News

Week One: News and Important Info from Carey

Week One: News and Important Info from Carey

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0
SEMESTER 1   |   WEEK 1

I LIFT UP MY EYES 

Kia ora koutou. Welcome to Carey!
I’m so glad you’ll be journeying with us this year.
One of my favourite psalms is Psalm 121:
I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all harm—
    he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
    both now and forevermore.

The centre of this psalm, and the central message of this psalm, is this: “The LORD watches over you.” As you set out on your study this year, know that the Lord is watching over you. He is shading you with his presence. He will keep you and care for you.

But one of the ways he will care for you this year, is through his people. Psalm 121 is a “psalm of ascent,” a song that the people of God sang together as they journeyed up to Jerusalem each year. Theological study, like the life of faith, is not meant to be an individual journey. It’s best done in community, together with others.

And Carey is a warm and supportive learning community. We prioritise relationships as part of the learning experience. So, if you’re studying by distance, feel free to email and phone your lecturers. They want to help you. Participate in the online forums, attend any zoom sessions on offer, interact with other students.

If you’re onsite, please feel free to knock on the doors of lecturers and staff. And please participate fully in our community life. Come to our free lunches on Monday (12.40 pm) and Tuesday (12.00 noon). Make Tuesday chapel (11.15 – 12.00) a priority. That weekly event is the beating heart of our community. And feel free to join us for prayer on Wednesdays (12.40 – 1.00 pm).

My prayer for you is that this semester, or year, will be a season of rich nourishment and significant growth as you feed on God’s word, reflect on God’s work, and study God’s world.

“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”

John

CHAPEL WORSHIP - "I Lift up My Eyes" (Psalms 121)

Join us in Chapel each Tuesday as we focus on looking up to God. Our prayer is that as a community we will reflect more deeply and engage more fully in prayer in all its various forms: adoration, contemplation, confession, thanksgiving, intercession, listening and more...

Below is the full list of speakers and our Community Formation for this semester.

Our Principal, John Tucker, will kick start the year on Tuesday.

COMMUNITY LUNCHES

(12.30pm Monday | 12pm Tuesday)
Join us on Monday and Tuesday for our Community Lunches. This is a great time to get to know other students and staff while enjoying a delicious lunch together.

WEDNESDAY PRAYER MEETING

(Carey Chapel 12.40pm - 1pm)
George Wieland will be leading this time together. This is a time for everyone, staff and students together, to join and pray with one another.

WELCOME TO NEW STAFF

There have been a few changes here at Carey and we are delighted to welcome some new staff to the Carey team.

Dr Christa McKirland - Lecturer, Systematic Theology
Christa will be teaching Humanity and Hope, Christology and Thinking Theologically.
With degrees in philosophy, bible exposition, and systematic theology, she enjoys bringing these disciplines together in order to speak into what it means to flourish. 
Denise Tims - Kaiāwhina (assistant) for the Ngā Pou Amorangi programme on Tuesdays.
Denise is on the Carey Board and will also be a student in our graduate school, so we’ll be blessed to have her on campus in her multiple Carey roles this year. 
Manaakinui and Caleb Te Kahu  - Kaituitui
Kaituitui is a person who sews things together. They will be stitching together staff, students, our Whakaruruhau and kaumātua to ensure a good fit of tikanga at our Carey events.
Matt McKirland -
Course Media Administrator 
Welcome to a new academic year at Carey. We are so pleased that you have chosen to begin/continue studying with us this year and pray that your studies help enrichen and strengthen your relationship with Jesus! Semester starts on Monday 2 March – below are some key pieces of information to help you.

STUDENT HANDBOOK

The student handbook has key information about where to find important information and who to talk to if you have questions about your enrolment, fees, courses or other academic and pastoral support.
A copy can be found on CareyOnline from the homepage.

FIRST STEPS FOR NEW STUDENTS

If you are a new student, Carey has developed a self-directed induction course called First Steps which is available on CareyOnline. All new students are required to complete this course within the first four weeks of semester, and it will cover key aspects of academic literacy, academic writing and important aspects of academic integrity. This course should appear under My Courses in CareyOnline. If you have any issues accessing the course please talk to any of the library team.

CAREYONLINE

If you are a new student in 2020, you should have received your login information for CareyOnline – Carey’s Learning Management System (LMS) where all of the key course information is stored. If you can’t locate that information or are having trouble logging on to CareyOnline, please contact Neroli Hollis (neroli.hollis@carey.ac.nz).

For weekly taught courses (ie not block courses) the weekly lecture recordings should be posted in the Lecture Recordings section of your CareyOnline course within 48 hours of the onsite class. Please ensure you log on to CareyOnline regularly to check for messages and information from your course teachers.

ESOL SUPPORT

If you have English as an additional language, there is academic literacy and writing support available on Mondays. If you would like to access this support, there will be a meeting on Monday 9th March after lunch at 1:15pm where you can find out more. If you can’t make that time but would like to know more, talk with the team in the library for more information.

PEER WRITING ASSISTANCE

Carey runs a peer writing assistance programme. If you are a second or third (or more!) year student, and have good academic writing skills AND a willingness to help your fellow students with their academic writing, please get in touch with Rob Ayres (Academic Director). Training will be provided.

We are looking to form the team for 2020, so send your expression of interest to Rob and he will give you further information.

LIBRARY HOURS

Library hours during semester time
Monday – Thursday 8:30am-6:30pm
Friday 9am-5pm
Saturday 10am-12:30pm

FIRST STEPS - FRIENDLY REMINDER

All new students are required to do the First Steps course on Careyonline. If unsure, please contact library@carey.ac.nz

NEW COLLECTION

Check out the new e-books on NZ history. Ask the librarians if you have any questions.
"Dear children,
let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

1 John 3:18