News

GMIM - 22 September 2008

GMIM - 22 September 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Neroli (soon to be ‘Hollis’) Hodges writes…

It’s a lovely time of year – the days are longer, the weather is drier (hopefully), the world around us is more colourful and it feels lighter………….I love the sense of relief that comes to me that I have made it through winter and things can only get better!

Spring is also a reminder of transitions – transitioning out of one season into another.

About this time last year a conversation I had with one of your fellow students started nudging me into a transitional phase.  It was one of those “I know a guy who I think you two would be good together”. At the time I was rather in an “I’ve heard this before and it usually doesn’t work out” frame of mind.  Anyway she persisted in dropping mention of him into my life every now and then. Time passed and still I was on the sideline hearing what she said but not acting on it. It took a bit and another season came and went before I stepped out to take it further. One thing led to another and now 7 months to the day I met this guy for lunch I am counting down to 2 months time when we get married! Spring has suddenly really SPRUNG!!

It’s a wonderful space to be in –all the hope and promise of the possibilities of what lies ahead for us together– I’m loving it. smile

Amidst all of the planning and expectation, buying and trying on and preparing to look beautiful, I pause in wonder at all that is beautiful in my life.

My relationship with Murray has reminded me to trust God and to go on trusting when it all seems like it’s not worth it. In the past I have known in one sense that God is a trustworthy God but at times I must admit that I did wonder. Throughout this year I have been given an amazing expression of spring - of all that God has been doing in the other seasons that have preceded this one for me.  God can surely be trusted.

To have someone commit to love and care for you is wonderful and to know that in this big wide world I do not have to go it alone is truly amazing.

While on the one hand I wish that we had met earlier and I had not had to go through being single for so long, I also know that the journey to today is part of what makes our relationship tick – we had to go our journey alone to bring us into what we now cherish.

Timing has it’s own wisdom……a bit like the seasons really!

Trust God and embrace spring!.

TUESDAY 23rd

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Spirit Then & Now

Joel 2/Acts 2

Tim Bulkeley

Communion Service

Facilitated by Rob Markley & Gary Mauga

After Dinner Mints

Phil Halstead

Phil’s interest in pastoral theology and in particular the area of forgiveness has been a good basis for him to be involved with the Living Waters ministry since 1995. Phil has recently submitted his PhD in theology at the University of Auckland and in this he designed and ran a series of forgiveness courses that helped adults to explore their relationships with their parents.

WEDNESDAY 24th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

WELCOME BACK…...to the second half of semester two—8 weeks and counting!! Good eh?!

MISSION OF THE WEEK

Mission of the week for the Centre For Intercultural Studies this week will be Teen Mission International with displays and information. Make sure you take a look some time during the week from Monday.

COFFEE!!

Make the most of the two opportunities in each week to enjoy some good coffee in the dining room thanks to the Student Association team!

Mondays and Thursdays; 10:45-11:15am; $2 cup

SEMINAR THIS WEEK!

“Forgiveness Matters”

with Phil Halstead

Forgiveness is an enigma for many adult churchgoers who struggle with their parental relationships. There are tools to help people understand and experience how forgiveness can positively alter one’s  relationships with their parents, themselves, others and God.

Phil will be teaching at Carey in 2009 in the area of Christian Counseling and this is a great opportunity to hear from him about his research in this area of interest. He is a past student of Carey and recently submitted his PhD in theology at the University of Auckland.

Thursday 25 September; 12:30-2:00pm

Light lunch included

Please RSVP by Wednesday 24 September (this week!!) for catering purposes to rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz or ph 526 6598

LOST AND FOUND…

One pair of men’s black shoes and grey socks left in the showers. See reception if you’re shoe-less!

TWO OPEN TUESDAYS...Pass it on!!!

30 September and 21 October

8:45am4pm

An opportunity for those interested in study at Carey, to come and join us onsite and see what a day at Carey is like plus have the opportunity to ask questions. If you know of people who may be thinking about coming to Carey whatever their preferred programme, please encourage them to this. Contact Neroli for details of the day and to register. registrar@carey.ac.nz or 0800 773 776.

SECURITY OF VEHICLES

A little reminder: if you bring a vehicle onsite, please do not leave any valuables in it. Break-ins during the day do happen unfortunately and let’s give people as little reason as possible to do so. Also with belongings around the college—please keep an eye on them. We do lock the classrooms during breaks in lectures but any personal belongings in the library and elsewhere need to be kept close.

CAFÉ THEOS...today!

Monday September 22, 12.45-1.15pm; Dining Room

“The Shack” – this novel is causing a lot of waves so if you want add some ripples to the pond bring your lunch and listen to members of faculty discuss the book, looking at it pros and cons, it theology and ‘heresy’.

ENNEAGRAM & TRANSFORMATION WORKSHOPS

Saturday 27 September & 18 October

Cityside,

8 Mt. Eden Road
; 9am– 3pm, BYO lunch.

Student price: $50

Bookings essential.

Email: anaru_r@clear.net.nz or ph 638-4329

CALLING ALL WOMEN...

Time for an end-of-year brunch for Carey women!

Saturday 11 October; 9:15am; Cost: your own

Kings Plant Barn Café  (not Palmers!)

236 Orakei Rd
, Remuera

Please let Rachel know if you plan on joining us!

BIBLIOGRAPHIES HARD WORK?

Not any more! Let your PC do the work, while you relax on the beach! Well, almost. At least let your PC do much of the work while you focus on a good essay ;). Tim Bulkeley will offer training on installing and using Zotero - a totally free bibliography package that has been reviewed as better than the expensive Endnote.

In the InfoCommons at 5pm on Tuesday 23rd September. Please register your interest with Tim to ensure a place. (tim@carey.ac.nz or see him around!)

GIVING BLOOD

You might remember Mike profiling blood 3 months ago, if not it’s here: www.carey.ac.nz/mc
He’s going to give blood next week if anyone’s keen to join him. in touch with
Mike (mike.crudge@carey.ac.nz) and we’ll see if a group trip can be planned. For distance students: check out www.nzblood.co.nz for your local place to give.