also be considered for publication in one of CBE’s award-winning journals.

The submission deadline for the student paper competition is May 1, 2009.

For more information about the conference, visit www.cbeinternational.org

To view the paper guidelines for the student paper competition, visit:

www.cbeinternational.org/new/events/StLouis09/paper_guidelines_web.pdf

CHANGE IN ACCESS TO BUILDINGS

Please note that for access for students to the dining/chapel building on Fridays has changed to 8:45am

Monday—Thursday remain at 8:30am.

CENTRE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUDIES THISWEEK

Keith Walls from Reach Across will be on site Tuesday 24 March.

If you are interested in finding out more about this organisation and their work in the Middle East or how you might be involved, please do connect with him over lunch or in the Intercultural Studies room.

FROM THE STUDENT ASSOCIATION TEAM...

If you would like to get in touch with any of the Student Reps, feel free to chat to them when you see them around College, or pop a note in their pigeon hole by the lecture rooms or use the email addresses below:

Laura - student.rep@carey.ac.nz
Andrew - finance.rep@carey.ac.nz
Gary - sports.rep@carey.ac.nz
Jacky/Emily - chinese.rep@carey.ac.nz
Jaswanth - peer.support@carey.ac.nz
Michael - intermission.rep@carey.ac.nz
Rob - events.rep@carey.ac.nz
Ryan - student.relations@carey.ac.nz
Shaun - academic.rep@carey.ac.nz

COFFEE!

Last week we gave all students a 'one free coffee' coupon. Here is the info on how to redeem them!

Each week alternate Mondays and Wednesdays from 10.45am-11.45am, the coffee machine in the dining room will be brewing up a storm. So take a break from the study and join other students or grab a coffee during the lecture break.

Once you have used your coupon, a fresh cup of coffee is just $2!What a bargain for deliciousness.

From your friendly Student Association Team.

THEMATIC INTEGRATIVE SEMINAR

For those enrolled in this course, this is being held Thursday 26 and Friday 27 March starting at 9:30am Thursday morning.

You should have a course timetable but there are some at reception if you need one. You should also have a CD related to the course—again if you do not have one, please contact Neroli before the course starts.

SEMINAR WITH HUGH EVANS..

Hugh Evans is a 25 year old Australian that is fast making a name for himself. He was the young Australian of the year in 2004 & was the organiser of the Make Poverty History campaign with Bono. Hugh is in NZ next week presenting some seminars.

In Auckland:

Monday 30th at St Pauls at 7pm

“ Mobilisng and engaging young people with the world around them.”

Tuesday 31 March at Maxim Institute at 6pm

“ The bonds between us: what does civic responsibility look like in our time and place?”

See www.bethlehem.ac.nz for more info and other seminar locations.

FOCUS ON BIBLE TRANSLATION

Saturday 4 April; 2:00-4:30pm

Eden Community Church

72 View Rd, Mt Eden

Contact Murray ph 630 7205 or salisburys@clear.net.nz

Facilitated by Murray Salisbury from Wycliffe Bible Translators this seminar will focus on a) an overview of bible translation worldwide and b) meeting people and exploring resources involved in the work c) looking at what translators actually do.

CHILDREN’S PROGRAMME…

CAN YOU HELP?

On Saturday 4 April Interserve is holding a day for its supporters and they are looking for a couple of people who may be help them by overseeing a kid’s programme from 9:30am—3:30pm at Royal Oak Baptist.

Please contact the Interserve office on 630 0981 if you are able to help.