News

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S1 Week 14

CareyWeekly Newsletter 2022 S1 Week 14

by Student Communication -
Number of replies: 0
CAREY WEEKLY 2022 SEMESTER 1 WEEK 14

Get Inside Your Head!

I am experiencing some weird feelings lately in this ‘new normal’ of post-pandemic life. Life feels familiar, yet also foreign. It feels chaotic, yet my life is relatively settled. Life feels stretched, yet I am probably committed to fewer things now than I was two years ago. This ‘new normal’ feels like a perfectly pitched yorker in cricket, causing me to stumble off-balance.

Being off-balance is impacting my resilience, and I wonder about my levels of resilience today compared to the last few years.

Now, I work with some stellar people here at Carey, but I think it is fair to say that patience seems a little thinner and creative energy a little lower than usual.

And then there are the students! In my 12 years at Carey, I have never experienced a semester with so many extensions, late submissions, or ‘no-shows’ for classes.

Please hear me! None of this is meant to sound like I am ragging on my colleagues or our students! On the contrary, I have the utmost respect and love for each of you! We have lived through a crazy time! But, it does point toward what I have been thinking about lately; our level of resilience is lower than what it used to be.

My level of resilience is the lowest it has felt in a very long time, and this brings me to the awesome animated movie that is “Inside Out.”

I reckon it is time for you to watch it again, or for the first time if you have not yet seen it!

If you allow it to, Inside Out can help you explore the feelings inside you right now. It can help you name emotions you are experiencing and presenting to the world around you, and--if I am so bold as to suggest--Inside Out may even bring a little joy into your life.

Obviously, a Pixar movie is not going to solve our resilience issues. Still, it might just be a good step toward noticing and expressing what is happening inside us as we continue journeying in this ‘new normal’ world, post-pandemic.

Sam

End of Semester IMPORTANT Message

With the semester one coming to a close, please note the following:

• Semester one ends Friday, 1 July.
  • All final assessments must be submitted to CareyOnline by 1 July.

Assessment extensions must be submitted and approved by the Academic Registrar prior to due dates.

Please complete an Application for Extension to Complete Assement and email it to Neroli on neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz. The end of semester and marking timeframes outlined below constrain what is possible around any approved extensions. It is critical that you talk to Neroli if you are unable to meet the 1 July assessment submission timeframe!

Semester One results are confirmed at the Markers Meeting on Thursday, 14 July. Results will be released on Careyonline on Friday, 15 July. Your Student Portal gives you access to your final course grades (if you have questions around accessing your student portal please connect with Neroli Hollis. If you require an actual transcript please also connect with Neroli Hollis.

Online Open Evening

Got a friend who would love Carey? Or a family member? Do you know someone at your church who would thrive here? Invite them along to our Online Open Evening at 7.30pm Tuesday, 14 June.

Weekly Karakia Tuesday 11.15am

Join us for karakia again this week as we connect as a Carey whānau.

Remember there is a new link for the duration of the semester: Meeting ID: 989 8833 3139. Join via Zoom.

Looking forward to worshipping together again on Tuesday!

Join on Zoom

Community Lunch

Come along for great food and time to connect Monday and Tuesday this week. Julie has another stellar menu prepared for us, and you won't want to miss it! 

On-site Photoshoots

We've had representatives from Render Creative around campus previously taking photos and video to help promote Carey. Render will be around for a few days, and we'd love your help with student testimonials.

If you want to be recorded sharing how Carey has been a part of your transformation, let us know!

Photoshoots and recording sessions will take place the following days:

Monday, 13 June
Monday, 20 June

Get those Final Assessments Lined Up!

Have you looked at teacher feedback from previous assessments on CareyOnline?
Have you used the resources on the 10 Essentials?
Have you talked to the library team about how to find good resources?
Have you used the referencing guides?
Have you used a Peer Writing Assistant?
Have you talked with the Paihere Student Support team?

Our student support team are here to help you move that B to an A or that C to a B! Talk to us!

We also want to thank all of you who completed course evaluations. The teaching team will be providing feedback in classes over the next couple weeks, and summaries will also be posted to CareyOnline.