News

Carey’s ongoing response to Covid-19 – Coronavirus

Carey’s ongoing response to Covid-19 – Coronavirus

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

A message from John Tucker:

Kia ora koutou,

Yesterday we referred you to the government’s recent decision to impose a 14-day self-isolation period for all travellers arriving in New Zealand from overseas (excluding the Pacific Islands). The COVID-19 situation is changing and developing rapidly. You may be aware that in some other countries tertiary institutions have temporarily shut down their onsite campuses. We are currently working on contingency plans so that, if this should become necessary here, we will be in a position to continue offering all aspects of our programmes online. We will keep you informed as these plans develop. For now, though, our classes for onsite students will continue as normal.

In the meantime, please remember to stay at home and not come onto campus if you feel unwell (sore throat, cough, elevated temperature). If you are unwell and cannot attend classes, please contact Neroli Hollis so that we are able to keep a record of this. And please be vigilant in practicing good hygiene by :

• Regularly washing your hands for at least 20 second (especially before and after meals)
  • Restraining from touching your face
  • No hugging, kissing, hongi, handshaking
  • Social distancing

Throughout history, the Christian church has often faced serious international health crises. At its best, the church’s response has been characterised not by fear, but by care – care for those who are most vulnerable. My prayer is that our response will also be marked by a deep trust in God and a sacrificial commitment to care for those who are most vulnerable to infection. Let’s do our best to stay healthy for the sake of the physically vulnerable amongst us, and also to minimise pressure on our health system.

Carey’s Management Team is keeping a watching brief on this situation. If you have any concerns or questions, please talk to us.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—

where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.