News

GMIM - 14 April 2008

GMIM - 14 April 2008

by Deleted user -
Number of replies: 0

Lesley Utting writes...

"Community, communities and networks"

I want to encourage you all to be keen and active community members, whether it be at Carey, at church, your local sports club or cultural group.

Be involved in a wide range of communities and don't be so busy in your church community that you haven't got the time or energy to be involved in your "local" community.

In our churches we can end up being sucked in to being so busy that we haven't time to spend with our neighbours, friends and families. I think it is a trap that we can unwittingly and too easily fall in to.

I have always been a firm believer in being involved in my local community whether it be the Board of Trustees, local sports club or particular interest at that time in my life. I think this helps keep us real as Christians and to maintain a good work/life balance.

We are not called to live in a cloistered protective environment but we are called to love one another, to be available for our neighbours, friends and families. Make time to get to know your neighbours and your local tennis club members and be salt and light to them.

Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavours of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Matthew 5: 13 -16 (The Message)

Here's another way to put it:

You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colours in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand - shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up to God, this generous Father in heaven.

CommunityWORSHIP RETREAT

Leisured conversations about God and us

with Donna Dinsmore

LANYARDS AND SECURITY

AUCKLAND BAPTIST WOMEN'S MINISTRIES

Saturday May 17th    3.00pm to 9.30pm

Afternoon tea from 2.30pm

Northcote Baptist Church

67 Eban Avenue, Northcote

$20 per head

Inspiration, Music lead by many women from different cultures including PNG,  Biblical Oscars, Bazaar, Dinner, Fellowship & Fun

To register please see Rachel Murray by 11 May ph 526 6598; rachel.murray@carey.ac.nz

Payment to Lidy at reception

THE BREAK...

Classes will be on a break from Monday 21 April and restart on Monday 12 May. However I'm sure the study will continue☺

Library hours will remain as usual.

OPEN TUESDAY

Tuesday 20 May

8:45am - 4pm

An opportunity for those interested in study at Carey, to come and join us onsite and see what a day at Carey is like plus have the opportunity to ask questions.

If you know of people who may be thinking about coming to Carey, encourage them to this.

Contact Neroli for details of the day and to register. registrar@carey.ac.nz

AN EARLY REMINDER....

4-8 August 2008 is 'Art Week'

This is an annual event at Carey where you have the opportunity to showcase your artwork, whatever form that takes. More details will follow but if you're keen to create something just for this week start thinking about it now!! Sculpture, painting, photography...etc. etc...

"Chrysalis"

'Chrysalis: The hidden transformation in the journey of faith"  is the latest book from Alan Jamieson. Alan is associate pastor at Spreydon Baptist Church in Christchurch and also teaches 'Faith Development' at Carey.

"Christians often find their faith metamorphosing and do not know how to handle the troubling changes. Using the life-cycle of a butterfly as a metaphor, Alan helps readers to see that radical changes need not mean the death of personal faith. Instead he helps us to embrace them as part of a positive, Christian, Spirit-led journey with God."

$30 each (cash or cheque). Available from Neroli.

CAFÉ THEOS