News

Welcome back! - S2W10 @ Carey

Welcome back! - S2W10 @ Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2 | EVEN WEEK | WEEK 10
Kia ora Carey whānau, 

In working on my presentation for the Carey Graduate School conference, I have been mulling over one of the quotes from my paper,  
[I]n order to give us the entire fullness of what God enjoys, God must give us God’s own very life and not simply some created version of it. God cannot give us everything that God has to give by merely transforming human life itself into some created approximation of divinity. God must attach us, in all our frailty and finitude, to God.[1][1] 

I have definitely been feeling my frailty and finitude recently. I love this reminder that such a condition is not something which I need to try and escape but is instead my greatest creaturely dignity.  

Christa McKirland

[2][1] Kathryn Tanner, Christ the Key, 1st edition (Cambridge, UK; New York: Cambridge University Press, 2010), Preface. 

NO COMMUNITY EVENTS THIS WEEK

Tuesday Chapel and community lunches will not be running this week.
We will review this decision after the announcement on the 21st September.

COVID-19 GUIDELINES

You may have read conflicting reports in the media in the last couple of days regarding the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education’s advice to Tertiary Educational Organisations (TEOs) with regard to the Covid-19 Alert Level restrictions and guidelines. This morning we sought clarification from ITENZ (the Peak Body association representing private training organisations) and TEC (the government Tertiary Education Commission) and have had it confirmed that to date, there have been NO changes to the guidelines provided to TEOs.

This means that the MoH and NZQA advice to TEOs remains as follows, that “classes, lectures, labs, workshops, tutorials, noho, and meetings are allowed, but should be strictly managed to ensure public health control measures for TEOs are in place, such as contact tracing. Overnight noho marae are allowed.  There are no size restrictions for lectures and classes, though TEOs should limit capacity to enable physical distancing of one metre, where possible.”

The health and safety of our students and staff is our number one priority at this time. With classes resuming on Monday 21 September, we will be taking all necessary precautions to safeguard the health of those coming on campus. Please do not come onto campus if you are at all unwell. If you have any Covid-19 symptoms please get tested, and stay at home until those results have come through as being negative.

Things change rapidly so we will continue to monitor the situation and provide you with any updates. Thank you for your ongoing patience and consideration of each other during these challenging times.

Ngā mihi nui
Rob Ayres

PEER WRITING ASSISTANTS ARE BACK!

Our peer writing support is again available in semester two. Huge thanks to Jono, Josh and Barbara who are our current peer writing assistants. Research shows that students are often the best people to help other students! If you would like help with your academic writing, wanting help to move that B essay to an A grade, or maybe that C to a B ? … then we have peer writing assistants available to meet you online or face to face (as Covid restrictions allow). To book one of these free sessions, please email : library@carey.ac.nz and include:
  • Your name and student ID number
  • Identify which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline)
  • Identify what times you might be available

REACH OUT - YOU'RE NOT ALONE!

If you have any questions or are having trouble finding what you need please email Neroli! 

Remember, your teachers, the library team, Neroli and Reti are all here to help. If you are struggling to get going… reach out and talk to someone. Don’t do it alone…

LIBRARY OPEN NEXT WEEK 

The Library hours are:

Mon-Tue      8:30am-6:30pm
Wed-Friday  9am-5pm
Saturday      10am-12:30pm

OPEN DAY COMING UP

Spread the word | bring a friend who you think would benefit from study at Carey.

We're still working on details of how the day will run dependent on COVID-19 announcements but we'll have online and on-site options.

Bring a friend and you could be in to win a waterproof UEBOOM.

People can register here

CHRIST AMONG THE DISCIPLINES CONFERENCE

If you are interested in Christology, anthropology, and to listen to academic discussion from the leading Christology theologians in the world then you won't want to miss this conference.
Dr Christa McKirland is one of the panelists for Kathryn Tanner's Christ the Key and she's super excited!
The conference will be held online 23rd November. Go to the website and express your interest to attend. 

Website link