News

S2 Week 2 @ Carey

S2 Week 2 @ Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2  |  WEEK 2
"During the break, Gabby and I headed away with a few friends for a weekend in Rotorua. Along the journey we stopped and wandered through the graveyard of St. Faiths Church in Ohinemutu. Amongst the gravestones was a tomb for a husband and wife. The epitaph for the husband read something that appeared quite spiritual and deep - appearing to build a picture of this bloke whose life had been spent in devout service of both Jesus and his church. By comparison, his wife’s note simply read: ‘she did what she could’. We all shared a bit of a chuckle, imagining what such a phrase might have been intended to mean! As we chuckled, I began to ponder what those few words might actually have meant and what they might say to us about our own journeys of following Jesus.

You see, one of the recurring catchphrases of my life in the past few years has been that it’s not ‘your ministry, it’s Jesus’ ministry’. As a recovering ‘yes’ person (if you are a millennial then think of somewhat unhealthy enneagram 2), the challenge of seeing what I do as the primary way in which my life has value within the mission of God is a constant and often covert temptation! My default is to switch into a state of being the ‘he did this’ kind of person, rather than being a ‘he did what he could’ human being that acknowledges the primary role of God in transforming and making all things new. 1 Cor 12:3 points out that no one can call Christ ‘Lord’ except by the work of the Holy Spirit. It is all that is needed in the light of the all-surpassing power of God’s transforming activity!

As this new semester winds its way into gear, many of you may feel well-rested and ready to go, whilst others amongst us may feel a degree of weariness. In whatever spot you find yourself in, may you know the Holy Spirit enabling you to faithfully and obediently just ‘do what you can,’ that the remainder of your year may be filled with moments in which the often weak offerings we bring are places where you truly recognise his power slowly but surely making all things new!"

Jonathan Edmeades (SASS President)

CHAPEL WORSHIP - Guest Speaker: Cliff Thompson

Cliff is the lead pastor of the Render Gathering, a Baptist Church in Manurewa, and chairs the Board of Render Creative. He is a Regional Leader for Sports Chaplaincy New Zealand and serves as chaplain to the Franklin Bulls basketball team.

If you can't be physically present for chapel, don't forget we'll livestream this on the Carey Student Facebook Group. Get connected if you aren't already.

MONDAY AND TUESDAY LUNCHES

See you at 12.40pm on Monday and 12.00pm on Tuesday.
Below is the full list of speakers and community formation for Semester Two.

CONGRATULATIONS TO FIJI FOR TAKING OUT THE RUGBY SEVENS GOLD MEDAL!

Our Fijian students are ecstatic with the news!!
Kia ora!
Semester Two is here and its time for some mid-winter Christmas cheer. If you are onsite, then join us at 12:30pm on Wednesday next week for a Christmas roast and quiz! Vegetarian options will be available!
SASS will subsidise the kai but any koha you can contribute will be appreciated! 🙂
Chur!
The SASS crew!
Check out the Facebook event 

STUDENT HANDBOOK 

Whare do I find key information about Carey, who to talk to if you have questions, what resources are available, how do things work around here? IF you haven’t read the Student Handbook, you can find the answers to those questions and more in this booklet.

FIRST STEPS FOR NEW STUDENTS

If you are a new student, Carey has developed a self-directed induction course called First Steps which is available on CareyOnline. All new students are required to complete this course within the first four weeks of semester, and it will cover key aspects of academic literacy, academic writing and important aspects of academic integrity.

This course should appear under My Courses in CareyOnline. If you have any issues accessing the course please talk to any of the library team.

TIMETABLE SEMESTER 2 2021

Please note the new timetable (different from Semester One) operating in semester two – classes run from 9:30-12:00 pm and from 1:30-4:00 pm. Regional student you are able to join in with the live class via Zoom (we recommend you do this if your schedule allows).  Block course dates have not changed. Check out the details here.

HOW DO I GET READY FOR MY ASSIGNMENTS?

As you think about assessments coming up – make sure you have read the 10 Essentials on CareyOnline?
Specifically – sections 2: How to Use the Library and 4. How to write and assignment 5. How to write an essay.
Even if this is your second (or more) semester at Carey, have you read these?
Did you know there are some exemplar assignments that you can look at on the 10 Essentials page on CareyOnline?
If you haven’t taken a look at these – DO IT NOW ! 😊
If you have any question, get in touch with any of the Library team, or with the Paihere Student Support team (Tanya, Jordyn).

CAR STICKERS ARE AVAILABLE AT RECEPTION

Car stickers available at reception if you come and park your car here on campus   

ID CARDS ARE AVAILABLE AT RECEPTION

ID cards are available from reception (or posted if a distance student) once fees have been paid and Public Trust form signed and returned 😊

CAREY ONLINE 

If you are a new student in 2021, you should have received your login information for CareyOnline – Carey’s Learning Management System (LMS) where all of the key course information is stored. If you can’t locate that information or are having trouble logging on to CareyOnline, please contact Neroli Hollis (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz).

For weekly taught courses (ie not block courses) the weekly lecture recordings should be posted in the Lecture Recordings section of your CareyOnline course within 48 hours of the onsite class. Please ensure you log on to CareyOnline regularly to check for messages and information from your course teachers.

CHANGE OF ENROLMENT

If you are changing your courses you need to fill in a Change of Enrolment form. You can find this under Forms for Students on CareyOnline or on the Carey website.
Library hours starting from Monday 26th July 2021
Monday-Thursday 8:30am-6:30pm
Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
Saturday 10:00am-12:30pm