News

Good Morning it's Monday - 18 August 2008

Good Morning it's Monday - 18 August 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Laurie Guy writes…

What is it like to be ‘not all there’? I’m not all there now. I had a heart attack in June, a small one, but heart attacks mean that a bit of your heart has died. So I’m now not all there.

What is it like to be not all there? People with physical, intellectual or psychological handicaps have faced this throughout their lives. Pretty tough really. Because the risk is that if they are ‘not all there’ then they will have diminished value in the eyes of other people.

I find that if people empathise with me on my heart attack that’s fine. But if it comes with a, ‘poor you; you must be a bit limited now’, subtext I slightly resent it. Partly it’s because I feel pretty well; but more so I think it is because it conveys a message that I’m now not all there.

I’m visiting my elderly mother (99 years and seven months) twice a week in the hospital wing of a rest home. I find her with a sense of powerlessness and also feistiness. Almost none of her life is in her control. The doctor says she should walk again. She says she’ll show him – she won’t walk. Why that attitude? I suspect that one thing it says is, I am a person and I’ll run my life.

I’ve been reading recently material written by the feminists of the 1890s. They’re an impressive bunch – Kate Sheppard of ten-dollar note fame amongst them. A lot of their ideas were shaped by Christian values. A major underlying message in their writings is a cry for dignity, value, equality. Something a lot of women in the nineteenth century (and since) were not experiencing.

Heart attack victims, rest home inmates, feminists. What do they have in common? And shall I add to the list: handicapped, alcoholics, ethnic minorities, tangata whenua, poor people, sexually broken people. What do they all have in common? Something that all human beings have in common. A deep human need for a sense of respect and dignity.

There’s a thing in the Bible called the ‘golden rule’ (Matt 7.12). That makes it sound very important. And when Jesus spoke it – do to others what you want them to do for you – he said it was the essence of all of the Old Testament. Sounds very important. Strange that I’ve never in my life heard a sermon on it. How do I want to be treated? With respect and dignity. How am I to respond to people who are different or not all there? . . . . ?

MONDAY 18th

Community Worship

PRIOR APPOINTMENT!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

TUESDAY 19th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Yeah Right! Laurie Guy

Facilitated by Bruce Geddes and David Julian

After Dinner Mints

Jeff Tallon

Professor of Physics at Victoria University, Jeff is internationally renowned for his innovative research, particularly in the area of high-temperature superconductors (HTS). Jeff is also a Rutherford medal winner – the benchmark for world class science.

WEDNESDAY 20th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

ester 2

‘PRIOR APPOINTMENT’ THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

"Moralism, is trying to live the Christ life without Him."

MISSION OF THE WEEK

Mission of the week for the Centre For Intercultural Studies this week will be WEC with displays and information and represented by Eric Oesterbroek.  Make sure you take a look some time during the week from Monday.

BAPTIST HISTORICAL SOCIETY DINNER

Saturday 30 August 2008, 6.00 for 6.30 pm

Barrycourt Hotel

10-20 Gladstone Road
, Parnell, Auckland

Speaker: Paul Windsor

Is Carey really "the best hope for the church in New Zealand"?!

Some personal reflections on a decade (or two) in theological education in NZ.

Cost: 35.00 per person or Table for Eight $240

Register with names and payment by 25 August to Heritage Dinner,

PO Box 12149
, Penrose, Auckland 1642

Or hand to Carey reception.

Cheques payable to “Baptist Heritage Dinner”

STAFF ON SABBATICAL

Each semester there is usually at least one teaching staff member on study leave/sabbatical. In this semester that person is Brian Krum. Brian is working on finishing his Doctor of Ministry (DMin) and will back on deck in Semester One 2009.

ASHES PHOTOS

Check out the photos on the wall in the dining room (by the stools). These were taken last Tuesday (12th) while Ashes was happening—some great shots in there!

Some of you we could class as our pin-up people for the Prospectus and website!!

CAFÉ THEOS

We have posted the first Café Theos discussion on careyonline as a video and discussion forum. If you wish to be enrolled in the discussion please email Russell Thorp. This allows you to discuss and respond to the discussion online with others.

STAFFING CHANGES

Attached is a memo from Paul Windsor outlining some changes in staffing that will take place in 2009. Please do read this.

@ the Library

This week is Library Week from August 18-24th. Please make good use of the library this week and enjoy what it can offer you. Free coffee will be provided at Tuesday lunchtime, per kind favour of the library staff!! Come to the Library with your coffee (just for today) and relax before class.

COFFEE!!

Thanks to the team from Student Association with their purchase of the coffee machine in the dining room, good coffee is now an option!

Make the most of the two opportunities in the week to enjoy this!

Monday and Thursday

10:45-11:45am

Cost is $2 cup

LOST AND FOUND

FOUND...one USB drive (Apacer) on string. Was found outside the dining room door late Friday last week. Please collect this from reception.

Also if anyone is missing clothing items from the Ashes Day last week please check with reception as they may have been collected up.