News

GMIM 28 July 2008

GMIM 28 July 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Russell Thorp writes…

I like to escape and go and watch a movie with my wife and children. Surely this is a world where I don’t have to think? Yet Hollywood has influenced the culture we are living in. Movies express the sorts of changes going on in our culture. In an interesting article in the Weekend Herald (Saturday, July 26, A17) entitled “Hollywood Switches Into Preacher Mode” the writer (Observer) begins with the observation that “movies that ask difficult questions are not welcome any longer- in an age of uncertainty the seasons trend is for pre-digested answers”. The writer is lamenting the packaged morality of recent films- a trend he puts down to the influence of America’s religious ‘right’ who are using the film industry as a pulpit. The sort of film the writer wants is one that asks questions. Yet the observation that we live in an age of uncertainty points to the reason for the shift. The writer describes Christopher Nolan’s new film The Dark Night as “a two and-a-half hour audio-visual assault so frenetic that it makes The Bourne Ultimatum look like Around the World in Eighty Days, the audience walks away with a moral flee in its ear. The instruction to the bullied kid (Batman): take off that cloak and get yourself a law degree”. In briefly reviewing the latest crop of movies, Wall-E, Ironman, Kung Fu Panda, Indiana Jones and Handcock as giving great entertainment and value for money, the writer says they show that “we’ve had enough of moral uncertainty- that its all got a little scary”.

I read this article with some pleasure, knowing that there are Christians working in the film industry who are making an impact in the latest crop of movies. They are becoming culture shapers. We might not all agree with the contents or images seen in the films yet the power of image and story is being used to get across some useful messages. Not the least of these is that there is ‘right’ and ‘wrong’. There are values worth living and dying for- that God can in fact use our abilities artistically or otherwise to speak into and shape the culture we live in. Increasingly people are open to moral certainty in a world that has become so uncertain that insecurity is a real problem.

Here is a useful website to visit if you are interested in using film to discuss issues of Christian faith. In this case it explores using The Dark Knight to teach spiritual truth.

http://www.wingclips.com/cart.php?page=newsworthy_articles27  

Does not wisdom call out?

Does not understanding raise her voice?

At the highest point along the way, where the paths meet she takes her stand;

Beside the gate leading into the city,

At the entrance she cries aloud… (Proverbs 8:1-3)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,

And knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. (Proverbs 9:8)

MONDAY 28th

Community Worship

PRIOR APPOINTMENT!

Visit the chapel anytime Monday through Wednesday for a self-guided time of prayer and reflection. Follow the instruction with the display.

TUESDAY 29th

Community Worship

11:15am-12pm

Spirit Then & Now Galatians 5:16-26

Mick Duncan

Facilitated by Intermission students

After Dinner Mints

Lindsay Jones

Lindsay   is the National Consultant for the Baptist Churches of NZ. He is responsible for helping to resource congregations and pastors for health and growth, developing a national strategy to promote and support church planting and to oversee the pastoral search and transitional ministries areas.

WEDNESDAY 30th

Carey Prayer in the Chapel

12:40-1:00pm

Praying for the college, community, country and people.

ART WEEK

4-8 August 2008

Create a piece of art to display or bring in something you already have...photography, painting, sculpture, etching, carving...you name it, there are plenty of options.

Please bring your art work to Rachel’s office with your name and the title of the work (if applicable) by Friday 1 August).

THE GAY DEBATE…

I now have some unsold copies of my 2002 book, Worlds in Collision: The Gay Debate 1960-1986. This book explains a crucial period in New Zealand history when gays moved from being socially rejected to being socially accepted. It is not an ethics or biblical studies book. Rather it a history, culture-explaining, type of book. You can purchase a copy for $5.00 at reception (proceeds go to Carey Students Association).                              Laurie Guy

CAN YOU HELP…?

Hellosmile I am a happy baby girl who is nearly ten months old and both of my parents sometimes take their books for a walk to a place called Carey. Recently, they told me that they wanted to find me a grown up friend to play games with and keep our house looking nice. But they said this would only be on a part-time basis. In return, they would give you food and a nice room in our house -just 2km from Carey initially email sarahgordon1066@hotmail.com                         Thanks.

MISSION OF THE WEEK

Mission of the week for the Centre for Intercultural Studies this week will be a joint venture: Perspectives and Operation Friendship, both represented by Michael Simkin.  Make sure you take a look some time during the week from Monday.

PRIOR APPOINTMENT THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK

"It's in the wilderness where we learn that we do not live by bread alone but by every word of God, and that His word is not only the most natural food for our soul, but the most necessary."                              

TRANSCRIPTS

Due to ongoing computer problems, transcripts with your results from Semester One have been delayed further.  These can now be expected toward the end of this week.  Apologies for this.

The GIFT conference...growing in faith together

this conference is for
senior pastoral leaders, children and family leaders, youth leaders and caregivers interested in crossing generational boundaries and engaging in partnerships in learning, life and worship

Friday 8th August & Saturday 9th August
9am - 7.30pm
St Columba Church, Botany,

480 Ti Rakau Drive
For more information check out

www.presbyterian.org.nz/kidsfriendly
or contact Sean Pawson s.g.pawson@xtra.co.nz

VENDING MACHINES

There are now two vending machines in the recreation room: one with snacks (including noodles) and the other with drinks. This was a common ‘want’ from the student survey which took place last semester so knock yourselves out and stay safe by not running across the road to Caltex!!

WAYNE WRIGHT CREATIVE MINISTRIES SCHOLARHSIP

The scholarship is a grant of up to $5000 to be used in 2009 in creative ministries. If you are interested or know of others who may be interested please contact Rachel for an application form and details (rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz ).

Application deadline is Friday 26 September.

FIELD EDUCATION AND MINISTRY & PRAXIS STUDENTS

People starting one of these courses this semester: please pick up your course book from reception if you haven’t already. a read and if you have any questions see Mike Crudge (who is onsite Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays). Mike is located upstairs via the back staircase in the same area as Charles Hewlett and Karen Schilperoort.

Email mike.crudge@carey.ac.nz or ph 526 6590

A NOTE FROM PAUL WINDSOR...

“In consultation with the Carey Board and Management Team a couple of decisions have been made related to the completion of my time at Carey Baptist College.

1. I will be finishing as Principal on 31st March 2009 and therefore able to assist with launching the new academic year - as well as coordinating Integrative Seminar and the Intro Preaching course one more time.

2. I will be returning to work from Study Leave on 4th August, rather than 1st September. I plan to make up that time over the quieter summer months."