News

S2 Week 4 @ Carey

S2 Week 4 @ Carey

Student Communication -
回帖数:0
SEMESTER 2  |  WEEK 4
Kia ora koutou.

On Thursday Carey’s staff team gathered to pray for you all as we lurch into another lockdown. Compared to the chaos of Kabul and the agonies of Afghanistan this week, our Delta-induced disruptions are relatively inconsequential. Still, I know for some of us, and for many people across Aotearoa, this lockdown will cause considerable difficulty.

I think of my sister-in-law, whose critical – possibly urgent – medical attention has had to be deferred. I think of my elderly mother in a private hospital, who is being deprived of any meaningful contact with family members. I think of children in homes with limited internet connection. I think of business owners who are hanging on by a thread.

What might Jesus want to say to us at a time like this? I’ve been reading through a book by Alan Kreider on The Patient Ferment of the Early Church. It traces the improbable and extraordinary rise of Christianity in the midst of the Roman Empire. Why did the early church grow so rapidly?

Like other historians before him, Kreider points to the epidemics that sometimes swept through the Roman Empire. These plagues were devastating, sometimes wiping up to a third of the empire’s population. Most Romans typically fled the towns and cities, ran for the hills, leaving their sick loved ones to die. Those that stayed tried to protect themselves by throwing into the streets the bodies of plague victims, some of whom were still alive. “Many diseased and dying people … asked the pity of the passers-by.”

Christian communities, by contrast, tried to care for sick families and friends. Sometimes they paid for this with their lives, but more often they were able to nurse those who were sick back to health. So, as one historian has put it, Christians out-loved and out-lived their pagan neighbours, who were often drawn towards Jesus Christ as a result.

I wonder, how might we love our neighbours in the midst of this pandemic? Is there someone you can call or text or email? What about the lady across the fence? What about the members of your church family? What about your fellow students here at Carey? How might you support them? Could you offer to share resources or notes? Could you call them to pray a blessing on them?

And as you care for those around you, remember that you can cast all your cares on God, because “he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).

John Tucker

CHAPEL WORSHIP - Join us online for Tuesday chapel

Mick Duncan will share some encouragement with us on Tuesday 24 August at 11:15 a.m. So grab a cuppa and join us online for a relaxed time together. 

Zoom Chapel Link
Meeting ID: 990 3624 4625

GETTING READY FOR ASSESSMENTS?! 

3490f166-d383-65ec-e1d3-12bf56574024.pngWith first assessments coming up soon, have you checked out the resources under the 10 Essentials on CareyOnline.

How to use the library, how to write an essay, how to reference, how to submit an assignment on CareyOnline--it is all there! We highly recommend you read over these resources as you start to work on those first assignments!

As always, we are here for you. So if you are feeling anxious or need any academic support at this time, please contact a member of our Student Support Team:

Neroli Hollis: registrar@carey.ac.nz
Tanya Lameta: tanya.lameta@auckland.ac.nz

TEC Advisory on Hardship Support

You will continue to get your regular Student Allowance and Student Loan living costs payments if you’re still enrolled and studying. Talk to your education provider about your course, and any questions or concerns you have about being able to continue to study. Answers to questions about Student Allowance and living cost payments can be found on StudyLink’s website. StudyLink can also help over the phone and through MyStudyLink in most cases.

If you need extra help during this time you can find information about emergency assistance on StudyLink’s website.

The library will be closed at Alert Level 4. If you have library access questions, please email library@carey.ac.nz during normal working hours, and the team will respond to you.

5f6824aa-422c-bfe9-9447-17a6486caf73.png
Carey Research Conference

Join us on 23 September as we explore research that matters in a free and fully catered day conference featuring Carey thesis students, teaching staff, and a keynote address from Dr. Lynne Taylor (Otago). Register online for the day-conference and/or dinner and keynote address. 

Wesleyan Theology Conference

The Stream is an annual Theological Conference held on 28 August, which explores Wesleyan Theological perspectives on current issues in the church and society. Register for this online conference by Monday 23 August to hear from a range of internationally renown scholars.