News

S2 W6 (Even Week) @ Carey

S2 W6 (Even Week) @ Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 2 | TEACHING WEEK 6 | EVEN WEEK
An encouraging word from John

I WILL COMPLETE - Neroli Hollis

While we were enjoying an escape out of AUCKLAND (happy memories!!) I wandered upon a shop displaying a knitting pattern that I had seen before and which I had from time to time considered knitting - in the relaxed mood  a  holiday gives one I decided to purchase the pattern and the wool and the needles and actually knit it………………………..
… now I am no great knitter – just someone who does know how to put stitches on a needle and knit rows but who normally sticks to very basic little doable patterns within my comfort zone.
Before actually beginning I asked a more experienced older lady who I found at a Market knitting a few questions to work out some of the questions I had. 
So here I am taking one row and one instruction at a time working my way through the pattern – I read ahead a bit and every now and then panic about what I have got myself into  - it seems hard……………not easy to work out …………….time consuming and a little overwhelming…..I wonder at times if I will complete it………..
But I will do it – I set myself the challenge………took advise………………know a bit about what I have to do …………asked for help  and so I take one stitch at a time, one row at a time and it grows and grows……………………the completion of it comes nearer.
I will complete.

COMMUNITY LUNCHES & CHAPEL

These have been temporarily put on hold for next week.

WEDNESDAY ONLINE PRAYER MEETING

(12.40pm - 1pm)
This is still going ahead next week.

Here’s the link: https://zoom.us/j/94687555918

All are free to join as we pray for our community, nation and the world. Invite your household to join too!

CLASSES DURING LEVEL 3 LOCKDOWN

Please remember that the campus is currently closed due to Covid-19 Level 3 restrictions.
All classes have moved to fully online for weeks 5 and 6 (17 – 28th August). Please check your CareyOnline course pages for details about alternative Zoom classes and arrangements for online classes.
Please check CareyOnline for important updates on Covid-19 and the latest information about classes and the campus facilities.

HELP FOR THOSE ASSESSMENTS!

Yes, those assessments due dates are here (and some have already been!). Your best strategy for getting good grades is to hand those assessments in ON TIME! ? Remember there are a range of resources out there to help you.
Have you read through the 10 Essentials on CareyOnline? These resources give you key information about how to prepare, research and write up your assignments.
Do you really understand the assessment question? Read the assessment task carefully. Check in with your classmates, ask your teachers… but make sure you understand the focus of the question before you start researching or writing! Read the marking rubric carefully. This tells you what is important!
Don’t know where to find good information and resources? Start with recommended texts and articles. The library can also help you with the research for assessments. Email the team on library@carey.ac.nz. Talk to your classmates and share resources and books.
Having trouble putting those words in order? Yes, academic writing can be tough. Check out the 10 Essentials (we told you there was a lot of good stuff in there). Have you considered using the Peer Writing Assistants? Check out the info in this newsletter on how to access that service. Form a study group with friends.
Finally, if you are doing a Level 5 course, remember you can submit your assessment early and get your Turn It In similarity report immediately. This will let you see where you may have issues with your citation, referencing and/or use of original source material. You can then attend to these issues, and resubmit your assessment BEFORE the due date. The library team can help you understand the TII report – and you can read the guidance TipSheet here under the 10 Essentials page on CareyOnline
Assessment extensions. Please note that there are no blanket assessment extensions in place this semester (as was the case in semester one). If you are having trouble finishing your assessment and have a valid reason for needing as extension please complete the Extension Request form (on CareyOnline) and email to Neroli (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz) .
If you have any questions or are having trouble finding what you need please email Neroli! She would love to help you (even if she can’t give you a chocolate at the moment!)

Remember, your teachers, the library team, Neroli and Reti are all here to help. If you are struggling to get going… reach out and talk to someone. Don’t do it alone…

PEER WRITING ASSISTANTS ARE BACK!

Our peer writing support is again available in semester two. Huge thanks to Jono, Josh and Barbara who are our current peer writing assistants. Research shows that students are often the best people to help other students! If you would like help with your academic writing, wanting help to move that B essay to an A grade, or maybe that C to a B ? … then we have peer writing assistants available to meet you online or face to face (as Covid restrictions allow). To book one of these free sessions, please email : library@carey.ac.nz and include:
  • Your name and student ID number
  • Identify which assessment you are focussing on (course, assessment outline)
  • Identify what times you might be available

LIBRARY DURING LOCKDOWN

Library staff are working offsite during normal library hours. The physical library is closed at the moment.
We are able to provide ‘click n collect’ service from 10am-1pm , Monday to Saturday. Please request all books beforehand and notify us library@carey.ac.nz when you can come to collect the books.
Please contact us if you have any issues and we will try our best to support you.

If Auckland Alert Level changes then we will be posting an update to the library access on CareyOnline.

CHRIST AMONG THE DISCIPLINES CONFERENCE

If you are interested in Christology, anthropology, and to listen to academic discussion from the leading Christology theologians in the world then you won't want to miss this conference.
Dr Christa McKirland is one of the panelists for Kathryn Tanner's Christ the Key and she's super excited!
The conference will be held online 23rd November. Go to the website and express your interest to attend. 

Website link

CAREY SUNDAY

This coming Sunday is Carey Sunday! Carey is proud to have partnered with our Baptist whanau and Churches for nearly 100 years and this day is a day to celebrate.
John Tucker has provided a sermon, there's a prayer, cell group discussion questions and more.
If you call a Baptist Church your home tell your Pastor and spread the word!
Hopefully this will become an annual event.

CAREY GRADUATE SCHOOL - RESEARCH CONFERENCE

Save the date. This is going to be a great day of hearing from students as they talk about their research and academic dialogue. Come and be inspired!